Ancient Yunnan

Edit tea info Last updated by tea-sipper

1 Tasting Note View all

From Octavia Tea

This exquisite tea is harvested from ancient tea trees in China’s Yunnan Province, one of the world’s best tea growing regions. With a deep, well-rounded taste, each sip contains a complex array of flavors ranging from ripe fruit, cedarwood, peppery spice and sweet raisin. Subtle notes of cocoa whisper gently during this tea’s malty, lingering finish. Rich in antioxidants and anti-aging properties.

NET WT (per tin): 1.98 oz (56 g)

About Octavia Tea View company

1 Tasting Note

Thanks again for the amazing samples, Octavia Tea! This is a classic Chinese Yunnan tea: Black leaves with touches of gold. One heaping teaspoon seems to make the perfect brew. This is everything I want and expect in a classic Yunnan tea. The brew is black as night, the mouthfeel is smooth and silky, no astringency or bitterness can be found. Even the third steep in which I only filled the mug half full was very delicious and full of flavor. Lovely chocolate notes with hints of sweet potato and even a bit of a starchy quality. It’s a lovely tea. I really like it. I’d stock up on this one. The cupboard must always have at least one Yunnan!
I’ll also say: I do like many of Octavia’s teas, but their sizes are a bit awkward. They have a sample size that has a few teaspoons, then a tin with 1-3 ounces of each tea depending on the tea, then the other option is a full pound. (I like their packaging for the samples though – very thick and resealable!) So I wish they had a two ounce pouch option or something. That is my one complaint of Octavia’s awesome teas so far!
Steep #1 // 1 heaping teaspoon for a full mug // 16 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 3-4 minute steep