Red Jade T-18 White Tea, Lot 700

White Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Togo

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Upon opening the pouch, I am greeted by an invigorating and pungent herbal aromas, reminiscent of massage lotions. There are notes of allspice, peppermint, black currant leaves and ammonia. Unlike...” Read full tasting note

From Taiwan Tea Crafts

We thought this Lot 700 was all sold before we could even release it. A small batch resurfaced this September and we quickly grabbed it to make it available, finally! Lot 700 is much finer and better finished tea than our previous Lot 643. This is undoubtedly a one of kind tea. First, it is a white tea made from a Taiwanese cultivar, the Hong Yu T-18 from which the renowned Red Jade black tea is made from. It is also quite an unusual tea: not many white teas are produced in Taiwan, if any, even less using this particular cultivar. We will take full responsibility for treading new territory in tea making as this a true house tea: it was made in our family’s own factory using leaves from our own Red Jade garden. Furthermore, if there was ever one tea that we could label “handmade” this would be it! These leaves have not encountered any form of machinery in the making of it. Similar to a Chinese Shou Mei white tea, young leaves were hand-picked, gently laid to wither, hand-fluffed to stimulate a light oxydation and desiccated to lock-in their lush fragrance. if you are familiar with Red Jade Black Tea you will be surprised by the striking aromatics of this tea. The fresh eucalyptus, cinnamon and camphor-like coolness is truly heady. The liqueur is sweet, thick with a nice dry tannic quench. A truly pleasant surprise that we are proud to humbly propose to our Taiwan Tea Crafts clientele. Get some while it last as this is a very limited quantity Lot.

About Taiwan Tea Crafts View company

1 Tasting Note

Upon opening the pouch, I am greeted by an invigorating and pungent herbal aromas, reminiscent of massage lotions. There are notes of allspice, peppermint, black currant leaves and ammonia. Unlike with some other teas, the smell is a very good indicator of how the tea tastes like too. The taste is savoury, tangy and bitter overall. I noticed flavours of cinnamon, peppery spiciness, grass, quinine and lime leaves. Later on, there are fruits like guava and passion fruit emerging. The aftertaste is generally very long and cooling with a sour and tangy character. Towards the end it gets quite drying. Mouthfeel is thick and lubricating, and contributes a lot to my enjoyment of the tea.

I would say this is a full-budied, powerful yet nuanced white tea. I like it a lot. All in all, I managed to get 11 nice infusions, the last 3 of which were somewhat astringent though.

Flavors: Bitter, Bitter Melon, Black Currant, Cinnamon, Grass, Guava, Herbs, Lime, Medicinal, Passion Fruits, Pepper, Peppermint, Sour, Spicy, Tangy, Umami

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Kawaii433

Guava… Yum.

Kittenna

I don’t think I picked up any whites from TTC way back when I ordered from them. This (or future versions of it) seem like a good candidate for a future order!

Togo

I just opened this one Kittenna, so even though we will probably drink some of it at the tea tasting this Saturday, there should be some left that I can give you if you want to try it out :)