Breakfast in Paris

Bergamot Oil, Black Tea, Lavender, Vanilla Extract
Bergamot, Lavender, Vanilla, Cocoa, Cream, Toast, Floral, Mint, Sweet, Artificial, Astringent, Citrus, Berries, Honey, Tea
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Teatotaler

4 Images

• “I’m a gaming geek. Every Friday night, I’m seated at a table along with my motley bunch of nerds rolling dice, playing an axe wielding barbarian, a creepy necromancer, or an exuberant bard. ...” Read full tasting note
  • “I’m a fan of strong black teas, and citrus-y Early Gray, but not so much for teas with floral notes. However, this tea with it’s bergamont oil, vanilla and lavender is just exquisite. It has a...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is the first tea with bergamont oil that I’ve had in years. I did not like Earl Grey at all the first time I tried it, and I’ve been avoiding it for years. But this, this tea is divine! I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Earl grey with a bit of lavender! A nice change from Stash’s amazing double bergamot earl grey which is always in my cupboard. The vanilla and lavender is delicate, subtle and not overpowering....” Read full tasting note

From Stash Tea Company

Bring a touch of Paris to your morning with our Parisian-inspired blend. Aromatic and floral, lavender is the perfect complement to the citrus bergamot oil and full-bodied black tea. This tea is well-rounded and would pair perfectly with your favorite pastry or baguette.

Details

Ingredients – Tea Bag
Blended black teas, lavender, bergamot extract, vanilla extract

Ingredients – Loose Leaf
Blended black teas, lavender, bergamot extract, vanilla extract, natural hazelnut flavor

Steeping Instructions
3-5 minutes at 190-209 degrees Fahrenheit

About Stash Tea Company View company

I’m a gaming geek. Every Friday night, I’m seated at a table along with my motley bunch of nerds rolling dice, playing an axe wielding barbarian, a creepy necromancer, or an exuberant bard. Dungeons and Dragons, (well, they call it Pathfinder now) is a fun but sedentary game with the unfortunate side effect of the gaming table attracting all sorts of junk food. So besides doing battle with imaginary monsters, each week I find myself at war with my own lack of willpower.

Fortunately, there are other tea enthusiasts among my gaming companions. Upon learning this, I purchased a new tea cup, loaded a small tin with my best assortment, and tucked them into my gaming bag alongside my notebooks, gaming guides, and accumulated dice.

I have declared 9pm on game nights as “Tea time.” A nice hot cup of tea is a fine thing. Once I have that before me, all those chips and cheese doodles seem ridiculously unrefined by comparison. They seem beneath my sophisticated palate and I don‘t want them so much anymore. It’s a welcome respite and distraction.

This week, I tried a new flavor—Breakfast in Paris by Stash. I had been craving Savoy’s Paris Morning, the tea I waxed poetic about last winter and while I had a delightful experience with Parisian Breakfast Black from The London Tea Room, it was different enough from my old favorite to leave me reminiscing. So when I saw that Stash had a version of the same concept, I grabbed it. After all, I consider Stash to be pretty good at their art. Many of their blends have a permanent place in my cupboard, so I was eager to try their take on Paris.

This blend clearly represents morning in a different part of Paris than I am used to. Savoy’s version depicts Paris right next to the vanilla bean vender’s market stall. It would appear Stash represents Paris downwind of the lavender and bergamot fields or else in the professional laundry district.

I like lavender. I like it a lot. I’ve been known to make lavender bread, lavender lemonade, lavender apple crisp, lavender fruit salad, and lavender-vanilla coffee drinks. But I’m also aware that too much of the stuff can make your food and drink taste like laundry detergent. This tea is definitely too much of a good thing.

Maybe it’s an unbalanced batch. I can’t detect any vanilla at all and the levels of lavender and bergamot are intense enough to be harsh and slightly irritating to my mouth. There’s nothing particularly attractive about the underlying tea either. To add insult to injury, the strings are not firmly attached to the tea bags and come off when I’m attempting to use them. I’m not enchanted at all by this. Hell, I could make a better version of it myself, and I’m no master blender by any stretch of the imagination.

It smells nice though. Maybe I’ll try a very dilute cold brew and dump in some vanilla extract. Or if that doesn’t work, use it to make a nice lavender scented rinse for my hair.

gmathis

Chips, cheese doodles, and Breakfast in Paris—-love the combo!
(A Savoy visit is on the calendar soon…wonder if I should email them to stock up on Paris Morning :)

MsWhatsit

I bought a large tin of it over the holidays. Cringed a little at the cost, but as much of it as I go through, it just makes sense to buy it in bulk.

gmathis

(Hi there! Good to see you.)
Been a while since we’ve been your direction—are the savings noticeable when you buy several ounces @ Savoy?

MsWhatsit

Sorry, I don’t remember. It was at the end of a long day of Christmas shopping and I was feeling a bit reckless. I probably didn’t even look at the price.

I’m a fan of strong black teas, and citrus-y Early Gray, but not so much for teas with floral notes. However, this tea with it’s bergamont oil, vanilla and lavender is just exquisite. It has a lovely round, smooth feel and the lavender is a secondary note that’s delightful and slightly lingering but not over powering. I like it brewed for a full 5 min. and add a splash of milk.

MsWhatsit

Yours must have been from a better batch than mine. Glad to hear you had a more positive experience.

This is the first tea with bergamont oil that I’ve had in years. I did not like Earl Grey at all the first time I tried it, and I’ve been avoiding it for years. But this, this tea is divine! I bought it for one of my students and decided to have a cup with her. I loved the balance of lavender, vanilla, and citrus. It has no bitter aftertaste, but that might be due to the honey I added. I also only steeped it for about 3 1/2 minutes. The only downside – I don’t normally drink strong black teas and I got a bit jittery since I was also enjoying my normal morning milk oolong tea in my Timolino. Definitely a tea to put on my re-order list!

Earl grey with a bit of lavender! A nice change from Stash’s amazing double bergamot earl grey which is always in my cupboard. The vanilla and lavender is delicate, subtle and not overpowering. It’s a really elegant tea.

Lovely aroma from the lavender, bergamot and vanilla. In the loose-leaf version that I had, I found their impact on the flavor of the brewed tea was a little muted. There’s definitely some floral character, but it mostly tastes like black tea to me. As I usually tend toward greens, this makes it pretty good in my book, but not a favorite.

4 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

I found this tea to be pure delight in my cup of breakfast tea this morning. It reminds me of lady grey tea by Twinings but it goes the extra step of pleasing me with the added lavender and vanilla. I added a little half & half and just a drop of vanilla extract to really bring out the lavender/vanilla and gone down the bergamot. This will definitely be something I drink regularly!

Flavors: Bergamot, Lavender, Vanilla

Before I formally begin this review, allow me to offer a warm thanks to S.G. Sanders for providing me with an opportunity to try this tea. I am planning on doing a side-by-side shootout between this and the loose leaf Harney & Sons Paris this weekend. I like both, but there are some subtle and not so subtle differences between the two.

I prepared this tea using a one step Western infusion. I steeped 1 teaspoon of loose material in 8 ounces of 208 F water for around 5 minutes. Obviously, I did not attempt any additional infusions.

Prior to infusion, I noticed that the dry leaf material produced a pleasant aroma of vanilla, bergamot, and lavender. After infusion, the lavender, bergamot, and vanilla aromas intensified. They were also joined by a subtle toasty character and a hint of cocoa. In the mouth, the notes of lavender, vanilla, and bergamot were most definitely dominant. I was able to detect fleeting impressions of toast, cream, and cocoa beneath them.

I like this blend. It is not nearly as fruity as the Paris blend from Harney & Sons and is very smooth in the mouth. There was not a tremendous amount of body, but I did not expect there to be. Flavored teas are usually a little light in terms of body, at least in my perception. Anyway, this is a nice, straight-forward blend. I would have no difficulties recommending it to fans of flavored teas.

Flavors: Bergamot, Cocoa, Cream, Lavender, Toast, Vanilla

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
S.G. Sanders

They’re two different breeds of blends; however, they’re both nice in their own way. I’m glad you enjoyed this! :)

Both my husband and I love this, and we don’t often love the same things. I prefer it unsweetened, with just milk or cream.

Flavors: Bergamot, Lavender

1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

This tea contains some of my favorite ingredients (bergamot and lavender) but it was just too strong for my tastes. It was very pungent in odor and flavor. I kept decreasing the steep time and at 2 minutes it made an alright breakfast tea. I am a huge fan of earl grey but this tea was nothing special.

Recommended for people who love a strong breakfast tea.

Brewed using 2 bags in 24 oz of boiling water with a 2 minute steep time.

Flavors: Artificial, Astringent, Bergamot, Citrus, Floral

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 24 OZ / 709 ML

I’m addicted. I’m throwing my hands up into the air in acceptance and jubilation for this tea is perfection in a cup. The lavender is blended SO perfectly with the bergamot and black tea that my mouth is on a stairway to heaven every time I drink it. I don’t add any milk or sugar or anything. It is absolutely perfect the way that it is. I enjoy drinking it with one of my freshly-made butter croissants or raspberry jelly donuts as I feel like those pastries really compliment the simple yet luxurious notes of this blend.

Flavors: Bergamot, Berries, Honey, Lavender