No. 55 Lord Bergamot

Assam Black Tea, Ceylon Black Tea, Natural Bergamot Oil
Bergamot, Brown Toast, Caramel, Cream, Leather, Malt, Orange, Roasted nuts, Earth
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Teatotaler
Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 2 g 10 oz / 293 ml

• “Home from my performances, I’m enjoying a cup of this. Although I’m not always a fan of bergamot, I am a fan of Steven Smith, at least of the teas from him that I have tried so far (plus, as I’ve...” Read full tasting note
  • “Today while running around, I got to the point where a stop for tea was required. I could feel the beginnings of that lack-of-caffeine headache. Here in the Pacific Northwest, there is a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Tea of the afternoon. I’ll have to take it easy on the caffeine after this because I had two cups of coffee while I was out at a workshop today… I’ve had this in my cupboard for a while. It happens...” Read full tasting note
  • “Steep Information: Amount: 2 tsp Water: 212° filtered ~500ml Tool: Breville One-Touch Tea Maker BTM800XL (black, strong) Steep Time: 3 minutes Served: Hot Tasting Notes: Dry Leaf Smell: strong...” Read full tasting note

From Steven Smith Teamaker

A flavor somewhat superior to traditional Earl Grey. Fragrant Ceylon Dimbulla and Uva are artfully combined with select teas from India’s Assam valley, then scented with the essence of bergamot from the realm of Reggio Calabria, Italy.

INGREDIENTS
Ceylon Dimbulla, Uva and Indian Assam full leaf teas and natural bergamot essence.

PREPARATION
For best flavor, bring freshly drawn filtered water to a boil. Steep five minutes. If possible, play a little opera softly in the background.

About Steven Smith Teamaker View company

I liked that the steeping instructions on the box literally says to play some opera in the background. I played “the Diva dance” from the fifth element because that totally counts.

I like it. dark tea without the bitterness, nor an overwhelming taste of bergamot like so many earl grey teas have. very smooth and easy to drink. love it. will definitely try with some honey next time.
I steeped it to about 200 degrees Fahrenheit and steeped for 3 minutes rather than the 5 minutes recommended on the box and it tasted perfect for me. I would definitely drink this tea again. :)

Earl Grey is my favorite tea. That’s why my family bought me this lovely tea. I had tried it long ago, and couldn’t remember the name. Thank goodness for family giving it to me again! The tea leaves are of a better quality than that of other “Sacheted” teas. The aroma of Bergamot was quite strong as well. However, the brewed tea itself was not very strong, and was actually weak. Aside from this, the tea was well rounded, not very malty, and over all a mild-tasting Earl Grey. I would get this tea again, however, it is not my favorite Earl Grey.

Talk about a blast from the past. I could recall buying a two ounce pouch of this tea back in the summer of 2016, but until last week, I was entirely unaware that not only I still had it, but that I had never even gotten around to opening it. Upon discovering this, I made the decision to prioritize drinking this one. Fortunately, the tea was still viable. I’m aware that the shelf life of loose Earl Grey is longer than many people realize, but one great thing about Steven Smith Teamaker is that their loose packs are very thick and both heat and light resistant. Since this was still sealed and stored at the very back of one of my tea cabinets away from heat and light, I noted no deterioration in the tea. I have to say that this was a very nice Earl Grey, and fortunately, I did not find it to be too heavy on the bergamot oil.

I prepared this tea in the Western style. I steeped one teaspoon of loose tea leaves in approximately 8 ounces of 212 F water for 5 minutes. I did not attempt any additional infusions.

Prior to infusion, the dry tea leaves emitted a powerful bergamot aroma underscored by subtle hints of malt and toast. After infusion, the bergamot was still front and center, but I could detect more pronounced malt and toast aromas coupled with traces of roasted nuts, orange peel, and caramel. In the mouth, the bergamot was particularly heavy on the entry, but the liquor soon acquired a semblance of balance due to the presence of roasted nut, caramel, malt, cream, leather, orange peel, and brown toast notes. The finish was rather powerful, as the bergamot once again reasserted itself and left a lingering citrusy tartness in the mouth and throat after the swallow.

Like most Earl Greys, this was not the most complex or nuanced blend in the world, but it did what it was designed to do. Blends like this are specifically designed for lovers of bergamot, and as this artfully showcased the aroma and flavor of bergamot, I cannot fault it much. For me, this would not be an everyday Earl Grey, but for those times when I want something a bit tarter and punchier, it would the sort of blend for which I would reach.

Flavors: Bergamot, Brown Toast, Caramel, Cream, Leather, Malt, Orange, Roasted nuts

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML
Daylon R Thomas

Steven Smith also just released a bergamot scented oolong-AND so did What-Cha. WTF, I want to try them…

I’m pretty sure this is my favorite Earl Grey tea. So smooth and delicious. Not bitter in the least. Balanced flavors. It’s great.

My daily cup of choice. A bright and strong start to my morning. It becomes more delicate and floral if brewed for a shorter time (closer to 2min). I enjoy it with milk.

This was pretty good— I’m an Earl Grey fan, but sometimes strong bergamot can taste soapy to me. This didn’t taste soapy at all. I added a small bit of french vanilla creamer, and no sweetener; I left it in my mug, which made it a bit bitter.

1904 tasting notes

This came my way via the previous round of the GCTTB. I haven’t had a chance to try any Steven Smith Teamaker teas though like most I’ve drank teas from his other brands, Tazo and Stash. The brewing instructions on the package made me giggle: “Steep 5 minutes while pondering the Earl’s affair with the Duchess of Devonshire.” Alright then. ;)

It’s a fairly standard earl grey though the base is most robust than most, in any event it’s quite enjoyable with milk, but I wouldn’t consider it to be anything remarkable. It’s more the sort of tea that would be a cupboard staple for anyone who wanted a good, basic earl grey.

RIP Steven Smith

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 10 OZ / 295 ML

Not really an earl grey, but certainly in the same bergamot family. I found it to be utterly delicious when prepared exactly as on the package despite it being a longer steep than I normally prefer.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

My favorite Earl Grey that I can buy in bags.

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 2 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

Another cup this morning. Really enjoy the bright citrus note from the bergamot. Put a little extra sugar in this time and, well, it was sweeter as one might expect. Just right for my mood this morning.

Boiling 6 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML