Assam "Black Beauty" #8

Caramel, Cream, Sweet
Edit tea info Last updated by Brad

1 Tasting Note View all

• “I was excited to try this tea, partly due to the description (it sounds exactly the kind of tea that I like), and partly due to the fact that I had great success with Tealyra’s Brandy Oolong, which...” Read full tasting note

From Tealyra

Our Assam “Black beauty” #8 is organically grown and produced in beautiful Taiwan. Assam Black Beauty is a distinct and highly appealing tea with a smooth richness of taste that is simply unsurpassed. With natural hints of cream, honey and bourbon! This tea is deliciously malty with notes of raisin and stone fruit. This is a tea that is very smooth, rich in character and deliciously deep! You will notice that the flavor is not nearly as brisk as a traditional Indian Assam, but almost has dark oolong characteristics.

About Tealyra View company

1 Tasting Note

I was excited to try this tea, partly due to the description (it sounds exactly the kind of tea that I like), and partly due to the fact that I had great success with Tealyra’s Brandy Oolong, which is currently my favourite tea. In fact I had ran out of Brandy Oolong and placed another order especially to get some more, and I added this tea to the order as well. It wasn’t long before it arrived that I was brewing it.

Appearance-wise it looks fantastic, brewing up a wonderful rich amber colour. The smell is slightly sweet and very inviting.

As for the taste… just wow. It delivers as per the description. It shares a creamy, caramelly smoothness with the Brandy Oolong that I love so much. This is like no Assam that I have tried before; if anything I would say that it is closer in taste to Golden Monkey, which I love.

I find that it holds up to multiple steeps relatively well. I went for 2 minutes, then 3m 45, then 8m (basically as long as you want, you’re just extracting any remaining flavour here). Even at the last steep it wasn’t bitter.

A little expensive perhaps, but I imagine that I’ll be treating myself to some more of this before long.

Flavors: Caramel, Cream, Sweet