Jun Shan

Yellow Tea
Asparagus, Spinach, Vegetal, Wood
Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “This is my last cup of this sample. So sad! Fortunately, it was a great cup to end on. In fact, I’m giving the rating a bump upwards just a tad because it is just so good. It’s got some faint...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is a yellow tea, though the labeling is confusing. The name is “Jun Shan white tea” but the ingredients say Chinese yellow tea. Thanks for that, Teas Etc. In any case, I steeped somewhere in...” Read full tasting note

From Teas Etc

A precious yellow tea originating from the Chinese Hunan Province, Jun Shan Island is also known as the Island of Immortals.

The subtle taste of this Jun Shan is sweet and smooth, the leaf a beautiful green shiny hue.

Jun Shan Yellow Tea Tea Type: White Tea

Ingredients: Chinese yellow tea (jun shan)

Origin of Jun Shan Yellow Tea : Hunan, China

About Teas Etc View company

Direct trade quality loose leaf tea for more than a decade. World Tea Championship winners in 2008 & 2009. USDA Certified Organic. Based in US with buying office in China.

It’s got some faint notes of a Chinese green – a little grassy, a little mineral/salty, a little sweet – and and some stronger notes of a good Silver Needle (I’m thinking specifically of Chicago Tea Garden’s SN which I had recently) with honey and nectar and bit of vegetal depth.

My little cup went very quickly and pretty much guaranteed that, when I next order from Teas Etc, I will be getting some of this tea.
2.4g/5oz

sophistre

So glad you liked it! I really ought to revisit this one sometime, I think.

Auggy

I really do like it a lot! All the things I like in a Chinese green and a white, none of the stuff I don’t. So tasty!

In any case, I steeped somewhere in between what I’d normally do for a yellow, which is essentially what I’d do for a green, and what the label suggested.

I get what Auggy means about this feeling somewhere between a green and a white. I definitely get that from the smell of the dry leaves. On the green side, there’s a vegetal green smell and on the white, a more pungent woody smell that combine into one thing.

The color is very pale yellow and clear. The steeped tea smells like a straight up green to me. I get a spinach note from it, though not a strong one.

Flavor-wise, I also get more of a green tea taste. It’s mild, and not at all bitter and the flavor isn’t strongly spinachy. It’s a little more asparagusy. But it isn’t strongly vegetal, just enough to make it recognizably tea.

It’s plenty pleasant, and will make a nice work tea.

Flavors: Asparagus, Spinach, Vegetal, Wood