Ceylon Oolong

Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

From teakruthi

Pure Ceylon Oolong tea

Loose leaf · From Ruhuna (a.k.a. Southern or Matara) region

This low grown blend offers a fragrant, gentle experience. Harvested from a single estate in the Galle District in Sri Lanka, our green Oolong tea is certified ‘ozone-friendly’. Like all of our favourite teas, our Ceylon Oolong blend is packed with antioxidants, making it good for both the environment and you. The manufacturing process of this tea demands precision and care in every step, as it is semi-fermented. It is fresh and mild in flavour and orange in appearance. It is distinctive for its aroma, leaf, and liquor.

Tasting notes
Aroma
Herbaceous and sweet
Liquor
Orange
Taste
Fresh, mild

Health benefits of our Ceylon Oolong tea

Regular consumption of Ceylon Oolong can support weight loss through increased metabolism and enable a healthy lifestyle. Antioxidants present in Ceylon Oolong have also been shown to boost mental health, reducing the risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease. Other benefits include reduced risk of Ovarian and Prostate Cancer, heart disease and Diabetes through lowered levels of Cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar.

About teakruthi View company

I was really excited to try an oolong from a region that’s not known for producing them. My tastes run to greener oolongs from China and Taiwan, and it’s nice to get some variety. Thanks to Teakruthi for the sample. I steeped around 5 grams of this tea in a 355 ml mug at 185F for 3, 4, and 6 minutes.

The first steep has notes of decayed autumn leaves, grass, metal, and flowers. I’m not sure if it’s due to the processing, but this tea seems unfinished, kind of like I’d imagine raw tea leaves (or any steeped plant) would taste. If anything, this tastes like a grassy green tea. The next two steeps are much the same.

While this oolong is definitely green, it has none of the flavours or nuances I look for in these teas. Based on this sample, I don’t think Sri Lanka is ready for prime time as an oolong producer, though it’s great that they’re exploring different tea types. Maybe like Nepal a few years ago, Sri Lanka needs some time to refine their oolong-making technique, or maybe this tea just isn’t for me.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Floral, Grass, Metallic, Plants

185 °F / 85 °C 3 min, 0 sec 5 g 12 OZ / 355 ML

This was the second tea that I tried from teakruthi – I made it on the same day that I tried Lemon Kandy, but instead of just making a cup for myself I actually made it as a large teapot of tea to be shared among everyone else working in the lab with me for the day.

I chose it in particular to share because one of my coworkers is Sri Lankan and worked as a plantation manager for a period of time before moving along to do other things in the tea industry – he knows Sri Lankan teas very well and I was curious to get his perspective on some of these teas. When I asked him which he would most want to try he identified the oolong, as it’s a tea type you don’t really see produced all too much in the country.

I was riding a pretty nice high following the Lemon Kandy, and I have to say that made the fall all the more rough. To be honest while also being kind, this was not a great oolong. There were four of us who tried it, and we were all within the range of feeling like it was average to feeling it was just bad – but no one who loved it.

I didn’t really get any off notes from the infusion itself, but following steeping the tea the infused leaf had an almost fishy/oceanic aroma that wasn’t really bad but highly weird for an oolong tea. The appearance of the leaves look somewhat mulchy, and have a relatively uneven oxidation. The tea was pretty flat/dull and just didn’t have a lot of flavour to it in the first place – kind of a stagnant greener note, like plucked dandelions lying on pavement on a really hot summer day. I could see it being something you’d drink to still have some caffeine intake/hydration while doing other tasks that otherwise command your attention/focus – it would be easy to mindlessly consume this tea.

In my honest opinion, this is a tea I would recommend passing on if you’re considering placing an order though – of the five teas I’ve tried thus far it’s been the least pleasant. It’s a nice sort of novelty, and I can understand wanting to be able to cross off “Sri Lankan Oolong” from your ‘tea bucket list’ but you’re not missing anything flavour wise in not trying it…

Lasith at teakruthi

Sorry, this one was a miss. Surprisingly this one is one of our more popular ones given the general popularity of Oolong teas. Admittedly Oolong isn’t the main staple from Ceylon, our homeland Sri Lanka. Glad you’re enjoying the rest of the teas :-)