2008 Songboling Aged Oolong Tea, Lot 580

Oolong
Caramel, Char, Earth, Smoke, Sweet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by Ken

• “A heavily roasted tea that had sat around for a long while to become palatable and not “too heavy” with that charcoal flavor, I assume. I’m sure at one point, I’d turn away from a tea that is this...” Read full tasting note
  • “Smokey plum, brulee without the sweetness and a hint of corn nut at the end. Alas not much to say, Butiki’s aged 4 seasons ruined me. It was so good, haven’t found that flavor since. This has a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Apparently I drank this. I didn’t take notes. This will serve as my note to drink it again and actually pay attention.” Read full tasting note
  • “I recently received this from Taiwan tea crafts and decided to brew it up today for my first tasting. Its a very dark aged smoked oolong tea from Taiwan. After giving it a very quick rinse, I...” Read full tasting note

From Taiwan Tea Crats

Our family has a long history of baking, pit-firing and torrefying tea that spans 3 generations now. And, as you might expect, in 3 generations we did leave a few teas out to stand the test of time. This practice has increased since the late 00’s, since the third generation started to have children of their own – aged tea does make a nice inheritance! This particular Lot 580 is one of the many that were finished and stored for the purpose of ageing around that time. It is a blend of organically grown teas that was assembled at the very start of the process, deep-baked and laid to rest as a homogenous lot. The whole process was done with great care and it shows in the cup. For those of you who are looking for a replacement to our Lot 135 of 2005, you will find yourself in the familiar territory of the deep torrefaction attack to which curried notes of dried exotic fruits and roasted nuts mingle in jammy sweetness and makes it an appealing tea to enjoy right away. But, the subtle more complex tangy overtones of dried tobacco do hint that it’s still a young puppy in terms of its ageing maturity. It’s nice velvety texture will not deceive both in amplitude and lingering pleasure. Just a like a good bottle of wine which is never bad if uncorked early, this is certainly a thé de garde that will continue to improve and mellow with time, making it a perfect choice for home tea ageing projects. We’ve released a small quantity of this Lot now and making it accessible at a very affordable price now, for the benefit of all of budding aged tea enthusiasts. As for the next release; you can talk to our sons about getting some more when it will become their decision!

About Taiwan Tea Crats View company

A heavily roasted tea that had sat around for a long while to become palatable and not “too heavy” with that charcoal flavor, I assume. I’m sure at one point, I’d turn away from a tea that is this dark, but it’s not too shabby now. A bit drying in the mouth, but not bad with the flavor. I suppose the closest thing I could describe this as is the burnt fat you find in an overcooked burger with a touch of the sweetness found in a honey oat burger bun.

Smokey plum, brulee without the sweetness and a hint of corn nut at the end. Alas not much to say, Butiki’s aged 4 seasons ruined me. It was so good, haven’t found that flavor since. This has a nice enough structure, full bodied, lasts a good 8-10 steeps, but is ultimately unidimensional in flavor. So still searching, will try more of TTCs aged tea selection, has to be a winner in there somewhere.
195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 45 sec 8 g 7 OZ / 200 ML

8 g

I recently received this from Taiwan tea crafts and decided to brew it up today for my first tasting. Its a very dark aged smoked oolong tea from Taiwan. After giving it a very quick rinse, I tasted the wash, and it had light smokey qualities before dumping the rest. There was very little dust so I decided one wash was sufficient.

First infusion was about 35 seconds to give the leaves a little time to open up. I got a medium dark liquor actually a little darker than what was shown in their picture, and the most wonderful smokey, caramel aroma. I did brew it in a yixing so that might have darkened it slightly. It was also sweet and earthy, and it had the most wonderful mouth watering aftertaste, that you only really get on good oolongs.

Second infusion was slightly darker and the flavors and aroma’s richer and more pronounced. A bit of nuttiness creeped in at this point as well, the flavor is rich and smooth and very nice.

The third infusion got darker still but the flavors and aroma’s slightly got weaker, it was still very drinkable and pleasant, and I think this tea has quite a few more infusions left to give. I do love that about oolong’s its staying power. The lovely aftertaste is still there as well.

This is a very reasonably priced tea for an aged tea, and is just utterly delicious, I highly recommend this tea!

Flavors: Caramel, Char, Earth, Smoke, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 45 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
apefuzz

Good to hear. I got their 1993 aged family reserve, and it tasted like charcoal briquettes. It is currently airing out to see if the flavor can improve.

This one sounds like a winner though!

Ken

I actually have that one, I havent opened it, maybe Ill taste it today and see how it is.

Ken

Though this one was still pretty smoky.