Chocolate Ginger Bourbon

Black Green Yerba maté Blend
Black Tea, Cinnamon, Citric Acid, Cocoa, Cocoa Beans, Dark Chocolate, Flavors, Ginger, Hojicha, Roasted Yerba Mate, Sea Salt
Astringent, Candy, Ginger, Sweet
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita
Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 14 oz / 407 ml

3 Images

• “Trick or Treat! I got this tea from Par Avion Tea, but they wholesale and repackage blends from Tea Guys. Unlike some of my other Par Avion Teas, the name of this blend hasn’t since changed by Tea...” Read full tasting note
  • “Very surprised by this one. The dry leaf was nice but just okay, but once brewed – yum! This tastes just like German chocolate cake … if it were a tea. The blend is spot on and is incredibly smooth...” Read full tasting note

From Tea Guys

A black tea blend inspired by our family’s favorite cake covered in rich chocolate bourbon fudge sauce. This rich, smooth, and full-bodied black tea blend is combined with dark chocolate, sweet hand-ground cinnamon and spicy, fragrant ginger.

Ingredients: black tea, roasted cocoa beans, ginger, cinnamon, roasted green tea, roasted yerba mate, crystallized ginger, flavors, dark chocolate chips, dark cocoa powder

Ingredients (updated): black tea, roasted cocoa beans, ginger, cinnamon, roasted green tea, roasted yerba mate, crystallized ginger, flavors, dark chocolate chips, dark cocoa powder, sea salt, citric acid

Steeping Suggestions:

1-2 tbsp(s) tea 16 oz boiling (212°) water steep for 4-5 minutes

Chocolate Ginger Bourbon Black Tea Latte Recipe (1 serving)

2 tbsp(s) Chocolate Ginger Bourbon black tea 1 cup water (8 oz) ½ cup steamed milk (4 oz) Cream 1-2 tsp (or spoonful) sweetened condensed milk or sugar Dark cocoa powder for topping ½-1 oz of Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey (optional)

Directions: Steep Chocolate Ginger Bourbon black tea in boiling water for 5 minutes. Microwave milk in a separate microwave-safe glass container for 80-90 seconds or until foam begins to form on the surface. Whip milk with a whisk to create foam. Mix Chocolate Ginger Bourbon black tea with sweetened condensed milk or sugar. Add steamed milk with a splash of cream (and bourbon if adding) to Chocolate Ginger Bourbon black tea. Dust top of foamed milk with dark cocoa powder.

About Tea Guys View company

Trick or Treat! I got this tea from Par Avion Tea, but they wholesale and repackage blends from Tea Guys. Unlike some of my other Par Avion Teas, the name of this blend hasn’t since changed by Tea Guys, nor has the ingredients been updated, other than the inclusion of the preservatives sea salt and citric acid in the listing on Tea Guys website, which isn’t on my Par Avion Tea tin (though to be fair, I bet it is in there and just not listed… * cough cough * )

In any event, this tea just smells of candied ginger. And steeped… it just tastes of candied ginger, too. Where in the world is the chocolate? It lists roasted cocoa beans, dark chocolate chips, and dark cocoa powder in the ingredients, and there isn’t so much as a hint of chocolate anywhere in the flavor. None! Just a really, really sweet gingery taste (not spicy at all), like those sugary ginger candies. The flavor actually reminds me exactly of their Ginger Darjeeling Peach tea, minus the peach flavor. It’s rather bland, without any of the other flavor notes that should be in the tea coming through.

So I actually pulled out some of my leftover cocoa shells from the Simpson & Vail sampler to see if I could… I don’t know… force some chocolate flavor into this to try to make it taste how it should? That certainly helped a bit, but I still wasn’t getting strong chocolately notes, and I added half a gram of cocoa shells, so it seems to me the candied ginger is just so strong it simply overwhelms whatever they were trying to go for with a chocolately-ginger tea.

Yaaaa… I think I’ll use this one up the same way I used up the Ginger Darjeeling Peach, by cold-steeping it in lemonade, which left the lemonade with the candied ginger flavor and at least gave me some tasty lemonade, if nothing else.

Flavors: Astringent, Candy, Ginger, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 14 OZ / 400 ML

Very surprised by this one. The dry leaf was nice but just okay, but once brewed – yum! This tastes just like German chocolate cake … if it were a tea. The blend is spot on and is incredibly smooth from start to finish. I drank this one straight and can’t wait to try the latte recipe!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 tsp 14 OZ / 414 ML