Red Hood Oolong

Oolong Tea
Camphor, Coffee, Roasted, Smoke, Toast, Toasty, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea and Cheese Lover

• “Okay, this has been bugging me. Why is it Premium Steap? Why not Steep? What is a Steap? I feel like I’m missing something. Anyone? Anyone? Buller? Anyway, tea. Oooh, toasty. This smells...” Read full tasting note
  • “I intended to try this yesterday, but the day got away from me once the turkey was in the oven. So I decided I’d mix it up and start with oolongs today. I feel so adventurous! I am guessing this is...” Read full tasting note
  • “While it’s a decent tea, I’m not going to be picking this up ever again. When I went to this store, I was impressed by the selection. They have a lot of tea and plenty of tea accessories. The...” Read full tasting note

From Premium Steap

Grown at the peak of Wuyi Mountain, this Oolong has large, dark and twisted leaves with a woodsy aroma. It yields a smooth, rich malty taste and is great for several infusions.

Steeping Information:
1 heaping teaspoon for 8 oz
Heat water to 195 degrees
Steep 2 – 3 minutes

About Premium Steap View company

Anyway, tea. Oooh, toasty. This smells like fruits so heavily grilled they are past caramelized and almost into burnt. But in a good way. The taste is a lot milder as far as the toasty, but it is still there. It tastes a lot like grilled peaches and something else… something a little reedy maybe? It’s a very wet taste. There’s no astringency to this, just sweetness and light toasty-ness.

This is a tasty tea and my cup emptied surprisingly quick. I can’t say this something that I require in my pantry, but it’s tasty enough that I would enjoy it if I had some. Since this is so different from my typical, it’s a little hard to rate. I reserve the right to bump it up a bit if I find myself thinking this tea at non-tea times.
3.6g/7oz

__Morgana__

Maybe they’re BEAtles fans? No other guess. Lol.

Shanti

Maybe it’s supposed to be like s TEA p? Haha, I have no idea…

Stephanie

I think you’re right Shanti! I think it is supposed to be like S*TEA*p!

__Morgana__

Shanti’s answer makes a lot more sense than mine. I vote for that one! Lol.

Jillian

Typo? LOL :D

JacquelineM

Yes, Shanti is correct :) sTEAp! It’s funny because it’s a very elegant shop – not cutesy at all – except for the sTEAp!

Auggy

Yay! I’m so glad I asked! And that makes sense so I feel much better!

I am guessing this is Da Hong Pao, despite the hood nomenclature. It walks like a duck. The leaves are beautiful and big, dark and chocolate brown. They smell roasty-toasty. Actually they kind of smell like toast, the kind one makes in a toaster.

Stepped in the gaiwan after rinse. The Zo is still at 190F (what gives) for short steeps starting at 15 sec.

The tea is medium-dark amber and smells mildly toasty. No sharpness. For whatever reason, I find myself thinking this would make an excellent iced tea. It has a rather singular note on the first steep. No surprising sugars or florals, just a straight up roasted but mild flavor.

The second steep gets a little more interesting. There’s something that smells a bit like camphor in it, though it is very faint. And some wood. It’s still smooth, though there’s a high note that tends toward some sharpness. It’s drying to the mouth. There’s a tad of smoke in the aftertaste.

I’m trying hard to get what the description means by malty here. I’m not getting that. The third steep is similar to the second, though I taste a note that’s sort of like coffee, too. This is one tea that definitely changes from steep to steep. It becomes more complex, too. I suppose this is a reason not to drink it iced, but the idea of having it iced still intrigues me.

The fourth steep is similar. I don’t know whether it’s because I still have a bit of a sniffle, but this seems like it can grab your throat the wrong way when you’re not paying attention.

It has more going on than the ATR that I found a bit boring, and has some odd things about it that don’t endear it to me as much as the Andao. Rating accordingly.

Flavors: Camphor, Coffee, Roasted, Smoke, Toast, Toasty, Wood

190 °F / 87 °C

While it’s a decent tea, I’m not going to be picking this up ever again. When I went to this store, I was impressed by the selection. They have a lot of tea and plenty of tea accessories. The problem with my experience here was the service. The woman that was working that day (who I believe was the manager) was very rude to me. She wouldn’t acknowledge that I even entered the store and when I asked her for suggestions, she seemed very annoyed with me. It was clear that she didn’t want me in the store at all. Stay away.