Earl Grey Strong

Bergamot, Bitter, Dark Bittersweet
Edit tea info Last updated by

• “…Oh. I thought by “Strong” they meant strong bergamot. Like Harney & Sons’ Earl Grey Supreme. When I opened the sample, I expected a powerful whoosh of bergamot… but barely smelled any even...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea and I had a misunderstanding, so the first thing I have to do is apologise; sorry tea! When I read “Earl Grey Strong” I immediately thought of a strong Earl Grey (i.e. lots of bergamot)....” Read full tasting note

From Teapigs

Louise the tea taster says:
Do you like your earl grey to come with some real oomph and wallop? Well, this is the one for you. We’ve blended some powerful Assam and Rwandan with the more delicate Ceylon and Darjeeling to give the perfect strong tea base to compliment the zesty bergamot. Maybe more of a Duke than a lowly Earl?

How does it taste?
Strong black tea with delicate darjeeling and fancy bergamot. An early grey but with wallop!

Good if you’re feeling
In need of a sophisticated boost!

About Teapigs View company

…Oh. I thought by “Strong” they meant strong bergamot. Like Harney & Sons’ Earl Grey Supreme. When I opened the sample, I expected a powerful whoosh of bergamot… but barely smelled any even with the sachets right under my nose. Uh oh.

Turns out they meant that the black tea base is strong. Which it is. It brews up very dark and just looking at it lets me know I’ll need to sip this all day, not finish it before lunch like I usually do with my daily tea. If I’m not careful, this much caffeine can send me spiraling into The Upside Down of anxiety.

Steeped, I can smell the bergamot and it smells pretty high quality. And after a sip, I taste that it is. The exhale is fruity and bracing. This is much better than I expected, despite how almost coffee dark it is. Teapigs has not let me down. It’s a touch bitter, so I recommend adding more water than you normally would. Sure, I will be going back to my usual favorite EG, but I’m enjoying this.

Flavors: Bergamot, Bitter, Dark Bittersweet

Adam Greene

Alright, you’ve inspired me. I’m going to try and order from Teapigs today.

Tabby

@Adam Greene They’re expensive! But if you do, try Calm! Such a nice sleepytime tea.

This tea and I had a misunderstanding, so the first thing I have to do is apologise; sorry tea! When I read “Earl Grey Strong” I immediately thought of a strong Earl Grey (i.e. lots of bergamot). Apparently, that’s not what was meant. The black tea base is strong, and the bergamot level is the same. Actually, the bergamot is less prominent than usual because the base tea drowns it out more than it usually would. So it turns out that this could actually be one of my favourite Earl Grey blends, because it’s not strong. Or at least, not in the way I thought.

So now we have an understanding. The base tea here is pretty good – a blend of Assam, Rwandan, Ceylon and Darjeeling. It’s malty, sweet, a little zesty, and it takes milk well. I’m a bit of a heretic and usually drink my EG with milk anyway, so this suits me well. The bergamot is barely a presence, if I’m honest. There’s a hint of it kicking around in the background but it’s not the main flavour like it usually is. I could actually take a bit more bergamot, which is a rare thing for me to say, because without it this is really just a breakfast blend. It strikes a pretty good balance, though, and I was happy to have straightened things out with this tea. It’s a good ’un after all.

Tabby

That is exactly what I thought, too! I was like “This is gonna be like Harney’s Earl Grey Supreme, right?”