Big Raccoon - Korean Green Tea Daejak

Green Tea
Green Tea
Floral, Honey, Nutty, Sweet, warm grass, Fruit Tree Flowers, Grass, Honeysuckle, Straw
Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

• “I meant to sit down with this green and purposefully drink it, for the tea notes, but it ended up becoming my sloppy go-to green tea for the week evenings instead. What that means on a scale of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Midday cuppa. So, I’ve tried a green Korean Sejak before but admittedly I’m not educated about most green tea at all – and especially Korean tea so I have absolutely no clue what the difference...” Read full tasting note
  • “My first time drinking a Daejak, or Korean green tea with a specific preparation style. I’m so excited! Out of the bag the tea smells strongly of grass, honey and straw. Steeped up it’s more of a...” Read full tasting note

From teabento

Korean green tea isn’t something you see every day. It is very rare and special, a bit like a fusion of Chinese and Japanese green tea. Our Big Raccoon is an amazing handmade green tea for everyday drinking. It comes from a small family run tea farm in the beautiful Jirisan mountains in Hadong province. Grown in a bamboo forest, the exceptional environment is what makes this tea unique.

>> to find this tea at: https://teabento.com/en/product/big-raccoon/

About teabento View company

I meant to sit down with this green and purposefully drink it, for the tea notes, but it ended up becoming my sloppy go-to green tea for the week evenings instead. What that means on a scale of 1-10 is I drank it with zero (0) mindfulness and ten (10) chugging speed.

What can I say now that it’s gone so soon from the earthly realm of CrowKettle Tea Shelves? It was sweet. It was refreshing. It was deliciously flavourful. Now it’s gone.

Steep Count: 2

Flavors: Floral, Honey, Nutty, Sweet, warm grass

Evol Ving Ness

Honest and succinct words for ephemera. No fluff needed. A haiku might work though.

Midday cuppa.

So, I’ve tried a green Korean Sejak before but admittedly I’m not educated about most green tea at all – and especially Korean tea so I have absolutely no clue what the difference between the two actually is.

I’m enjoying sipping on this one right now though; it’s pretty smooth with a really nice toasty/nutty character to it in the top and body notes. There are also some more generic grassy green undertones, and notes of straw in the body that tie in pretty well with the nuttiness I’m getting in the top. Reminds me a little of roasted peanuts, in a way? Unsalted, of course. The finish is a little sweeter; more of like an ambrosia/nectar like fruitiness? It’s a little bit harder to place exactly what kind of fruit I’m reminded of though the one jumping to mind is Pluots – plum/apricot crosses. It’s been a LONG time since I had a pluot though, so don’t know how accurate that actually is.

Totally couldn’t drink this one often – but I’m happy with the sample!

Out of the bag the tea smells strongly of grass, honey and straw. Steeped up it’s more of a strong honey note with elements of greenery, kind of like some of the wildflower honeys we get in Canada.

The flavor profile is a buttery, sweet honey-ish green, a bit thin. I feel like this would be an excellent blending tea, something to pair with another sweet or creamy element. Honeysuckle, that’s the flavor I’m getting, plus some roasty-toastedness.

It’s a multifaceted tea, one that I’m enjoying. Normally i don’t got out of my way to drink greens, I find I sneeze a lot when I do (and this one was no exception). Still, the sweetness is lovely, a lush green tropical sweet paradise.

I have a feeling there’s a fruit associated somewhere in the tropics with this flavor, one I’ve yet to try.

Huge thanks to TeaBento for sharing this tea with me so I could review it, and for giving me my first taste of Korean tea.

Flavors: Fruit Tree Flowers, Grass, Honey, Honeysuckle, Straw