Green Tea
Dill, Dry Grass, Metallic, Musty, Smoke
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita

3 Images

• “Sampler Sipdown September! This is another tea I pulled from the last Here’s Hoping Teabox, so thanks to tea-sipper for organizing and those who contributed to the box! I’ve never tried a Young...” Read full tasting note
  • “Here’s Hoping Teabox – Round Seven- Tea #38 A tasty enough green tea, but it would be lost in the sea of mediocre green teas for me. It has unique packaging though! And I love seeing unique teas...” Read full tasting note

From Oliver Pluff & Company

Description: Green tea made from young leaves that are thinly rolled to have a long, twisted appearance that unfurls when brewed.

Notes: Full-bodied, warm, plum-like tones, spring-like in flavor. Young Hyson (picked in spring) is considered a higher quality tea than Hyson (picked after the rains).

History: Some believe it to have been named after an English tea merchant, Phillip Hyson. Hyson teas were highly prized by the colonial Americans and tax on Hyson was higher than for other teas. During the Boston Tea Party there were 70 chests of Hyson destroyed.

Type: Loose Tea

Shelf Life: 24 Months

Packaged in Charleston, South Carolina

About Oliver Pluff & Company View company

I’ve never tried a Young Hyson (that wasn’t in a blend), and I’m going to try not to judge all Young Hyson tea based on this one, because… it smells odd. The brewed cup has a slightly musty sort of scent? Also a little of that smoky aroma, but that I’m at least used to, from gunpowder green, and the Azerbaijan Azercay green I sampled the other night.

The flavor is really unappealing to me, like something fermented (I’d say pickle brine, though not as acidic/tart), with a flavor that I can only equate to “musty attic,” and a slightly smoky finish. I’m getting a bit of a metallic aftertaste as well. There is possibly some mild grassiness there, but the “off” flavors detract from it too much. I can’t imagine it used to be like this, so I’m thinking that this is a case of green tea well past its prime; pure greens don’t exactly age gracefully. If that isn’t the case, then my palate is just picking out some rather odd flavors here that aren’t working for me.

Flavors: Dill, Dry Grass, Metallic, Musty, Smoke

175 °F / 79 °C 2 min, 0 sec 2 g 12 OZ / 350 ML

Here’s Hoping Teabox – Round Seven- Tea #38
A tasty enough green tea, but it would be lost in the sea of mediocre green teas for me. It has unique packaging though! And I love seeing unique teas in the teabox.

gmathis

How coincidental—I just drank my first cup of an Oliver Pluff (gift from one of my sixth graders). I just like saying Oliver Pluff. Doesn’t that sound like a character in a Dickens novel?

tea-sipper

YES – the names Dickens uses are always fun.