Lilac Bouquet

Bergamot, Earl Grey, Floral
Edit tea info Last updated by tea-sipper

From Simpson & Vail

Romance of the leaves! Springtime wouldn’t be complete without the intoxicating aroma of lilacs blooming! Towards the end of every winter I anxiously check my lilac bushes every day for the new growth that heralds the end of the snowy season. In bloom, their aroma has the ability to brighten my day and make all my dreams seem possible. I cut the blooms and place them in a vase in my car so I can carry their abundant fragrance with me on my travels.

We created this floral tea so that I can enjoy the amazing aroma of lilacs at any time of the year. This tea blend brews to a deep amber cup with a fragrant taste that leaves a delightful flowery aftertaste on the palate.

Ingredients: Black teas, erica flowers and lilac flavor.

Brew tea at 212º – steep for 3 minutes.

Certified Kosher

About Simpson & Vail View company

My goodness, this really smells like the real deal and it tastes really good. Wonderful cure for the wintertime blues. Very girly, girly, but not cloying or too sweet. Maybe a spice cookie to offset it.

Today was my birthday which was pretty uneventful but I babysat for a friend which was fun. This is a freebie that came with the teas I bought from Tea-Sipper’s Stash Sale. I’d been wanting to try this one and she was kind enough to send me some of it. It’s also my first time trying a tea from Simpson & Vail. This note is going to be brief as I am exhausted from babysitting all day.

I prepared this as the instructions said to and added the tiniest bit of honey and milk.

Taste wise I’m getting some soft floral notes that remind me of earl grey tea. Yet isn’t any bergamot in this or cornflower petals. My initial thoughts are that this is not what I expected it to taste like but if it were actually an earl grey tea. It would be an exceptional earl grey. The black tea base isn’t specified what type they use but it is really tasty and pairs nicely with the floral-ness. I don’t get lilac from this unfortunately but really am enjoying this. I definitely wouldn’t mind buying some more of this for my cupboard but would need to make a note to reach for it when I’m craving some EG.

Flavors: Bergamot, Earl Grey, Floral

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Starfevre

Happy Birthday!

mrmopar

Happy Birthday!

Calochortus

This sounds like an interesting tea. Happy Birthday!

LuckyMe

Happy b-day! Too bad this one didn’t live up to expectations…I would love to try a lilac scented tea someday.

Lexie Aleah

Thanks guys and I can’t complain since it still tasted really great.

Mastress Alita

I know this is late, but it’s been taking me a while to work through reading my back-log of tea reviews, so happy belated birthday! I hope to try lilac tea someday, one of the few florals I haven’t sampled yet. It is probably my favorite smelling flower, though!

tea-sipper

Happy belated birthday! I hope you don’t give up on this one tasting like lilac. If you ever buy from Simpson & Vail, I’d suggest buying some super fresh.

1928 tasting notes

I thought I’d entered all of my non-sample teas in my Steepster cupboard, but periodically I find one that slipped through the cracks.

This is one of those.

The aroma in the tin reminds me of every other Simpson & Vail tea in my order, only stronger. And now I’m thinking that this is the culprit that shared its smell with all of the other teas. Who knew that packaging was so important? I haven’t ordered from S&V in a while. I certainly hope they’ve improved their packaging and are no longer using paper bags — the kind that they have in the grocery store to place under the coffee grinder.

Anyway, I am not good when it comes to differentiating the smells of various types of purple flowers. When I smell something I know is lilac, I’m like — hey, yeah, lilac. Same when I smell something lavender or violet. But put them all in front of me and ask me which is which? I might be able to do it, I guess. But it seems unlikely because I don’t have a clear entry in my mental database that I can call up as any of these.

The fragrance of the steeped tea is a delicate floral, with a tad of the soap/lotion that plagues some floral blacks. The tea is a pretty standard black tea color, perhaps a little darker and a little redder than some.

The flavor is much like the smell, only intensified. I wouldn’t say this is a subtle flavor, or particularly delicate, but neither is it eyewateringly unpleasant. It’s juicy enough that it doesn’t have that dead flower thing going on that some chamomiles have. Thankfully the soap/lotion is less, and there’s an interesting sweet upturn at the end of the sip which makes it enjoyable.

As I sit here, I can’t recall what other lilacs I may have had and how they stack up. But I’m now wanting to taste purple flower teas back to back just for laughs.

Flavors: Floral

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 17 OZ / 500 ML
teepland

This sounds interesting. We had a lilac bush in the backyard of my childhood home and I occasionally miss the smell of fresh lilacs. I’d be interested to try that as a tea flavor—I’ll add this to my wish list!

Standard black tea with tiny purple lilac buds, lightly floral and delicious. Would buy again.

Oh I love the tiny little buds in this tea! Such a nice touch… the flowers so tiny you can barely see them. Lilac season is almost here! There are a few lilac bushes in the yard — probably the best time of year for the yard while they are in bloom. Maybe because it’s towards the end of winter I can’t really say how much this tea resembles lilacs, but the tea is certainly floral enough while not being too much for me. Nothing can really beat fresh lilacs though. First steep session, one teaspoon didn’t seem enough for my tastes. With a teaspoon and a half, I get a depth of black tea that pairs perfectly with the floral – a nice brisk black tea. There aren’t too many floral teas in my collection (especially not unless they are jasmine), so I’m very happy I bought a bit of this one. Will be drinking it especially in Spring! The price was amazing too. I wish others would give S&V a chance. They have been around since the 1920s! Nothing but positive things to say about online ordering… though I do wish they would use different packaging for the teas. svtea.com
Steep #1 // 1 1/2 teaspoons for a full mug// few minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 3-4 minute steep

__Morgana__

I just had an S&V this morning. :-)

I just received a S&V order this morning. haha. :D

Christie Lee

Interesting! Would you say that the flavor is similar to the fragrance of lilac? :)

tea-sipper

It’s hard to tell if it is exactly like lilac, but it is definitely floral and definitely much more like lilac than jasmine would be.

Christie Lee

It has spiked my curiosity! I have yet to try any lilac teas… or lilac inspired anything for that matter. Thanks for the quick reply! :)

AllanK

Simpson and Vail is probably my favorite US independent tea store. They have good quality tea at reasonable prices.

Nope, just not my cup of tea. Nothing I can do makes it taste like anything but perfumed powder or soap. It’s more like something I’d want to wear, not drink. Seems as far as florals go, lilac isn’t for me.