Vintage Pu-erh

Pu-erh Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Shelley_Lorraine

• “Thanks so much for the samples, Octavia Tea! To be honest, I wasn’t expecting much in a pu-erh from a tea shop that doesn’t specialize in pu-erh, or at least carry more than a handful of them… but...” Read full tasting note
  • “My mother sent me some teas from this company. Highly unexpected since she usually doesn’t order her own tea, much less ship samples out. Though, I suspect she purchased it locally somewhere and...” Read full tasting note

From Octavia Tea

Revered for its medicinal value, Pu-erh is a dark tea from China’s Yunnan Province that, like a fine wine, can mellow and improve with age. Pu-erh undergoes an artisanal, microbial fermentation process that “ripens” the leaf and creates a bold, earthy character. Bringing to mind the satisfying smell of an old library, our Vintage Pu-erh offers intense aromas of raindrop-saturated earth, rich foliage, wet stone, creamy leather and moss. Many Chinese believe that dark tea carries the most health benefits & acts as a probiotic.

About Octavia Tea View company

Thanks so much for the samples, Octavia Tea! To be honest, I wasn’t expecting much in a pu-erh from a tea shop that doesn’t specialize in pu-erh, or at least carry more than a handful of them… but I WAS WRONG. This ripe pu-erh is amazing. None of those unlikable pu-erh characteristics in scent or flavor. It’s delicious the entire steep session. Just the pu-erh I was craving yesterday. Two teaspoons is the essential amount for a mug. The scent of the dry leaves is like a bread baked with hay. The flavor is much the same, but with sweetness, starchiness, and even at times a bit of a creamy taste and mouthfeel. I think I could have steeped more than three delicious steeps with these leaves. It’s very smooth but at the same time very dark and everything I always want in a great ripe pu-erh. I don’t bother with the highest quality pu-erh, but I’ve had enough pu-erh to know that this one is good enough for me to be a favorite.
Steep #1 // 2 teaspoons for a full mug // rinse // 20 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 7 minutes after boiling // 2-3 minute steep
Steep #3 // just boiled // 5 minute steep

My mother sent me some teas from this company. Highly unexpected since she usually doesn’t order her own tea, much less ship samples out. Though, I suspect she purchased it locally somewhere and not online. :)

I’ve never had an Octavia tea (that I can recall). I didn’t have particularly high expectations, but it turned out to be a better pu-erh than I expected. It’s not as sweet as some shu puerhs, but it has a pleasant stone, cold earth, and dirt flavor.

I’m used to Pu-er, in general, being able to handle multiple steeps well. This one only gave me two good steeps, imo. I did one 30sec and one 1min for the first two and they were the best.