Gyokuro Imperial

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Astringent, Grass, Smooth, Vegetal, Butter, Sweet, Burnt, Hay, Straw, Sweet, warm grass, Dark Bittersweet
Bulk, Loose Leaf
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Steve

2 Images

• “SIPDOWN! Thanks to Raritea for this sample. Now i’m not huge fan of straight greens but this one is for sure one that I could keep around for when i’m in the mood for a straight green. There’s a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks to Raritea for a sample of this one! Unfortunately, although I knowingly wrote 1 tsp on the bag, I clearly put 1.5 into it, so this is not yet a sipdown :( Ahhh, this is tasty. Vegetal and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Loose Appearance: long fine leaf, dark forest green Aroma when Dry: buttery, smooth, sweet (eastern) After water is first poured: buttery, smooth, creamy, sweet (eastern) At end of first steep:...” Read full tasting note
  • “This poor tea… I killed it with both steeping time and hot water. My mom still loved it, but I thought it was too astringent for me. She said “it tastes like spinach water” and, as she is someone...” Read full tasting note

From Teavana

Rich, almost full-bodied, smooth taste with sweet ending & complex notes.

The finest of Japanese teas, Gyokuro bushes are covered for several weeks before harvest with bamboo or straw shades to increase the chlorophyll content of the leaves. The results of this transformation are the renowned dark green leaves with high concentrations of Antioxidants, vitamins and amino acids. Celebrated for its emerald green infusion and sweet aftertaste.

How to Prepare
Use 1 teaspoon of tea per 8oz of water. Heat water to 175 degrees (79 degrees Celsius) and steep for 45 seconds to 1 minute. For stronger flavor, use more tea leaves. 2oz of tea equals 25-30 teaspoons.

About Teavana View company

Nope. Nope. Blasphemy. Whole lot of hot nope in a cup.

If you know me, you know very well I firmly believe Teavana is Satan incarnate. Firstly, Senchas are some of my most precious and favorite teas, and I know very well, they can be difficult and quite tedious to make, and have quite the learning curve. But, for some reason, I don’t feel that Teavanas employees receive any training or gain any basic fundamental knowledge on tea. (When going into the store once I asked if they had any Pu’erh, and they asked is that a brand, and that isn’t a type of tea that exists.)

So regardless of my bias, this tea was terribly terribly made, (they asked if I wanted milk or honey in the tea, and I probably looked at the poor cashier like she asked if I wanted to buy drugs) and the quality of the leaves was nothing but subpar. The brew was too soupy, burnt, and tasted like it had been sitting in that tin for over a year, all the flavor had vanished and all that was left in my cup was the shell of it’s former self. I have had this actually at least twice, trying to give it another chance, but it generally tastes like this each time. The flavor isn’t there, it just tastes astringent.The water was far too hot for a japanese green, and there was far too much tea used. This tea was also brewed for probably at least two and a half minutes…. Do I need say more? I have a feeling that Teavana, adds flavoring to it’s tea as well, even the ones that seem to be just pure tea and aren’t a blend, to try and improve the falvor. Gyokuro is generally a very buttery, flowery umami sencha, this is something different. It tastes like tea powder from a bag of lipton tea.

Overall, don’t try this tea, and please don’t purchase from Teavana. I have plenty of reasons why, and really I only need one reason, and one reason alone why they are the devil.

That reason is: Oprah Chai

Flavors: Astringent, Burnt

Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 8 g 24 OZ / 709 ML

I want to like this tea more. It has potential, but the flavors just aren’t well balanced. It’s not bad, really, but it just isn’t as good as it should be, or as good as Teavana says it is.

Long story short, it has a great flavor, but those flavors get lost among each other, and the end product is a bit bland and mixed.

Don’t get me wrong, this is better than most teas I’ve bought in boxes at grocery stores, but it is just not nearly up to par with the concept of high grade, quality loose leaf tea like Teavana wants to be.

I figured it was a good day to break out a favorite. I like that this tea is sweet, but still has just enough grassiness. I have consumed about half of the 3 ounces I’ve purchased in the last month…I’ll try to stretch the rest out over a longer period of time.

Tasting a few of my older teas today, to see if they’re still good… This was one of my first loose-leaf purchases, so it’s at least three years old. And it’s held up surprisingly well! The aroma is the same as when I bought it, a sweet grassy smell. Once steeped, this tea has a buttery smooth flavor, along with a soft vegetal aftertaste. This particular cup is really powdery and a little bitter, since I wasn’t as careful with the steeping as I should have been… I honestly didn’t expect it to still taste this good! It’s a nice straight green. Like a lot of Teavana’s teas, it’s too expensive/not quite special enough to me to justify buying it again. But I’ll certainly keep around what I have left.

I’ll start off by stating that I am of Japanese decent. That being said, this is by far the closest green tea I have had in America to the Japanese Green Tea that I love. The grassy aroma and soft buttery texture makes it a treat to be able to drink every day (I work at Teavana and get to drink every day). While it might appear that I am just advertising, this is truly a tea that I wish everybody would at least try. It is my absolute favorite Green Tea and possibly my favorite everyday tea. If you make at home, try using some distilled water rather than plain filtered water. The taste is much more accurate to true Japanese tea and the color is a distinct green as long as the temperature and time are also correct.

Flavors: Sweet, warm grass, Vegetal

So I’m not one for straight greens… Or greens at all really, but I do like this tea very much. Grassy, buttery and bold, this green is nice and forward with flavor. Now, I do work at teavana now, and though that is the case, I am not bias, having loved tea for before I worked there. If anyone wants me to review anything, please let me know^_^

I’m probably a bit biased, but this is my favorite tea ever. I love my black teas but this green tea takes the cake. Just taking a sniff of it, you know there’s something different about it. There’s almost a sweet fragrance to it unlike most green teas, and when brewed the taste isn’t too “strong” in terms of flavor wise (reminder: I take straight black teas). It does what it needs to do while tasting amazing. Will always recommend!

Pure, green tea taste.

I love drinking green tea straight. This is a new addition for me, as I’ve been drinking Jade Dragon Mao Feng Green Tea for the past couple of months, which is milder and better (to me) in taste. This one is a bit stronger in taste and color, but I love the health benefits of it and will continue to buy it.

Thanks to Tea Junkie for this sample. Love it… I desperately want more. One of the better green teas I’ve had. I’m afraid that I greedily drank it all down without takign any notes..

tea-junkie

Glad to hear that. I myself love this Japanese tea. Best green tea there is to me. Let me know if you’d like any more.