Persian Rose

Flowers, Rose, Violet, Astringent, Sweet, Bergamot, Cardamon
Edit tea info Last updated by Lindsay
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 2 g 7 oz / 207 ml

3 Images

• “I feel like I made out like a bandit in my most recent swap with Alphakitty because I got sooo many samples of teas I wanted to try! I’m drowing in tea samples, and I’m very excited to try all of...” Read full tasting note
  • “When I was in college, years ago, there was this used bookstore about a mile or two from campus. Even in the dead of winter, I would bundle up and walk down. I’d have dinner at a restaurant nearby,...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks to Amoda for sending me a sample of this to try! This came in a little plastic, resealable bag – so happy the resealable sample bags are back! The aroma of the dry tea is super floral – lots...” Read full tasting note

From Tay Tea

This is Nini’s signature tea, her first blend and her personal favorite. An absolute must for anyone in love with black tea…and roses. A nostalgic blend of ceylon bergamot scented tea blended with rose petals, organic rose buds, green cardamom and borage. This “little black dress” classic transitions effortlessly from morning to afternoon.

About Tay Tea View company

I feel like I made out like a bandit in my most recent swap with Alphakitty because I got sooo many samples of teas I wanted to try! I’m drowing in tea samples, and I’m very excited to try all of them.

I plucked this one out of the pile first because bergamot + rose = love, for me, and this blend also has cardamom and borage, which I didn’t know what it was at first but is apparently a mediterranean herb. I realized that I think I have seen this tea company at the NY Coffee and Tea Festival before, but I’ve never noticed this tea there I guess.

Steeped, it smells like a delightfully rosy Earl Grey. Unfortunately the taste is a little lackluster. As in, it doesn’t taste like much! The flavor isn’t very strong, and overall the tea really dries out your mouth and doesn’t really have even much of an aftertaste. I also get the impression that steeping it longer would just end in bitterness.

Oh well, thanks for the sample, Alphakitty! It’s good to know ahead of time since this company doesn’t sell small amounts of their teas. I will go back to savoring my Bergamot Rose Laoshan Black. :)

Alphakitty

I think this one suffers from age—I have been hoarding it for over a year, and the flavor has definitely toned down a lot.

Nik

I love drowning in samples!

When I was in college, years ago, there was this used bookstore about a mile or two from campus. Even in the dead of winter, I would bundle up and walk down. I’d have dinner at a restaurant nearby, then go to the used bookstore, where they had this tea brewing and offered small free tasting cups to customers.

I have had tea with flowers, I have made tea out of flowers, myself, but this tea manages an aroma that surpasses all of them. No tea I’ve ever had has been as fragrant as this one. I purchased this tea many years ago and just opened the tin and it’s still very fragrant after all these years.

The taste of it was never what was prominent to me. When drinking flower teas, it’s about the scent and about what you feel when you breathe after taking a sip. Just as mint tea has that coolness that comes when breathing after a sip of it, flowers have this perfume that comes when you breathe take a breath after a sip of tea. It’s the kind of thing that pushes you to breathe more deeply, and thus, to relax.

Now, not only did this tea have that, but the type of fragrance, the potency and quality of it felt so precious that to drink it made a poor college student like me feel like royalty.

It’s been a while since I brewed it, but when I do (which undoubtedly will be very soon), I will add more detailed notes on the qualities of it. For now, just know that this tea is nothing short of an event, and I’d highly recommend it.

Flavors: Flowers, Rose, Violet

teepland

What a wonderful memory for you and a great way to spend your tea time. I love this review— so personal!

loudao

Thank you, teepland. I feel like it’s important to keep the human element in things. It’s too easy to lose that when sharing things through digital communication. But, ultimately, it’s the substance of our interactions and is important to preserve. Some teas have more of a story behind them than others, but regardless, I try to keep that element in things. This way, it’s fully-dimensional. There’s a person behind it. It’s not simply words on a web page. It’s another human being.

The aroma of the dry tea is super floral – lots of rose (obviously, there are tons of rose petals in the tea as well), and bergamot. I don’t really detect any cardamom? But I also didn’t happen to get any cardamom pods in this sample, so it might not be representative.

Brewing instructions were 1 tsp/8oz cup, boiling, 3-5min. I measured a level tea spoon (using one of those spoons that’s for tea, and actually holds 1.5tsp) and it came to, like 1.6g and looked like a lot of rose petals. The petals tend to shift to the top of the sample, you know? So I ended up dumping the rest of the sample into a dish so I could fish out some actual tea and bring it up to 2g. :) This went into my 10oz mug and steeped for 4min.

It’s a very nice tea! A lot more floral and less spicy than the Person Palace tea Amoda sells, which I tried previously and really liked. I have a plain rose-flavoured black tea in my cupboard and this is a lot more complex and interesting than that. I think it’s the bergamot and maybe the borage that just rounds it out? If you like rose-flavoured teas, I definitely recommend this one.

I decided to take the leaves for an ill-advised second steeping (9 min! let’s just squeeze every drop of flavour out of these suckers, lol). This time I broke open a couple of green cardamom pods and tossed them into the basket as well. This is actually… surprisingly drinkable, given that I have no business attempting to make 2g of tea blend stretch to making a total of 20oz of tea, that’s ridicious. I’ll definitely be adding a cardamom pod or two, the next time I brew this properly, since the rose/cardamom combination really is the whole point of this tea.

I don’t know if I’d be able to choose between this one and the Persian Palace by Sloane. They’re both good, and suprisingly different from each other. Happily, it looks like I’ll be able to buy 25g of each, once I finally take myself off tea-buying hiatus. :)

Flavors: Bergamot, Cardamon, Rose