Huang Jin Gui

Oolong Tea
Floral, Grass, Sugar
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

From Teas Etc

Huang Jin Gui is another of my favorite oolongs that I uncovered on my last trip to China.

Grown at high elevations in Fujian Province in China, this sumptuous, crisp green oolong has complex character, opening with fruit tones and finishing with sweet floral notes and a hint of honey.

This aromatic brew is delicious served hot or cold, and is an incredible tea at an equally incredible price. This oolong is low in caffeine, when brewed according to our instructions, and infuses several times, each revealing a new layer of taste.

Huang Jin Gui Tea Type: Oolong Tea

Ingredients: Chinese green oolong (huang jin gui)

Origin of Huang Jin Gui : China

About Teas Etc View company

Direct trade quality loose leaf tea for more than a decade. World Tea Championship winners in 2008 & 2009. USDA Certified Organic. Based in US with buying office in China.

Have a new office hot water dispenser…it only hits 118 deg. F. Not hot enough for a good black tea (and the office microwave takes like 3 minutes to get the water any reasonbly hotter; I can’t be expected to wait another 3 minutes for tea, can I?). So, I tried going green with it. This is a green oolong that I purposefully oversteeped in deference to the cool water. Very good! Still brews pale and clear, but the flavor is intensely concentrated. Not so much of a floral overtone, but strong green vegetable, like asparagus or spinach. No it doesn’t taste like spinach…but the flavor is intense, concentrated like that.
I have some green tea that a friend brought back from mainland China…no idea what it is as the label is in Chinese…when it steeps, in unfurls to an actual twig with tips and one or two full leaves…this reminds me of that tea.

Used up the last of this tea. And it was as good as I remembered, especially as it cooled. A floral aroma and a sweet taste that lingered.

This is another tea that I enjoy more every time I try it. Great for multiple infusions, seems to get sweeter with each steep.

190 °F / 87 °C

2nd steep
4g tea
12oz water

There is sweetness element to this, that seems to linger on the tongue for 5 to 10 seconds. This second steep is still quite pleasant and very smooth. It has not gotten bitter or astringent.

Great tea! Not as flavorful as other Huang Jin Gui I’ve had, but a great Oolong nonetheless. Especially for the price! Recommend it as an everyday Jin Gui! :)

I love this tea! It’s great at anytime of the day with a touch of honey! :)

Dammit, I wrote an entire note about this and then lost it somehow.

The upshot is — if Alishan is Sauvignon Blanc and Tieguanyin is Chardonnay, this is a Riesling.

Gaiwan. 195F. Rinse. 15 sec +5 each time through 4 steeps.

The dry leaf smells green and grassy — not really floral or like diary products. The wet leaf smells very sweet and sugary, like a praline almost.

The color is a vibrant yellow, and the steeped tea has a very light floral smell. The flavor is also very mild, subtly floral, and no dairy to speak of.

I am not sure whether I’ve ever had this type of tea before. Wikipedia says it is similar to tieguanyin, and that’s my experience — though I would characterize it as light bodied rather than full bodied.

I like it, but it’s a little on the light side for what I’d normally want in a green oolong.

Oolong was the first loose leaf tea I experimented with way back when, and I still feel like something of a novice. I have the coarse distinctions down — dark vs. green, Taiwan vs. China — but not the fine ones. I can usually tell a tieguanyin when I smell it and I know know more about milk oolongs than I did even a couple of months ago.

But I don’t have all the names down (either in Chinese or English) which leads to confusion. I had a duh moment a few days ago when I realized that tieguanyin and Iron Goddess were the same.

Is there a good, definitive resource on this? A book? A web site?

Flavors: Floral, Grass, Sugar

195 °F / 90 °C
Mastress Alita

I finally have a really good book on Japanese teas, but I’d love one on Chinese teas.