Hairy Crab (Mao Xie)

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Mark Torromeo
190 °F / 87 °C 3 g 2 oz / 60 ml

From Silk Road Teas

A lightly oxidized, very aromatic Oolong made from a cultivar of An Xi Region. This varietal offers a sweet aroma and wonderful fruity cup. The name does the tea no favor! Well-crafted, a bright green color yet subtley oxidized, it offers a complex and refreshing taste. Rinse briefly, then steep 1-2 minutes, water 195-200 degrees.

About Silk Road Teas View company

My first hairy crab oolong so I don’t really have anything else to compare this one to. I picked this one up at the Bulk section of Whole Foods to try this afternoon. Some other descriptions I’ve read of hairy crab oolongs say they have a floral perfume but I did not pick that up here, thankfully ;)

About 90 seconds of steeping time in near boiling water yielded me a golden-green color of tea. I am pretty fond of this one actually. It is brothy and rich with a touch of honey flavor. Lightly oxidized Chinese and Taiwanese oolongs are fast becoming my favorite tea for the afternoon and I really like drinking them out of a glass mug to admire their delicate colors. There is no need to add milk or sugar since they are really delightful on their own. I will definitely need to do some more experiments with hairy crabs from different companies.

180 °F / 82 °C

One of my favorite teas, though I often use a little extra to get a good flavor. It is a light tasting tea, and very subtle. Great for a relaxed Sunday morning.

Moving through the teas I picked up yesterday.

3g, 60mL, 195F, flash rinse followed by 8 steeps at 10/15/20/25/30/40/50/60s.

The dry leaf smelled kind of light with notes of spinach, white floral, cream and sugarcane. The liquor started quite fragrant and was light- to medium-bodied with toasted rice, a brightness like citrus and some astringency. The second steep (lol I said belied – removed) suggested the flavors of the rest of the session with buttery toasted rice and corn, tartness, a slight metallic tone and a pretty strong aftertaste of buttery cooked peaches/apricots and generic sourness that lasts. Bottom of the cup scent of sugarcane. The astringency and tartness continued to grow to unenjoyable levels, so I cut it off after a 1-minute brew.

This was my first Mao Xie and could be my last but I’ll have no problem finishing the rest of the bag since it’s a small amount. I guess I’m just not too much a fan of rolled Chinese oolong, but somebody who appreciates their profile more than I do might also enjoy this one.

195 °F / 90 °C 3 g 2 OZ / 60 ML
Bluegreen

A shout out from a fellow tea drinker who is also not the biggest fan of balled oolongs. I would still suggest trying a couple more of Hairy Crab oolongs. Some that I tried are pretty good and did not have that astringency that put you off but instead had a lot of grass and flowers with a good dose of sweetness. Mao Xies tend to be pretty inexpensive and mass-produced so encountering a disappointing one is not uncommon but the good ones are quite pleasant in their own cheerful way.

derk

I’ll try Mao Xie again if I come across a high-grade production. Unlikely?

Decent. Could take it or leave it. Great aroma though.