Tie Guan Yin “Iron Goddess” Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Floral, Grass, Menthol, Pleasantly Sour, Sweet, Vanilla, Butter, Gardenias, Green, Marshmallow, Roasted, Sugar, Jasmine, Peas, Astringent, Creamy, Vegetal, Spinach, Honeysuckle, Earth, Mineral, Popcorn, Vegetable Broth, Cream, Orchid, Apricot, Flowers, Fruity, Sweet, warm grass, Smooth, Cake, Cucumber, Melon, Orchids
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

2 Images

• “I drank myself half silly with this one all day yesterday at work. Six (12oz) mugs I think – kind of lost track. I came in this morning and the leaf was still lush and green. I thought what the...” Read full tasting note
  • “First of all, I’m going to start off by getting a little personal. For about three and a half years now, I’ve been battling severe addiction and depression. But for the past few weeks, I’ve been...” Read full tasting note
  • “My second sampling of TEAVIVRE samples arrived today!!! So excited! Thank you Angel and TEAVIVRE so much for your generosity!! This was my first sample to try. I used only 2tsp of leaves instead...” Read full tasting note
  • “A really great tea! I was feeling down and so this is my late night pick-me-up. I really appreciate how much information was given on this tea package. I think that it was nice to have exact...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Origin: Anxi, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Jade colored leaves (hand made into small, rolled up)

Taste: Delightfully fresh floral taste and aroma

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Tie Guan Yin tea is the premium form of Chinese Oolong teas. Being lightly fermented, these teas are high amino acids, vitamins, polyphenols and antioxidants. These combine into a tea that reduces cholesterol and helps reduce hardening of the arteries, and so can help reduce risks of heart attacks. The antioxidants it contains can also help guard against some forms of cancer, and also help fight the affects of aging and bacterial infections.

About Teavivre View company

Sample provided by TeaVivre:

This a very green oolong with a taste that borders on floral rather than buttery. The dry leaves smelled very much like veggies, but that subsided with the first steep. I am brewing this in my steeper mug, and it is perfectly yummy. This has a gentle sweet aftertaste that makes my mouth feel very clean for some reason, lol. Very refreshing!

2nd steep brings the huge leaves out of hiding. Flavour from the first steep is duplicated in the second. This looks like a hearty tea!

First of all, thanks again Teavivre for sending me this sample!

This is my first lightly-oxidized Tie Guan Yin, and also my first confirmed spring picking, so I was a bit excited. The aroma of the dry leaves was a bit fruity, with hint of flowers and nuts. The first infusion was had the same aroma as the dried leaves, but the smells were a bit more muted, which allowed them to become more harmonious. The taste was a bit fruity, with a slight aftertaste of nuttiness. The second infusion was mostly the same, but a bit nuttier overall, and with the fruity flavors starting to subside a bit.

I bought the Oolong sample set from Teavivre and had been discouraged after trying a couple of them. I thought maybe I should just stick to Puerh teas and Oolong wasn’t for me! This tea changed that all for me however. It has a smooth flavor with none of the bitterness I experienced from the other samples, even in the early steeps. The later steeps became sweeter with some vanilla notes that were very pleasant. I can’t wait to give it another try.

Flavors: Floral, Grass, Menthol, Pleasantly Sour, Sweet, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This afternoon I’m using the Spring 2017 release of this tea. It is a midly roasted version that looks like a slightly duller version of the bright green competition grade tie guan yins. The dry leaves smell like tea. Imagine that. :-) By that, I mean the dry leaves just smell pure. I don’t pick up on anything other that pure tea smell except just the slightest roasted note. I decided to prepare this Anxi style in a small red 70 ml Jianshui clay pot placed on a tea boat bowl. The dry leaves were placed in the pot and just off boiling water was poured over and around the pot. The leaves now gave off a slightly more vegetal scent. After a fast rinse, the first three steeps were kept under 10 seconds, shaking the pot to unfurl the leaves between each steep. We have gardenias around our property, and unfortunately they are no longer blooming to do a direct one on one comparison, but I happened to smell a gardenia blossom just a week ago, and this tie guan yin scent is very close to gardenia. Gardenia can be one of those heady sweet scents that are hard to take for a long period of time, but the tie guan yin gardenia is more delicate. It does not offend in any way. The first few infusions were buttery, green, sweet. This is really delicious. Liquor is pale yellow. Infusions are now incredibly sweet. It’s as if sugar has been secretly added to the cup. Pushing the tea toward the front of my mouth, I detected what tasted like a lightly toasted marshmallow. It was fleeting, but it was there. With this tea session, I’m paying more attention to the timing, and I’m pouring around the edges and not directly into the center of the leaves. I like the results, because I got zero bitterness and zero vegetal taste in this session. I would recommend this tie guan yin, and here is a link to the instructions I used for brewing this Anxi style. Check out his other articles, as well:

Flavors: Butter, Gardenias, Green, Marshmallow, Roasted, Sugar, Sweet

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 2 OZ / 70 ML

My first ever experience with oolong tea. Used amount of 2 teaspoon, rinsed, and waited 4 minute for brewing. However for 1. steep there was a dominant grass taste and nothing else. Maybe it’s because of me since I’m new to this and can’t catch the notes.
2. steep has less vegetal taste but still couldn’t taste something special.

Flavors: Grass

TeaVivre

I’m so sorry that this Oolong tea didn’t meet your expectation.

Would you please advise me more details about your brewing method? Such as the temperature, the volume of the teapot?

Hope we can find a way to catch more notes from this tea.

Wish you a nice weekend!

dalaware

Western Brewing. 24oz water used in ~36 oz glass teapot with tea amount of 4 teaspoon. I’ll try different amount, temperature and I’ll update this tealog later.

TeaVivre

Maybe a different capacity of teapot, I look forward to your updated information later!

I picked the most generic looking Tieguanyin to start me on my +15 guanyin journey.

I did a short rinse, and a first gongfu steep of about “how long it takes to open up a little and for the water to change colour.” The aroma is incredibly floral, like jasmine with a smudge of lilac. This carries over into the flavour profile, which is a buttery floral bouquet.

Second and third infusions are incredibly sweet, with a vegetal element. Just to show that my family doesn’t have a flower nose, my mom said this cup smelled like “rose, dandelion, sweet, orange blossom.” Name all the flowers and eventually one will be right. We can all agree it smells and tastes “beautiful” though.

Fourth and fifth infusions became increasingly mellow and smooth. The floral notes have taken on a backseat role and become more of a soft honeysuckle. The vegetal sweetness is front and center.

I had to cut this session here, which is too bad because this was slowly becoming more and more delicious.

Steep Count: 5

(2016 Harvest)

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Jasmine, Peas, Sweet

195 °F / 90 °C 3 tsp 4 OZ / 118 ML
tea-sipper

psst… I think you started with the best Tie Guan Yin. :D

CrowKettle

I suspect you may be right, but there are many more oolong samples to work through!

Very green and verdant with the beautiful characteristic taste of TGY – milky, nutty, leafy, sweet. I shared this with my mother who is completely unfamiliar with loose leaf teas, oolongs, or tea in general. She enjoyed it, which I mark as a big win since it is not like anything she knows she likes. I could drink this over and over again.

My nephew and I enjoyed the second Teavivre sample of this yesterday. He gave up after a few steeps. I think he liked yesterday’s tea better than today but for me this was the favorite yet. The third steep, in particular, was creamy and smooth and really yummy. Most of the steeps were quite short (5-10 seconds).

Flavors: Creamy, Floral, Spinach

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

I think I finally got the parameters right for this one. I used about 3.5g leaf in a 100mL gaiwan with 185f water. The smell of the dry leaves was so floral that I knew there had to be some way to get that in the flavor. This worked pretty well, with early steeps being intensely floral, and the flavor getting more nasal and “green” as I went. Like steeped out flower stems or something. I don’t know if this is what it would actually taste like, but the descriptor of chlorophyll came to mind.

Flavors: Floral, Green, Mineral

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Rasseru

I always get a chlorophyll idea in my head, and also how I imagine more darker chlorophyll to taste in some purple leaf oolong, a weird sharper note

Matu

To me it’s like a plant taste…but not floral or vegetal – just green. Like how I imagine it’d taste if I just started chewing on a green leaf. Maybe not as bitter as that would be, but a bit of a sharp flavor for sure.

My god, is this really Tie Guan Yin? I just brewed the 2015 Teavivre Tie Guan Yin and if you had asked me in a blind tasting, I would have sworn this was a Jin Xuan Oolong. The leaves are green, not darker roasted like traditional Tieguanyins I’ve tasted, and it smells super buttery and fresh like popcorn. (Update: I now realise after a bit more tea experience that this is what non-roasted Tieguanyins usually taste like.)

It’s also strange that this green oolong is brewed at 212˚F.

1st infusion: Beautiful, buttery, fragrant, clear.

2nd infusion: Still smells and tastes buttery, but subtle and a tad bitter.

3rd and 4th infusions: As the Chinese saying goes, 三道四道是精华。No bitterness this time, just a subtle floral butteriness.

Flavors: Butter, Popcorn