Prince Pengu - Yunnan Dian Hong Ancient Wild Black

Cinnamon, Peach, Honey, Leather, Rose, Wood, Chocolate, Malt
Edit tea info Last updated by Evol Ving Ness

• “Not sure what’s wrong with me. Either my taste buds are on strike or I’ve forgotten everything I knew about tea. This was another sample that I received with my teabento order. This is two in a...” Read full tasting note
  • “To me this tastes like Big Red gum. If you have ever had it, then you know it’s a spicy cinnamon. That was my first steep of about a minute. My second steep was about 30 seconds and I still got...” Read full tasting note
  • “It’s early and it’s still dark. I have a batch of dvds to return to the library before the fines begin in an hour or so. And so, I pulled the Prince out of the box to propel me into...” Read full tasting note
  • “Ooh, the Prince has arrived! The smell wafting up from this tea is a rich, malty chocolate. It surprised me, but even more so the lovely long leaves. I have a special fondness for teas where the...” Read full tasting note

From teabento

Prince Pengu is one of our favorite teas! Coming from ancient tea trees grown wild in the mountainous areas of Fengqing at an altitude of 2.000 meters and masterfully hand-processed in a traditional way, this special Dian Hong has a powerful but well balanced aroma, which is fruity, floral, with a touch of chocolate and malt. The liquor offers a mellow, rich and complex taste with stone fruit, honey and rose flavours, as well as some woody, leather undertones, which add a nice savoury layer to the sweetness.

>> To find this tea at: https://teabento.com/en/product/prince-pengu/

About teabento View company

This was another sample that I received with my teabento order. This is two in a row that wasn’t at all what I was expecting.
Plum and brassy – that’s how I feel. Pale liquor with a thin mouthfeel. This is way more like an Indian than a Chinese black. I don’t really like this one either….

i didn’t love this one, but it wasn’t bad. I DID like the spiny one, but it’s not very typical keemun like.

Dexter

LOL so at least I’m not crazy :)

well…i didn’t say THAT kidding

To me this tastes like Big Red gum. If you have ever had it, then you know it’s a spicy cinnamon. That was my first steep of about a minute. My second steep was about 30 seconds and I still got some cinnamon but it was more mild with a bit of a peach like flavour at the end. It was really tasty and I’m really glad I got it.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Peach

185 °F / 85 °C 8 OZ / 236 ML
Fjellrev

Interesting! Would not have expected that.

Helena

Honestly neither was I. I picked up a few teas from Tea Bento so there will be more notes coming…

It’s early and it’s still dark. I have a batch of dvds to return to the library before the fines begin in an hour or so. And so, I pulled the Prince out of the box to propel me into action.

To me, the scent of the steeped tea is citrus.
The first sip or two is rose, leather, and wood. I remember this taste from China.
Further sips produce a thicker mouthfeel and round out the flavours with a buttery earth honey sweetness.

To be continued after my sprint to and from the library.

Ok, I am back and it is sweltering out there. Humid, oy!

On my second steep now. The taste has become lighter but sweeter in both honey and rose. A bit drying in the mouth in the after sip. Not as rich and intoxicating as round one with the leaf. The rose and honey continue to be intense. I must mention here that I steeped the tea using cooler water. Hence, the rose is intensified and the chocolate note is missing altogether.

This second steep may be a bit too sweet and a bit too rose and a bit too drying for me. The first steep seemed somehow richer and more grounded with the flavours more complex and somehow kaleidoscopic. That is to say that the first steep was very wow. If I were to have this tea on hand, I would stay with that first steep every once in a while for a wow tea experience.

The third and fourth steeps were milder, of course, and more enjoyable. I steeped with boiling, hoping for chocolate or cocoa, but nope.

I have a bit left for a second run with this tea which I will likely begin steeping at a higher temperature to see whether I will be able to coax any chocolate notes and to see how that changes things.

Thank you, teabento, for sending me this sample box to try. I am very much enjoying exploring your variety of teas.

Flavors: Honey, Leather, Rose, Wood

Ooh, the Prince has arrived!

The smell wafting up from this tea is a rich, malty chocolate. It surprised me, but even more so the lovely long leaves. I have a special fondness for teas where the leaves are all long and twisted, unbroken, beauty in a cup.

The flavor wasn’t as punchy as the smell, and I was a bit surprised that I didn’t coax out a stronger flavor from it. It was smooth like a French rose, light, and malty with a hint of coffee chocolate notes. The smell is way stronger than the flavor. I look forward to a few re-steeps to see what I can coax out further.

I prefer my black teas a bit thicker and bolder, I’ll admit. This felt a bit thin. Yet, it’s obviously an extremely high quality tea, and I’m thrilled to have gotten the chance to taste it.

I love it when tea packaging includes very specific instructions, including re-steep suggestions and the number of grams per pot or cup. TeaBento does an excellent job with their packaging, labeling and instructions.

A huge thank you to TeaBento for sharing this tea with me so that I could review it. Soon, I’ll have it over on my instagram account, too. http://instagram.com/teatravelninja

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt

195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 16 OZ / 473 ML

Sipping on this one now, while browsing Netflix…

I need a new show to watch; something with more than a season or two but that isn’t a massive ten season commitment either. Something I can tackle in less than a month. Any suggestions?

As for the tea; it’s pretty enjoyable! I let my cup get cold in between all of the flipping between different TV show ideas, but it’s still perfectly fine that way – maybe even a little smoother/easier to slurp down? It’s very fruity, with honeyed peach notes standing out the most to me and lesser red fruit undertones, with a nice backbone of malt and cocoa. I’m pretty down for lightly chocolate and honey drizzled peach slice tea!

Delicious, but so much for my cup of tea with some TV. By the time I land on something to watch this is gonna be all sipped down…

Arby

I’m not sure what is on Netflix, but I have to recommend Star Trek: The Next Generation (7 seasons), Bob’s Burgers, and the IT Crowd (short but very funny).

Roswell Strange

ST:NG is something I definitely want to watch eventually, but I think it’s a bit too much of a commitment for me right now than I’d like to make. I’ve watched all of The IT Crowd though (and it’s great) and the bulk of Bob’s Burgers – though admittedly LARGELY out of order.

Lexie Aleah

Not sure what type of shows you like: Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries, Glitch, Wanted, Sherlock,Bates Motel.

Roswell Strange

How many seasons is Bates Motel? That’s one I’ve been told is quite good before, and I think it’s probably right up my alley genre wise.

Lexie Aleah

5 seasons, The acting is great.

Lindsay

Sense8!

Roswell Strange

Absolutely LOVE Sense8 – I was devastated when it was cancelled! I ended up going for Shadowhunters, but I’m powering through it scary fast (I’ve already finished the first season)! Next up will definitely be Bates Motel though!

psssst i had this and then the power went out and so i don’t remember much except it was tasty. Will write a better review time i have it

CrowKettle