Samurai Chai Maté

Chai Green Rooibos Yerba maté Blend
Anise, Artificial Flavouring, Candied Papaya, Candied Pinapple, Cardamon, Cinnamon, Coriander, Green Rooibos, Green Yerba Mate, Lemongrass, Orange Peels
Cinnamon, Citrus, Grass, Passion Fruits, Pineapple, Sugar, Sweet, Coffee, Smooth, Lemongrass, Orange, Coriander, Orange Zest, Peppercorn, Clove, Fruity, Spicy, Apple, Ginger, Spices, Wood, Cardamon, Floral
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by Michelle Szetela

2 Images

• “Thanks to Madeline Alyce for sending me a sample of this tea! I’ve been curious to try a few mates in the morning in hopes that they may WAKE ME UP! This reminds me a lot of Teavana’s white chai,...” Read full tasting note
  • “Pushing the rating up a bit. I think this is what lets the Masala I blend it with really shine…like a good coat of light primer to layer darker shades of paint on top of. On a related note though,...” Read full tasting note
  • “So this is the fourth and final tea from the gift pack I first talked about in this note: http://steepster.com/clareborn/posts/184829 Today is an important day; it’s Swedish Cinnamon Roll Day!...” Read full tasting note
  • “i’m addicted to the scent of this after a steep! couldn’t put the teapot down…and i wouldnt have if i didnt have to pour out the pot of MateVana (steeped them at the same time for comparison) even...” Read full tasting note

From Teavana

The way of the warrior is strength, skill, fairness, mercy, power, energy and balance. Our chai embodies this spirit with an invigorating green mate and green rooibos blend. Cinnamon, anise and cardamom blend with papaya, pineapple, orange and lemongrass – a combination to face every new day samurai-style.

Sweet and spicy infusion of cinnamon and citrus undertones with papaya.

About Teavana View company

Sipdown! But since I forgot to add this to my cupboard, I haven’t actually decreased my numbers any.

I like this. It’s got a lot of cinnamon and undefined spiciness but its not overwhelming. I might be tempted by this again as it made a nice, forgiving work tea. Plus, it smells like a cinnamon cookie and who doesn’t love that?

This one is great for when you have a cold. Mate is a hit or miss for me, but with the green rooibos and papaya, it tastes much better. The dried fruit and sugar definitely help sweeten it. I personally think that it is a little over priced, and would not seek it out to pay for it. So good, but not great.

Flavors: Citrus, Grass, Passion Fruits, Pineapple, Sugar, Sweet

Teavana usually offers this as a sample. I’m in love. It tastes like strong, sweet cinnamon. Kinda tongue-numbing but that’s fine by me.

Flavors: Cinnamon

I was given this as a gift a while back. I had one last tea sac (another gift) to use and decided to throw this in there. I stepped this while waiting for one of my classes to start with some Keurig hot water. The aroma is a smooth chai mix. I can hint at strong cinnamon tones with cardamom and sugar. The taste itself is very thick and silky. This is a very soft chai. The spice notes are overcomed by the mate, sugar, and sweeteners. It tastes sweet and thick. The only chia taste is the undertone of spice. If you are unfamiliar with chai’s and like something that doesn’t kick hard, this would be your best bet. It did the job in keeping me awake, but i would not spend money on it. I am not the largest Teavana fan, so I am a little biased. It is a smooth and balanced chai though.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Coffee, Smooth, Sugar, Sweet

Boiling 5 min, 45 sec 2 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

With minimal caffeine, this tea wakes me up without the unnecessary kick. You can taste the cinnamon, lemongrass, and orange notes, but the papaya and pineapple fall short (which is fine, since that might make the tea unappealing to me). I typically do not brew this one twice, but the price is decent.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Lemongrass, Orange

Initially, I wasn’t a fan of this one. But after sampling the youthberry/wild orange blossom blend, I gave it another chance (I’m not one for fruity tea flavors). I tried this again after fully having a “maharaja oolong” moment and finally found that this was a favorite after 3 cups. I’ve been wary of cinnamon, but this does have hints of lemongrass, which I LOVE. That just about balances it out for me. If it wasn’t for the subtle notes of “green” (rooibos, mate), then it wouldn’t have caught my attention.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Coriander, Lemongrass

I like the spiciness of this chai/mate; it’s not overbearing, but delightful. I purchased a couple ounces of this tea a year ago and still have it in a tin, I drink a cup every now and then. I probably won’t buy more when I run out, but it’s nice to have something a little different from time to time.

PTS TTB

Eh, I don’t know how I feel about this, lots of cinnamon followed by lots of fruity makes a weird combination to me.

Horrendously offensive name aside, this is a pretty good tea. (I mean, what were they thinking? Japanese Samurai did not drink Argentinian herbal tea flavored like the national drink of India.) it has a decently balanced flavor, and the tannins of the mate never get in the way of the citrus notes or the spice. It’s a pretty good alternative to traditional chai; it keeps it’s fresh, bright taste, while still being full-bodied.

Flavors: Orange Zest, Peppercorn

2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

This is a delicious chai! It’s super smooth and warm and has a lot of natural sweetness. I enjoy it both with and without milk. The spices are definitely present, but it’s not the tongue-numbing spiciness that I’ve found in Teavana’s newer chais. It’s also highly caffeinated, so it’s a great wake-me-up tea!

Flavors: Cinnamon, Clove, Fruity, Smooth, Spicy, Sweet