Organic Matcha "Kaoru"

Green Tea
Grass, Seaweed, Umami, Vegetables
Edit tea info Last updated by leicesterteaguy
175 °F / 79 °C

From O-Cha.com

From O-Cha…

“Kaoru means “fragrant” in Japanese. We currently carry three grades of organic matcha, and although this is the middle ranked of the three, the quality is superb. From Shimoyama, located in Japan’s Aichi prefecture, this tea is grown at an elevation of 640-660 meters. Grown with only natural organic fertilizers and no agricultural chemicals, it is certified by JONA (Japan Organic & Natural Foods Association), meets JAS certification requirements, and also carries the USDA & European IMO seals (certificates on file.) Extremely fresh, our matcha are ordered shortly before shipped to our customers and are always stored under refrigeration. Try some today! Net weight 30gm, this product makes approximately 24 servings per can."

About O-Cha.com View company

1928 tasting notes

To my black teas and herbal/fruit blends, I may now add another category: I’ve tasted and written notes about all the matchas in my Steepster cupboard!

This was a nice one to end with. Though I should clarify, I still have a lot of matcha to drink — I’ve just ended my first tastings of the ones I have.

This has a fluffy mouth feel after whisking. It’s not sweet, more grassy/seaweedy than vegetal. No prominant marine notes and a bitter downturn in the finish that leaves a savory aftertaste.

It’s very nice. I’m giving it a middle of the road rating for now. I’ve whisked (both literally and figuratively) through so many matchas over the past few months that I haven’t given a lot of thought to their comparative ratings. Now that I’ve accomplished my first run through, I can take my time comparing them to each other.

Flavors: Grass, Seaweed, Umami

175 °F / 79 °C

yummy sweet grass. its getting me excited for spring – for the smell of freshly cut grass. helped me warm up after a rainy morning run/jog to get back into the swing of things after winter/injury/running break

Being pretty new to matcha, I ordered this (their middle-of-the-road version) and the ‘supreme’ version of it from O-Cha. I drank only the supreme until it was gone. I figured if I don’t know much about matcha, I’ll calibrate my tastebuds to what they consider their top category, then try out others to see if they’re missing anything. Oh, and this is. After spoiling myself with the delicately bittersweet deliciousness of the supreme, this was comparatively harsh, and missing the sweetness, leaving only the bitter. Maybe it’s one of those things where once I become a matcha junkie I don’t much care (you know, the way people who need their coffee will drink – and enjoy – Starbucks, but everyone else is better off with something more delicate), but for now, I’m going to go ahead with a monthly subscription to the supreme. Okay, the Starbucks comparison isn’t quite fair. I could still imagine myself drinking this one every day, but now I’m spoiled. If you’re only getting one, go for the supreme.

Pretty fantastic. The brightest green i’ve ever seen. I just wish good matcha wasn’t so expensive. I would drink it much more often.