Iron Goddess of Mercy (Tie Guanyin)

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea
Brown Toast, Butter, Dry Grass, Floral, Fruity, Gardenias, Honeysuckle, Nectar, Roasted Barley, Wet Moss, Wet wood, Wet Earth, Wet Wood, Creamy, Flowers, Green, Roasted, Sweet, Wood, Dried Fruit, Chestnut, Smoke, Autumn Leaf Pile, Burnt Sugar, Cacao, Coffee, Oak wood, Maple, Meat, Umami, Vanilla, Baked Bread, Nuts
Medium
Kosher
Edit tea info Last updated by Rishi Tea

2 Images

• “I wanted to revisit this tea and give it a proper evaluation for 2 reasons… 1.) This tea is still by far my favourite oolong. And Rishi must have just released their latest and greatest crop into...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks to fellow Steepsterite, Tamm, I have a hefty pouch of this tea in my drawer at work. It’s great for work since I can just sprinkle some leaves in a mug and fill it with hot water over and...” Read full tasting note
  • “After a whole day of studying I’m glad to relax with this cuppa! This tea has such tiny little rolled leaves. :3 super cute! While steeping the smell of this reminds me somewhat of brown rice or...” Read full tasting note
  • “Hurrah! An incredible oolong with fantastic floral notes, a bright flavour with a subtle sweetness. Rishi has upped the game with this Iron Goddess – a tea worthy of rolling in the Oolong gang with...” Read full tasting note

From Rishi Tea

A specially baked tea made to order for Rishi Tea each spring and winter. Tae Guan Yin is known as Iron Goddess of Mercy and is the most famous oolong tea. Our special grade of this tea is hand-harvested from the soft stem Wu-Yi tea bush cultivar that is descended from the original tea bushes introduced to Taiwan from Fujian in the 19th Century. Made according to the traditional Tae Guan Yin oxidation and bamboo coal baking techniques developed in China’s Fujian province, our Iron Goddess of Mercy is a special treat for oolong tea lovers.

About Rishi Tea View company

Rishi Tea specializes in sourcing the most rarefied teas and botanical ingredients from exotic origins around the globe. This forms a palette from which we craft original blends inspired by equal parts ancient herbal wisdom and modern culinary innovation. Discover new tastes and join us on our journey to leave ‘No Leaf Unturned’.

didn’t enjoy this tea. bland, bitter, and loses its “flavor” after the second infusion.

I definitely have enjoyed this tea. It really has a delicious, bold flavor that stands out. I agree with Mercuryhime though in that the first two infusions are the best, even if that is not typical for oolong.

Awesome toasty flavor. I can’t stop drinking this stuff. I think I’m going to get 6 or so full infusions from these leaves.

The raw tea has a dry aroma, somewhat of grain and fruit.
Brewed, the tea is a golden color with an aroma that is roasty, perhaps of toasted nuts.

First Steeping: Moderate flavor, with floral notes and a toasty nuttiness. Almost no astringency.
Second Steeping – Same temp 5 minutes: Very similar to first steeping. No astringency.
Third Steeping – Same temp 8 minutes: A bit milder than the last steeping. Three is probably all that can be had out of this tea.

I really like this tea though I don’t get the floral notes others detect. To me, it smells like dried ripe fruit, tastes like roasted grains, and has an underlying sweetness that’s hard to describe. I make it in a gaiwan and use quite a bit of leaf. I use enough tea to the gaiwan will be almost full once they unfurl. I start with a 15 sec. infusion (after washing the tea) and add 15 more seconds to each subsequent infusion. This tea takes multiple infusions very well and fully develops by the 3rd infusion.

Another big plus for me is that I can get this at my local tea merchant for a reasonable price (actually cheaper than buying it directly from Rishi’s website), so, when the mood strikes, I don’t have to wait a few days to get it, I can just drive a few blocks and restock.

This has become my favorite tea. The color, scent, and taste are all fantastic!

My first loose leaf oolong at home. Very nice. Rich and grassy. Bright. Sweet. Nutty.

One of the better commercially-available Iron Goddess teas I’ve tried. A nice light oolong. Got a nice cup from the Metropolis Coffee flagship.

After a rough day at work, I just had to unwind for awhile, and so, I spent a little time relaxing at one of my favorite spots in my hometown. This tea was on the menu today, and having had it in the past, I felt the need to revisit it. I have to say that I am glad that I did.

The tea shows a nice greenish yellow in the glass. Very floral, faintly fruity aromas are immediately apparent on the nose. I was reminded of a mixture of gardenias and honeysuckle. Closer inspection revealed subtle aromas of moss, wood, earth, dried grass, and lightly browned toast. To me, this tea just smells like spring.

In the mouth, the floral notes of gardenia and honeysuckle mingle with a nectar-like sweetness and a faint, if rather nondescript fruitiness. Grainier, earthier notes soon follow to balance things out, as brown toast, wet moss, moist earth, and hints of wet wood, dried grass, and roasted barley all join the fray. The finish is mellow and rather short, offering lingering grainy, woody, and earthy notes underscored by floral sweetness. I also thought I detected a very faint buttery note, but it might just be me.

I seem to enjoy this tea every time I seek it out and this time was certainly no exception. This is a very approachable oolong with a mild, yet still rather complex aroma and flavor profile. I highly recommend it to those interested in an easy sipping oolong with enough complexity to keep one intrigued.

Flavors: Brown Toast, Butter, Dry Grass, Floral, Fruity, Gardenias, Honeysuckle, Nectar, Roasted Barley, Wet Moss, Wet wood