Black Sheep - Yunnan Dian Hong Wild Black

Chocolate, Malt, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by teabento
Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 12 oz / 354 ml

• “Gongfu Sipdown (610)! Not a bad session; but a short feeling one. I used the whole 8g sample in a 150ml gaiwan, seven infusions. Big initially flavour payoff in steeps 1-4; tons of chocolate/malt...” Read full tasting note
  • “this one is really different from other pearls that i’ve had. It’s lighter, brassier…no real hints of malt…it’s sweet and tasty…but not what i would think of when thinking about dragon pearls. :)” Read full tasting note
  • “Thank you to Teabento for the lovely sample! The reason why I haven’t been around to review teas is because I keep getting sick and have been avoiding caffeinated beverages, especially. Had a cold...” Read full tasting note
  • “This starts out so yummy smelling from the bag – chocolate roasty toastedness. Plus, cute little black sheep curls – I love the presentation of TeaBento’s teas for sale. This is light, sweet, with...” Read full tasting note

From teabento

Hand picked from wild tea trees in Fengqing and hand shaped into balls. Black Sheep is a Dian Hong, one of the best black teas in China. The extra large pearls are cute and look beautiful when they open up and slowly unfurl in hot water. The tea has a smooth, rich mouthfeel and a de­lightful taste of chocolate, malt and honey. The handling is very convenient! Each ball weighs approx. 1-1.5g so it’s easy to measure the amount of the leaves which is ideal for travel or office. A good coffee alternative and perfect as a gift for friends!

>> To find this tea at: https://teabento.com/en/product/black-sheep/

About teabento View company

Gongfu Sipdown (610)!

Not a bad session; but a short feeling one. I used the whole 8g sample in a 150ml gaiwan, seven infusions. Big initially flavour payoff in steeps 1-4; tons of chocolate/malt and a bit of smoke and raisin in the undertones. Sweet, but not in a “bright” way. The same sort of decadent sweetness as a good brownie. Really quick drop off in flavour though, as is the case with a lot of black tea steeped Gong Fu. Still; a pleasant afternoon session.

Thank you to Teabento for the lovely sample! The reason why I haven’t been around to review teas is because I keep getting sick and have been avoiding caffeinated beverages, especially. Had a cold a few weeks ago, then my demanding, new boss was making it difficult to even drink any water throughout the day, which led to dehydration, which led to an ahem UTI. A week of antibiotics annihilated that, plus the cold went away. Ok cool, back on track. Then a few days after I finished those antibiotics (a couple days ago), I woke up with a sore throat that keeps getting worse. Went back to doctor very reluctantly, and sure enough, now I have strep throat. Just can’t win.

But at least I can go with caffeine again? So in walks Black Sheep finally, finally. Have been looking forward to trying this since I received my package.

Maybe it’s because I’m sick but these aren’t as chocolatey as I thought they would be. The mouthfeel is thinner with the most prominent note being honey, followed by some grainy malt. I’m looking forward to another cup of this soon, perhaps when I’m better, to see how the second round would go.

MrQuackers

So basically if you drank green tea, none of this would have happened?

Fjellrev

I do drink green tea, but the majority of this happened due to work stress and not being able to drink anything at all, even water, for the majority of the day for a week straight.

CrowKettle

Either one of those things is terrible, but to be hit back to back like that…! I wish you a speedy recovery so you can get back to enjoying tea, and life in general.

Fjellrev

Aww thanks, CrowKettle!

This is light, sweet, with a touch of chocolate. Only a small amount of malt, and it’s a thinner, buttery tea. I could drink this all day. It’s smooth and luxurious, without overpowering anything. Even though I normally like a bolder taste to my straight black teas, this one is a daily drink.

Flavors: Chocolate, Malt, Sweet