Organic White Monkey

Green Tea
Butter, Hay, Nutty
Edit tea info Last updated by Micah

• “Absolutely wonderful. That is what I have to say about this tea. The leaves are beautiful. Long and twisted, downy in spots. They brew a very pale tea with a heavier scent than its taste. It smells...” Read full tasting note
  • “Continuing with the project to get through all the teas in my cupboard and write a note about them, this is today’s green. After yesterday’s disappointment with frothless matcha, I am thinking I...” Read full tasting note

From Red Blossom Tea Company

Gathered mid-March from the Wuyi Mountains of Northern Fujian. The tea is so named because the hand gathered silver tipped bud and leaves are lightly steamed, then shaped by hand to resemble a monkey’s paw.

Mild, subtly sweet and lightly buttery. Ecocert certified organic.

Water Temperature: 175°, or when very small bubbles appear on the water’s edge.

Brewing Instructions: Use 1 tablespoon (double for a medium sized pot). Rinse tea for 1 second. Discard rinse water. Steep for 1 minute. May be infused multiple times.

About Red Blossom Tea Company View company

Absolutely wonderful.

That is what I have to say about this tea.

The leaves are beautiful. Long and twisted, downy in spots. They brew a very pale tea with a heavier scent than its taste. It smells almost like sweetgrass. The flavor develops beautifully as the tea cools. It starts out like a very light pi lo chun. I don’t really know how to describe that flavor but its definitely akin to that class of teas. It tastes like a light chinese green, I guess. I don’t pick up on many other notes until it starts to cool and then it comes alive. This tea doesn’t relax me like a pi lo chun does. Instead, it refreshes. The flavor is delicate but lively. It has a faint grassy note but not like japanese teas. It’s more like sweetgrass. This tea is just so revitalizing. I couldn’t stop smiling while I drank it.

takgoti

Smiling tea ftw, for sure. We all need at least one smiling tea in our lives.

Angrboda

Smiling tea, that sounds like you’ve stumbled across a celebration tea. :)

Continuing with the project to get through all the teas in my cupboard and write a note about them, this is today’s green. After yesterday’s disappointment with frothless matcha, I am thinking I will skip the matcha candidate today and go directly to oolongs after this.

The dry leaves in the packet smell wonderfully sweet, like fresh mown hay. Which makes me think of Elton John’s Skyline Pigeon for the first time in years.

The steeped tea is, remarkably, colorless. The only thing that indicates it isn’t just water is some suspended solids in the tea. The aroma, too, is very faint. A tinge of sweetness and butter.

The flavor is subtle, but lovely. A freshly grassy, slightly nutty, slightly buttery flavor. I would like to taste this one on a rested palate, as I believe there is more to it that I am missing having had a couple of heavily flavored teas already this morning.

Flavors: Butter, Hay, Nutty

Cameron B.

“Continuing with the project to get through all the teas in my cupboard and write a note about them…”

Yaaaas sister, preach!

Mastress Alita

In theory, this would work… if we stopped adding more tea to our inventories, except for the little detail that… we um… never do…… * shifty eyes *

Cameron B.