Yuchi Hong Yun Black Tea, Lot 276

Baked Bread, Raisins, Yeast
Edit tea info Last updated by Cavocorax

• “Sipdown (129)! Thank you VariaTEA for the sample! You’ve kinda been my Tea-Godfairy with all these unflavoured black samples. I’ve enjoyed trying them; and learning from them. This one was in my...” Read full tasting note
  • “Long, freely twisted leaf exhaling intense sweet, honey-like aroma. The almost same aroma also pretty intense is found in a cup. The tea is very smooth, light bodied and free of adstringence. You...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown (136) My head is full of stupid puns, and so when I see this pun I always think Hong Yum and I know I said this before, but there it is again. You can’t change my brain, I guess. This was...” Read full tasting note
  • “I am not entirely sure if this is the Hong Yun Cavocorax shared with me but it is the only one from Taiwan Tea Crafts that she has in her cupboard so I am going to assume it is the right one....” Read full tasting note

From Taiwan Tea Crafts

This is a far superior Lot compared to our previous L-138. Indulge!

In more concrete terms, Hong Yun is the result of a hybridization project that involved crossing the Indigenous Shancha Wild Tea strain with the one responsible for the famous Qimen Black Tea (or Keemun) originating from the Huang Shan mountains of Anhui Province in China. The result is surprisingly balanced and perceivable in the combination of aromas and tastes. First of all, in both cases these are sophisticated teas that are charmingly smooth, refreshing and easy to drink. Hong Yun is obviously in the same vein. The tangy cherry fruitiness of the Qimen blends in beautifully with the honey sweetness and thickness of the Shancha. The result is like a harmonious duet of crystaline voices. Its exotic and alluring, yet recognizable and comforting and so easy to drink. While this tea may not have the body to support milk or accompany your Christmas pudding, it is certainly would be a good choice for accompanying a good read next to a fired-up hearth.

About Taiwan Tea Crafts View company

Sipdown (129)!

Thank you VariaTEA for the sample! You’ve kinda been my Tea-Godfairy with all these unflavoured black samples. I’ve enjoyed trying them; and learning from them. This one was in my timolino with milk.

I can’t say I was huge into this particular one; I probably shouldn’t have added the milk to it. I don’t think it was strong enough to support it. Steeped up with the milk this smelled pretty yeast-y. Regardless, I mostly only got bread and raisin notes from this. I don’t really care for raisins. In anything; tea included and rarely an exception.

I shared some with Bobbi, who disapproved of it (she just made a face and stuck out her tongue) and with Tre who said it just tasted bready and bland. I have to agree with both their sentiments, and that doesn’t happen so often. Oh well; lesson learned I guess?

You can’t love ’em all, anyway.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Raisins, Yeast

Long, freely twisted leaf exhaling intense sweet, honey-like aroma. The almost same aroma also pretty intense is found in a cup. The tea is very smooth, light bodied and free of adstringence. You can be very liberal when steeping this tea it’s almost impossible to be oversteeped. It is an ideal evening tea because its caffeine content is probably rather low.

195 °F / 90 °C 5 min, 0 sec 2 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Sipdown (136)

This was good though. Very juicy and dark and strong. Not as good as Wild Mountain teas, but good.

I am not entirely sure if this is the Hong Yun Cavocorax shared with me but it is the only one from Taiwan Tea Crafts that she has in her cupboard so I am going to assume it is the right one. Anyways, thank you Cavocorax for sharing. I have only tried one other Taiwan Tea Craft tea (Sun Moon Lake Assam) and I really enjoyed it so I am excited to have others to sample. This, like the last TTC tea I had, is a pretty solid cup. It has an amazing smoothness that suits the sweetness of the tea.

I feel bad because cavocorax sent this to me and i’m reviewing this before her and i literally have NOTHING to say about this because i had a no good very bad day and all i can recall was that it was like other TTC teas and i enjoyed it, though it didn’t knock my socks off. Which means it’s likely about an 83 ish but i’m not sure i could pick it out of a line up of TTC teas lol.

Cavocorax

Sorry your day was so rough! And, I’m sure I’ll give it the review it deserves at some point!