Gyokuro Imperial

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Astringent, Grass, Smooth, Vegetal, Butter, Sweet, Burnt, Hay, Straw, Sweet, warm grass, Dark Bittersweet
Bulk, Loose Leaf
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Steve

2 Images

• “SIPDOWN! Thanks to Raritea for this sample. Now i’m not huge fan of straight greens but this one is for sure one that I could keep around for when i’m in the mood for a straight green. There’s a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks to Raritea for a sample of this one! Unfortunately, although I knowingly wrote 1 tsp on the bag, I clearly put 1.5 into it, so this is not yet a sipdown :( Ahhh, this is tasty. Vegetal and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Loose Appearance: long fine leaf, dark forest green Aroma when Dry: buttery, smooth, sweet (eastern) After water is first poured: buttery, smooth, creamy, sweet (eastern) At end of first steep:...” Read full tasting note
  • “This poor tea… I killed it with both steeping time and hot water. My mom still loved it, but I thought it was too astringent for me. She said “it tastes like spinach water” and, as she is someone...” Read full tasting note

From Teavana

Rich, almost full-bodied, smooth taste with sweet ending & complex notes.

The finest of Japanese teas, Gyokuro bushes are covered for several weeks before harvest with bamboo or straw shades to increase the chlorophyll content of the leaves. The results of this transformation are the renowned dark green leaves with high concentrations of Antioxidants, vitamins and amino acids. Celebrated for its emerald green infusion and sweet aftertaste.

How to Prepare
Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8oz of water. Heat water to 175 degrees (79 degrees Celsius) and steep for 45 seconds to 1 minute. For stronger flavor, use more tea leaves. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.

About Teavana View company

I’ve only had this tea prepared as per the recommendation of Teavana, which is steeped for 45 seconds in 175F water. After reading some of the reviews of other Steepsters, I think I’m going to try it for 2 minutes, especially in the morning as a replacement for my morning coffee.

Yes, when I first sampled this coffee, it definitely reminded me of fresh cut grass. I actually thought that was an indication of poor quality. But to the contrary, this tea has become my favorite green tea thus far. I’ve only had it by itself, but I think it would complement a dim sum dish very nicely.

It is pricey, but one of the more flavorful and authentic green teas that are available through the Teavana brand.

I’m rather new to the green tea scene, but I know that this tea blew me away. If brewed with care, this tea has this incredible vegetal taste that is not overpowering but actually pretty smooth. The leaves are this beautiful dark green color that leave the tea almost a vibrant greenish-yellow. It is good with rock sugar but I prefer it with Teavana’s Organic Volcano White Honey. I also like it hot or iced. I haven’t had the heart to try it blended with other types of tea since I enjoy it so much alone, but I bet it would make interesting blends. Despite the higher price tag, I’ve been able to re-use the tea 3 times, with later steeps tasting better than the first.

The aroma of the leaf in the tin is vegtal, but also rich, almost buttery. It yields a mild cup that is green, but not the professed emerald green on the label (which I have seen in other brands). It is gentle and grassy on the first infusion, and sweeter on the second.

The brewing instructions on my package called for 175 degrees for 30-45 seconds, however, I found the resulting infusion too weak, and increased the time to 90 seconds, which was sufficient without any trace of bitterness.

Zij-Ra

Buttery, yes! I was trying to think of how to describe that undertone.
Great review. :3

Hands down the best green tea I’ve had. Light and grassy and not at all bitter (as long as it gets only a quick steep, that is). I’m definitely partial to Japanese greens, but suspect this would be well liked by anyone who enjoys green tea in general.

I love the gentle taste of this tea. One of the best tasting teas I have had.

Best green tea I have ever tasted! This is naturally sweet with a great grassy bite to it and a smoothness that is just wonderful. The smell alone makes me happy! Absolutely a must for everyone. I find this tea usually makes people fall in love with the Japanese greens. Can be re-infused.

Ever seen that Spongebob episode where he and Patrick go to Glove World? They get glove hats, glove flashlights, and glove-flavored candy. This tea would fit in nicely because it has a nice buttery texture and notes of fresh cut grass and freshly-opened latex gloves!

Rubber flavor aside, it was drinkable, and I did in fact make several infusions of it. If you can get over the “dentist sticking his hands in your mouth” aroma, it’s not all that bad. Pairs well with pistachios.

I’d think that maybe it’s just me or I got a bad batch, but a friend had said the same thing to me about it a year ago.
Idk, I’m not very experienced with Japanese teas, but I have had one other gyokuro and it didn’t taste like gloves at all. :/

Flavors: Butter, Grass

140 °F / 60 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
Roswell Strange

While that sounds like an awful taste experience, I absolutely ADORE your description of it. It’s so incredibly on point to a taste I find I often get in a lot of straight Japanese greens.

tperez

Haha thanks! I may make it sound worse than it was, it wasn’t terrible, but it was certainly quite strange.

Ken

Gyokuro should not be gloves, it should be butter and grass, and floral and sweet.

Teavana has a big problem with hit and miss tea.

Cindy

Now this had me laughing out loud! I am drinking Davids Tea Gyokuro Yamashiro tea right now and its much better. Have you tried theirs?

tperez

It was definitely a funny experience! I haven’t tried Davids Gyokuro though, I’m not too big a fan of Japanese greens, but it’s nice to have one every once in a while (that doesn’t taste like gloves!)

My absolute go to tea. I drink this tea multiple times a week. For me this is the absolute best green tea, as it can be drank straight or with honey. The first sips are smooth and vegetal, and as it cools the sweet notes are increased. Because I enjoy the sweetness I enjoy this tea at room temperature.

Flavors: Smooth, Sweet, Vegetal

Like dried grass. Earthy. Not too strong

So the wonderful thing about ambibeverageous is that being a Starbucks rewards member I can now get a free ounce of tea rather than a free coffee drink. It’s not just the bottom of the barrel tea either it’s any tea…so of course I went for the Gyokuro. Supposedly the most exquisite and finest quality tea right? First steep the pot is like neon yellow and the sediment left over is almost like matcha. The flavor is smooth and grassy. There isn’t much difference though between this and a really good Long Jing. Seriously the same flavor profile. The real test…ummm yeah this ones a two hump chump. Third steep the leaves couldn’t hack it. The pot was closer to a brown more than bright yellow, and this is doing 1 minute steeps like recommended. I’m sorry but if a tea is going cost that much you should at least get 3-4 good steeps out of the leaves.

gmathis

1,000 bonus points for “ambibeverageous!”