Big Raccoon - Korean Green Tea Daejak

Green Tea
Green Tea
Floral, Honey, Nutty, Sweet, warm grass, Fruit Tree Flowers, Grass, Honeysuckle, Straw
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

• “I meant to sit down with this green and purposefully drink it, for the tea notes, but it ended up becoming my sloppy go-to green tea for the week evenings instead. What that means on a scale of...” Read full tasting note
  • “So, it turns out all I had to do to find a home in Montreal was complain on the internet about it – not even 24 hours after writing up my tasting note ranting about how hard of a time I was having...” Read full tasting note
  • “My first time drinking a Daejak, or Korean green tea with a specific preparation style. I’m so excited! Out of the bag the tea smells strongly of grass, honey and straw. Steeped up it’s more of a...” Read full tasting note

From teabento

Korean green tea isn’t something you see every day. It is very rare and special, a bit like a fusion of Chinese and Japanese green tea. Our Big Raccoon is an amazing handmade green tea for everyday drinking. It comes from a small family run tea farm in the beautiful Jirisan mountains in Hadong province. Grown in a bamboo forest, the exceptional environment is what makes this tea unique.

>> to find this tea at: https://teabento.com/en/product/big-raccoon/

About teabento View company

I meant to sit down with this green and purposefully drink it, for the tea notes, but it ended up becoming my sloppy go-to green tea for the week evenings instead. What that means on a scale of 1-10 is I drank it with zero (0) mindfulness and ten (10) chugging speed.

What can I say now that it’s gone so soon from the earthly realm of CrowKettle Tea Shelves? It was sweet. It was refreshing. It was deliciously flavourful. Now it’s gone.

Steep Count: 2

Flavors: Floral, Honey, Nutty, Sweet, warm grass

Evol Ving Ness

Honest and succinct words for ephemera. No fluff needed. A haiku might work though.

So, it turns out all I had to do to find a home in Montreal was complain on the internet about it – not even 24 hours after writing up my tasting note ranting about how hard of a time I was having apartment hunting I had managed to find and secure a place to live!

So, now I just have to start packing everything up and shipping it out to Montreal; I have a friend/coworker who has offered to hold onto stuff for me until my move in a month so I’m just going to slowly start sending stuff her way up until “Moving Day”. Now I get to deal with a whole new kind of anxiety; transporting my tea collection across the country through the mail. At least I found somewhere totally furnished, so I don’t have to worry about moving furniture…

(Can’t afford to have it professionally moved; mailing is the next best option since I don’t drive, and therefore can’t transport it myself that way)

Anyway; I drank this one a few days ago – and I swear something about my sense of smell and palate were broken that day because the dry leaf of this tea just smelled strongly and distinctly of mint chocolate chip ice cream. How weird and abstract is that!? At least, steeped up, it wasn’t as weird and wacky. I mean, I still swear that the tea had mint notes to it – but otherwise it was mostly very nutty with strong alfalfa hay notes and a bit of a “bluntness”/dull quality to the body. Just not a lot of bright or sweet characteristics.

Still decently enjoyable, though.

Song Pairing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgEaJw1wEB0&list=WL&index=2

VariaTEA

Moving the teas was not scary. It was the teaware that had me super unsettled.

Roswell Strange

Did you have any breakages?

VariaTEA

Thankfully not but I wrapped everything in bubble wrap. Probably excessively. I also put on a bunch of fragile stickers and kept the mugs tightly packed in smaller boxes.

Out of the bag the tea smells strongly of grass, honey and straw. Steeped up it’s more of a strong honey note with elements of greenery, kind of like some of the wildflower honeys we get in Canada.

The flavor profile is a buttery, sweet honey-ish green, a bit thin. I feel like this would be an excellent blending tea, something to pair with another sweet or creamy element. Honeysuckle, that’s the flavor I’m getting, plus some roasty-toastedness.

It’s a multifaceted tea, one that I’m enjoying. Normally i don’t got out of my way to drink greens, I find I sneeze a lot when I do (and this one was no exception). Still, the sweetness is lovely, a lush green tropical sweet paradise.

I have a feeling there’s a fruit associated somewhere in the tropics with this flavor, one I’ve yet to try.

Huge thanks to TeaBento for sharing this tea with me so I could review it, and for giving me my first taste of Korean tea.

Flavors: Fruit Tree Flowers, Grass, Honey, Honeysuckle, Straw