Honey Orchid (Mi Lan Xiang) Oolong Tea Coins

Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

1 Tasting Note View all

From Paru Tea Bar

Mi Lan Xiang (“Honey Orchid aroma”) is cherished for its luscious flavor profile, and this particular run is compressed into miniature coins for simple brewing. Rinse coin with spring or filtered hot water prior to brewing. Steep each coin minimum of four times when brewing Gongfu style.

We worked with our growers and producers to custom roast and compress these coins.

Origin: Wudong, Guangdong

Ingredients: oolong tea

Caffeine level: Moderate

About Paru Tea Bar View company

1 Tasting Note

Gongfu!

This is the first straight/traditional tea I’m trying from Paru – I was intrigued because the only other compressed oolong in this style I’ve seen was from White2Tea, so I wanted to see how this would compare. It’s not as tasty as Milan Maocha, but I like it better than both the Fireflake and Snowflake coins.

I don’t drink much dancong (and I actually prefer it brewed Western) but this has some nice minerality and roasted notes up front – but then moves into more of those sweet honeyed and fragrant heady florals from which is gets its name. Orchid, magnolia, geranium. It’s also fruity! I get plummy undertones and fresh lychee top notes through the session – the lychee is the best part, in my opinion. Pretty smooth – only a little astringency/roughness around the edges.

Admittedly, I find more magic and interest in the unique tea blends from Paru versus this straight tea – just it was still really enjoyable!

Photo: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPWmvcCgArb/