Decaf Earl Grey

Edit tea info Last updated by tea-sipper

• “I don’t usually allow myself to break into teas the day I receive them, but I’ve been out of decaf Earl grey for so long, and my life was incomplete! I think my mouth is used to the flavor of decaf...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’ve been looking for an Earl Grey decaf and S&V has plenty of decaf options! The base here is light but not off tasting like some decaf options sometimes are. Decaf is tough to get right,...” Read full tasting note

From Simpson & Vail

Earl Grey teas, traditionally, were blends comprised of varying black teas with Bergamot oil added to them. Today, any tea (green, white, herbal) that is sprayed with Bergamot oil is known as Earl Grey (such as our Emerald Green Earl Grey, Rooibos Earl Grey, …). Every tea merchant carries an Earl Grey black tea blend, but they are all very different due to the variations in black teas used for the blend and the quality of the bergamot oil. Here at Simpson & Vail we only use the highest quality natural bergamot oil.

Bergamot oil comes from the rind of the bergamot orange, which grows on the citrus tree Citrus bergamia. The oil expressed from the rind is used, in addition to making Earl Grey tea blends, quite frequently in the cosmetic industry. Bergamot oil can be found in soaps, lotions, oils and perfumes and has been said to help alleviate depression as well as used as a digestive aid and used to help skin irregularities (such as psoriasis).

Earl Grey tea is a favorite with bakers in many culinary recipes. It goes especially well with cakes, cookies, confections and any recipe with chocolate!

This Decaffeinated Earl Grey tea brews to the flavor and aroma you love in our regular Earl Grey. So delicious you won’t miss the caffeine!

Ingredients: Decaffeinated black teas and natural flavor.

Brew tea at 212º – steep for 3 minutes.

Certified Kosher

This tea is decaffeinated using the all-natural CO2 process. Natural CO2 Decaffeination To decaffeinate tea it is necessary to find a solvent that will remove the caffeine from the leaf, while keeping as many of the healthy benefits and the taste profiles in. The best method we have found is natural CO2 decaffeination. This method consists of putting moistened tea leaves in a chamber, adding CO2 and pressurizing it. CO2, when pressurized, becomes a liquid which effectively removes caffeine from tea leaves, while just as effectively not removing many of the healthy benefits. When the liquid is poured off the leaves and the leaves are dried, the CO2 reverts back to its gas form and dissipates from the leaf. Decaffeinated teas generally still have 1-2% caffeine.

About Simpson & Vail View company

I don’t usually allow myself to break into teas the day I receive them, but I’ve been out of decaf Earl grey for so long, and my life was incomplete! I think my mouth is used to the flavor of decaf Paris since I’ve had so much of that…I think I don’t like regular Earl grey as much as I like that. So anyway, this tea is pretty floral, and the black is light. It turned into a nice latte. I’d probably try some other brands before rebuying this one, but it was tasty.

I’ve been looking for an Earl Grey decaf and S&V has plenty of decaf options! The base here is light but not off tasting like some decaf options sometimes are. Decaf is tough to get right, but this one gets it right. I’m really picky with bergamot so this might not be my ideal bergamot, but it also isn’t a bad tasting bergamot — it’s crisp and bright and great for the light base. My perfect bergamot with this decaf base would be amazing, but I won’t say no to this tea.