Yellowstone

Bergamot, Black Teas, Blue Cornflowers, Oat Straw, Safflower, Strawberry
Edit tea info Last updated by Orphia

1 Tasting Note View all

• “It’s a good day to start reviewing some of the teas I have while rewatching Harry Potter movies. Don’t see too many prickly pear teas around other than herbal ones (and those will usually have...” Read full tasting note

From Simpson & Vail

“However orderly your excursions or aimless, again and again amid the calmest, stillest scenery you will be brought to a standstill hushed and awe-stricken before phenomena wholly new to you” -John Muir on Yellowstone.

After multiple explorations, it was decided that the unique geothermal properties of the area, now known as Yellowstone National Park, needed to be preserved. In 1872, President Grant signed a protection act in order to begin the preservation process, making Yellowstone the first official US national park. The National Park Service was not yet created, so the US Army took over responsibility of Yellowstone in order to strengthen and enforce regulations. Unfortunately, the Army was unable to effectively prevent poaching, especially of the nation’s now oldest and largest public bison herd, and they also lacked the knowledge of the area that visitors craved. With the help of some influential conservationists, such as Theodore Roosevelt, John Muir, Woodrow Wilson, and many others, the National Park Service was created in 1916 with the top priority being preservation and appreciation for nature. In 1929, the same year Simpson & Vail was incorporated, Yellowstone received a boundary adjustment made to include a significant area of petrified trees (fossilized vegetation). Followed by a final boundary adjustment, in 1932, creating the final borders of the first US National Park that millions of people visit today. I found this a challenging blend to create. Not only is Yellowstone widely known, but Wyoming itself is one of my favorite places. So, representing my love for this area and the beauty of this famous park gave me pause. Ultimately, I decided to not only represent flora in the park, but also the visual delights found here. The multitude of colors of the Grand Prismatic Spring are shown within the blend, along with prickly pear flavoring for the cacti that grow in and around the park. To top it off I added a hint of bergamot to represent the “wild bergamot” flowers in the park. The resulting cup is fruity and flavorful with a sweet, creamy, prickly pear flavor and an underlying bergamot taste.

About Simpson & Vail View company

1 Tasting Note

Don’t see too many prickly pear teas around other than herbal ones (and those will usually have hibiscus, which is the biggest NO ever for me), so this had me curious. Plus, 10% of all sales in the National Parks tea line go to charities supporting those parks.

The first thing that hit me when I opened the package was a strong fruity scent that reminded me of gum or candy. That carries over to the brewed tea as well, to the point that I could still smell it from the other room over. I mainly tasted prickly pear and strawberry. The bergamot, not so much. If you were expecting something like a prickly pear Earl Grey, you’d be disappointed. If you like fruity teas, strawberry, or prickly pear, I’d give it a shot.

tea-sipper

Oh the first one on Steepster to try the parks teas! :D

Orphia

Yep. Look at me, being a trendsetter. :D Think I’ll try the Smoky Mountains blend when I don’t have a massive surplus of teas on-hand.