Himalayan Spiced Chai

Black Chai Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by tea-sipper

1 Tasting Note View all

• “‘Samurai’ Traveling Teabox – Tea #8 This was much less spicy than the chai I had the other day!  Despite being almost convinced by the lovely Uplifting Chai I had from Plum Deluxe last week, I...” Read full tasting note

From Rakkasan Tea

Grown and harvested on a small family-owned estate high in the Himalayan foothills of eastern Nepal, Himalayan Spiced Chai is a blend of black tea with a flavorful homemade mix of Ayurvedic spices. Spices include cloves, cinnamon leaves, orange peel, ginger, green cardamom, lemongrass, coriander seeds, black pepper and nutmeg.

Brewing instructions
Amount: 2 grams of loose tea (1 teaspoon) per cup of water
Temperature: 205 ̊ (Just below a rolling boil)
Steep time: 4 – 5 minutes

About Our Nepalese Tea

Grown in the Himalayan foothills, Nepalese tea is extraordinary. However, years of industry underdevelopment, coupled with a decade-long civil war, served to stunt Nepal’s economy. Development of tea farming in the country suffered as a result. Since the signing of a peace accord in 2006, Nepal’s tea growers have sought to share their product with more and more drinkers around the world.

Our Nepalese tea comes from small farms in Ilam and Panchthar, a region just 45 miles west of Darjeeling, at an altitude of between 5,000 and 6,000 feet. The region is semi-tropical and very sunny, but has abundant rainfall.

About Rakkasan Tea View company

1 Tasting Note

‘Samurai’ Traveling Teabox – Tea #8
This was much less spicy than the chai I had the other day!  Despite being almost convinced by the lovely Uplifting Chai I had from Plum Deluxe last week, I don’t usually like lemongrass or orange peel in my chai.  But they aren’t too bad here.  I like the addition of nutmeg in this, but I’m not really tasting it.  Why cinnamon LEAVES but no cinnamon?  That’s a weird choice… The resulting flavor is sweet and mildly spicy. Wisps of citrus in the second steep.  The black tea leaves in the blend are sparse, so the brew isn’t too dark. But I NEED dark chai.
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons for a full mug // 18 minutes after boiling // 2 1/2 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled  // 5 minute steep