Watermelon Sorbet

Hibiscus, Lemon Balm, Lemongrass, Rhubarb, Rose Hips, Rose Petals, Spearmint
Edit tea info Last updated by Andrea Stephens
Iced 8 min or more 180 oz / 5312 ml

From T2

Chill out in style with this oh-so-yummy poolside blend of lush watermelon and fresh mint. Kick your feet up…this brew makes it happy hour, every hour.

Brew:1 tsp per 250mls, 3-5 mins at 100°C

Serve:Hot or chillled

Ingredients:Rosehip shells, spearmint, hibiscus, sweet blackberry leaves, melon pieces (melon, sugar, acid: citric acid, melon flavour), lemon balm, carrot, flavouring, lemongrass, rhubarb pieces, rose petals.

About T2 View company

2062 tasting notes

223/365

This was my second watermelon tea of the week, and the second that was slightly disappointing. Bird & Blend’s tasted to me mostly of pineapple and coconut, but this one is mostly liquorice and mint. It reminds me very strongly of Teapigs’ Liquorice & Mint blend, in fact, which I dislike intensely. There is a little watermelon here, mostly in the mid-sip, and it is sweet and watery in a way that’s refreshing and pleasantly flavour accurate. It’s totally surrounded by the heavy dankness of mint on one side, and the intense sweetness of liquorice on the other, so that the overall effect isn’t particularly one of watermelon.

I made this one as a cold brew, and I think that was probably the right way to go. I don’t think it would be any more successful brewed hot, but I’ll give that a try in time just to see. Maybe I should put this one in lemonade? Or try and make an actual sorbet with it?

I think I can see what T2 were trying to achieve. Given that the flavour is watermelon sorbet, it’s like the mint is providing the coolness and the liquorice the sweetness. I get it, and I think it’s quite clever, but I don’t think it really works. Both of those flavours are far more powerful than the watermelon, with the result that it just seems to get squeezed out.

Are there any really good watermelon teas?

Iced 8 min or more 4 tsp 25 OZ / 750 ML
Mastress Alita

I’ve had a fairly good Cucumber and Melon green tea, though it tastes less like watermelon fruit to me and more like the “melon flavor” that is popular in Asian countries like Japan (and which is entirely different than the artificial watermelon flavor found in the west, too). It’s a little closer to honeydew, though not quite? It was a good tea though, and I don’t even like to eat cucumbers or melons! I drink it iced and it comes across as refreshing cucumber water with a sort of honeydew/watermelon-hybrid flavor.

Had this as a sample in store this weekend in Auckland, and it was AMAZING as an iced tea. If it weren’t winter, I would definitely be stocking up on iced tea flavours again.