HongTaiChang Sheng 0802 2006

Pu-erh Tea
Dried Fruit, Pepper, Plums, Sweet, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Lion

• “I’ve had this tea for a couple of years and have reviewed it before but not here, so since I just re-reviewed it I’ll add some notes (it’s still being sold, but of course the price goes up as years...” Read full tasting note
  • “I added the entry for this on Steepster, and pictured here is their Sheng 0801, but it is listed together with 0802 for sale on the website using the same image, so I imagine the teas have a...” Read full tasting note

From Tea Side

HongTaiChang 0801 Sheng (Raw) Pu-erh 2006

Aged Sheng Pu-erh tea goes under the number 0801 or 0802 of HongTaiChang brand, 2006.

Growing Region: Province of Chiang Mai, north of Thailand, 1500 meters. The tea is made from old and wild 200-300 years old trees. This Sheng resembles a sheng of purple bushes in looks – the tea is very dark for its age. This is my absolute favorite among Thai Shengs.

Pressing: Industrial press

Dry flavor: Raisins, tree bark and spices. Neat leaves are carefully ripened. The infusion looks like dark amber, it’s absolutely clear.

Taste: Full-bodied, very smooth (balanced) and intelligent. Nice raisin profile laced with spicy woody tones. Notes of plum are also present.
Velvety and spicy aftertaste remains long after the drinking.

Effect: This Sheng is very strong tea, one of the most powerful of all pu-erhs in our collection.

About Tea Side View company

I’ve had this tea for a couple of years and have reviewed it before but not here, so since I just re-reviewed it I’ll add some notes (it’s still being sold, but of course the price goes up as years go by). I think it might be picking up some more fruit and overall complexity since I’ve first tried it. I live in Bangkok so it’s being stored in a relatively warm and humid environment; I suppose that should be a good thing.

This tea starts out with aspects close to dark wood and spice, and moves into really pronounced dried fruit, with lots of prune on the second infusion, shifting into more balanced and broader range dried fruits on the next round. After that earthiness picks up for balance, maybe a touch of tobacco. The body is fine, not as structured as it might be, but with some depth to the feel, and decent aftertaste. It brews a large number of positive infusions, transitioning less after those first few rounds, settling into a balanced version of the same aspects. More details and pictures follow, along with comparison with another 2006 Thai HTC version:

I added the entry for this on Steepster, and pictured here is their Sheng 0801, but it is listed together with 0802 for sale on the website using the same image, so I imagine the teas have a similar wrapper.

This tea has a rather mild aroma to it. The leaves after the rinse smell like dry fruit and manure. The infusion is a honey gold, and the taste is mild and woody with a hint of smoke and white pepper in the finish.

The second infusion is rather sweet, with a golden raisin and honey flavor, and still wood, smoke, and a bit of pepper in the finish. The sip starts mild and sweet, then transitions into the more sharp flavors in the finish. Fortunately it isn’t bitter. It’s just a bit sour. The flavor that lingers on is pepper and wood but moving the tongue around reveals hints of sweetness lingering as well.

The third infusion is even sweeter and more rich, an interesting blend of dried fruit, plum, and again strong wood and pepper notes. It’s a balancing act, as you taste all of these flavors at the same time now, creating a unique contrast. The tea feels warming and invigorating to the body as I drink it. It’s noticeably potent.

The fourth infusion is less sweet and more toward the woody flavors. And on the fifth infusion, we’re back to more sweet, so this tea I think teeter-totters a lot based on how you brew it. It’s really interesting.

Flavors: Dried Fruit, Pepper, Plums, Sweet, Wood