2007 Daixiangyutuo (Tribute Tea from Dai Village) Tuocha 250g

Pu Erh Tea
Leather, Pleasantly Sour, Raisins, Tobacco
Edit tea info Last updated by Matu
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 5 oz / 135 ml

• “Bought this with my last order to Puerhshop. This was a fairly nice semi aged raw tea. It was very densely compressed. After it opened up there were some notes of tobacco and leather. These were...” Read full tasting note
  • “Man, I came close to ordering one of these…I ended up with two samples from two different puerhshop orders. I had pretty fond memories of my first try, but after having it a second time, I don’t...” Read full tasting note
  • “Note: my tuo was purchased through Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company; given that most of their pu seems to be sourced through other vendors, I just added this one instead of creating a new entry. Should...” Read full tasting note

From Puerh Shop

This is considered as the best of Bulang green pu-erh tuocha. We tasted many 2007 green pu-erh teas, and found this one outstanding in terms of quality and taste. Now we were told it’s made of Lao Man’e raw materials, then we said “No wonder”. Lao Man’e is a village closed to LBZ, as local farmers used t say “we are just a few blocks away from LBZ, and our tea is often sold as LBZ”.

It takes a while before the tea releases its flavor since it’s tightly compressed. It’s never boring to taste a camphor smell filled oily tea broth with pleasant after-taste.

Vintage: 2007

Factory: Menghai Banzhang Zhengshan Tea Factory

Form: Tuocha

Genre: Green/unfermented

Typical Weight: 250 grams/8.81 oz.

About Puerh Shop View company

Bought this with my last order to Puerhshop. This was a fairly nice semi aged raw tea. It was very densely compressed. After it opened up there were some notes of tobacco and leather. These were not too long lived and they were replaced at least largely by a sweet note. I failed to accurately identify this note but chestnuts and mushrooms came to mind. But that is by no means definitive. I will say it transformed into something fairly nice if not spectacular.

I brewed this twelve times in a 150ml gaiwan with 8g leaf and boiling water. I gave it a 10 second rinse. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min, 1.5 min, and 2 min. It could have gone a few more steeps but twelve was enough for me.

Boiling 8 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Man, I came close to ordering one of these…I ended up with two samples from two different puerhshop orders. I had pretty fond memories of my first try, but after having it a second time, I don’t think it’s anything I need to pick up. The dry aroma was nice and minty smelling. After a rinse, the leaves had a leathery slightly smoky smell – smelled like kind of old sheng I guess.

The liquid had a decent orange tint going on, indicating this sheng’s entrance into middle-agedness. First couple steeps were slightly thick, smooth, with leathery and menthol notes. The taste got pretty pungent a few steeps in, with the leathery becoming more tobacco. It started to gain a bit of a sour undercurrent that reminded me of raisins or craisins, without much sweetness. I got a bit of feeling from this tea in my throat – a slight constricting feeling. Not much otherwise in terms of body feel. Later steeps were pretty clean tasting, with tobacco and an “aged” note. Not bad tea, but not one I need to pick up a whole 250g of. I might have snagged one if they were 100g tuos, but there’s honestly much better tea I could spend $20 on.

Flavors: Leather, Pleasantly Sour, Raisins, Tobacco

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

Note: my tuo was purchased through Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company; given that most of their pu seems to be sourced through other vendors, I just added this one instead of creating a new entry. Should anyone have knowledge that this is a noticeably differently stored tea, I’d be interested to hear it.

This tea is reputedly from Lao Man’E, a region of some renown. It is famous for its tremendous strength and bitterness, and the dry leaf odor alone lends some credence to this claim, as it manages to smell like a kilo of tea in a 250g bag.

I didn’t leaf too heavily, this being the first Bulang I’ve had at all, and I didn’t want to have to spend my evening trying to find where my taste buds had landed after they’d been blown clean out of my head. I think I hit a decent proportion for a Bulang novice at about 1g/18mL, as the bitterness was certainly present in greater quantity than I would expect from a 9 year old sheng, but was not so bad that I didn’t thoroughly enjoy the first few cups. Later infusions softened comparatively, but never backed down to the point that you could be sure you hadn’t insulted the tea’s lineage in a past life and it was out for revenge.

This all being said, I do believe this is from very young trees/bushes – it didn’t exhibit tremendous complexity or particularly pronounced aftertaste (though the ku hung around for a bit, somehow in a manner rather enjoyable). Body effect was non-zero, but not impressive. Wet leaves were reasonably intact – most of any leaf was there, but rarely all. As this was my initial crack into the tuo, this could be a covering leaves only phenomenon. Leaf size was rather small.

Overall it was an interesting experience – if I’d read my account of it beforehand, I’d likely have expected to have enjoyed it less than I actually did. Perhaps next time I’ll go big and see if I have an even better time, or just get knocked on my keister.

Likely worth a sample if you like teas that bite back – not that I’m sure anyone offers samples of it. But at right around 20 per tuo, it’s a good value for a “daily drinker” IMO.

Just watch what you say about its mother.

Cwyn

Great review! Keep them coming!

Matu

I got a couple samples of this from puerhshop.com – I tried one and don’t remember it at all. I’ll have to go back to it and see :) I didn’t know it was Bulang material. Since I started paying attention to region, Bulang is one I’ve really enjoyed.