Tie Guan Yin “Iron Goddess” Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Grass, Butter, Floral, Jasmine, Peas, Sweet, Astringent, Creamy, Vegetal, Spinach, Honeysuckle, Earth, Menthol, Mineral, Pleasantly Sour, Green, Popcorn, Vegetable Broth, Cream, Orchid, Apricot, Flowers, Fruity, Sweet, warm grass, Smooth, Cake, Vanilla, Cucumber, Melon, Orchids
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

2 Images

• “I drank myself half silly with this one all day yesterday at work. Six (12oz) mugs I think – kind of lost track. I came in this morning and the leaf was still lush and green. I thought what the...” Read full tasting note
  • “First of all, I’m going to start off by getting a little personal. For about three and a half years now, I’ve been battling severe addiction and depression. But for the past few weeks, I’ve been...” Read full tasting note
  • “My second sampling of TEAVIVRE samples arrived today!!! So excited! Thank you Angel and TEAVIVRE so much for your generosity!! This was my first sample to try. I used only 2tsp of leaves instead...” Read full tasting note
  • “A really great tea! I was feeling down and so this is my late night pick-me-up. I really appreciate how much information was given on this tea package. I think that it was nice to have exact...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Origin: Anxi, Fujian, China

Ingredients: Jade colored leaves (hand made into small, rolled up)

Taste: Delightfully fresh floral taste and aroma

Brew: 3-4 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: Tie Guan Yin tea is the premium form of Chinese Oolong teas. Being lightly fermented, these teas are high amino acids, vitamins, polyphenols and antioxidants. These combine into a tea that reduces cholesterol and helps reduce hardening of the arteries, and so can help reduce risks of heart attacks. The antioxidants it contains can also help guard against some forms of cancer, and also help fight the affects of aging and bacterial infections.

About Teavivre View company

(This sample was generously provide to me by Teavivre. Thank you Angel and the whole Teavivre Team.)
Dry Leaf: Has a sweet and vegetal aroma.
Wet Leaf: The vegetal aroma is more dominant but the sweet aroma is still in the background.
Liquor: Has a pale yellowish color nice brightness and good clarity.
Taste: This tea has a smooth crisp and clean floral and vegetal flavor with some sweetness. The broth seemed rich in texture in the mouth too.
My Score/ Over All Opinion: 91, I enjoyed this tea is was clean crisp and refreshing. This tea is lighter oxidized so has more of the vegetal aspect. This tea reminded me slightly of mellow monks top leaf with some subtle differences.

Sample provided by TeaVivre:

This a very green oolong with a taste that borders on floral rather than buttery. The dry leaves smelled very much like veggies, but that subsided with the first steep. I am brewing this in my steeper mug, and it is perfectly yummy. This has a gentle sweet aftertaste that makes my mouth feel very clean for some reason, lol. Very refreshing!

2nd steep brings the huge leaves out of hiding. Flavour from the first steep is duplicated in the second. This looks like a hearty tea!

First of all, thanks again Teavivre for sending me this sample!

This is my first lightly-oxidized Tie Guan Yin, and also my first confirmed spring picking, so I was a bit excited. The aroma of the dry leaves was a bit fruity, with hint of flowers and nuts. The first infusion was had the same aroma as the dried leaves, but the smells were a bit more muted, which allowed them to become more harmonious. The taste was a bit fruity, with a slight aftertaste of nuttiness. The second infusion was mostly the same, but a bit nuttier overall, and with the fruity flavors starting to subside a bit.

My first ever experience with oolong tea. Used amount of 2 teaspoon, rinsed, and waited 4 minute for brewing. However for 1. steep there was a dominant grass taste and nothing else. Maybe it’s because of me since I’m new to this and can’t catch the notes.
2. steep has less vegetal taste but still couldn’t taste something special.

Flavors: Grass

TeaVivre

I’m so sorry that this Oolong tea didn’t meet your expectation.

Would you please advise me more details about your brewing method? Such as the temperature, the volume of the teapot?

Hope we can find a way to catch more notes from this tea.

Wish you a nice weekend!

dalaware

Western Brewing. 24oz water used in ~36 oz glass teapot with tea amount of 4 teaspoon. I’ll try different amount, temperature and I’ll update this tealog later.

I picked the most generic looking Tieguanyin to start me on my +15 guanyin journey.

I did a short rinse, and a first gongfu steep of about “how long it takes to open up a little and for the water to change colour.” The aroma is incredibly floral, like jasmine with a smudge of lilac. This carries over into the flavour profile, which is a buttery floral bouquet.

Second and third infusions are incredibly sweet, with a vegetal element. Just to show that my family doesn’t have a flower nose, my mom said this cup smelled like “rose, dandelion, sweet, orange blossom.” Name all the flowers and eventually one will be right. We can all agree it smells and tastes “beautiful” though.

Fourth and fifth infusions became increasingly mellow and smooth. The floral notes have taken on a backseat role and become more of a soft honeysuckle. The vegetal sweetness is front and center.

I had to cut this session here, which is too bad because this was slowly becoming more and more delicious.

Steep Count: 5

(2016 Harvest)

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Jasmine, Peas, Sweet

195 °F / 90 °C 3 tsp 4 OZ / 118 ML
tea-sipper

psst… I think you started with the best Tie Guan Yin. :D

CrowKettle

I suspect you may be right, but there are many more oolong samples to work through!

Very green and verdant with the beautiful characteristic taste of TGY – milky, nutty, leafy, sweet. I shared this with my mother who is completely unfamiliar with loose leaf teas, oolongs, or tea in general. She enjoyed it, which I mark as a big win since it is not like anything she knows she likes. I could drink this over and over again.

My nephew and I enjoyed the second Teavivre sample of this yesterday. He gave up after a few steeps. I think he liked yesterday’s tea better than today but for me this was the favorite yet. The third steep, in particular, was creamy and smooth and really yummy. Most of the steeps were quite short (5-10 seconds).

Flavors: Creamy, Floral, Spinach

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 8 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

I think I finally got the parameters right for this one. I used about 3.5g leaf in a 100mL gaiwan with 185f water. The smell of the dry leaves was so floral that I knew there had to be some way to get that in the flavor. This worked pretty well, with early steeps being intensely floral, and the flavor getting more nasal and “green” as I went. Like steeped out flower stems or something. I don’t know if this is what it would actually taste like, but the descriptor of chlorophyll came to mind.

Flavors: Floral, Green, Mineral

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Rasseru

I always get a chlorophyll idea in my head, and also how I imagine more darker chlorophyll to taste in some purple leaf oolong, a weird sharper note

Matu

To me it’s like a plant taste…but not floral or vegetal – just green. Like how I imagine it’d taste if I just started chewing on a green leaf. Maybe not as bitter as that would be, but a bit of a sharp flavor for sure.

My god, is this really Tie Guan Yin? I just brewed the 2015 Teavivre Tie Guan Yin and if you had asked me in a blind tasting, I would have sworn this was a Jin Xuan Oolong. The leaves are green, not darker roasted like traditional Tieguanyins I’ve tasted, and it smells super buttery and fresh like popcorn. (Update: I now realise after a bit more tea experience that this is what non-roasted Tieguanyins usually taste like.)

It’s also strange that this green oolong is brewed at 212˚F.

1st infusion: Beautiful, buttery, fragrant, clear.

2nd infusion: Still smells and tastes buttery, but subtle and a tad bitter.

3rd and 4th infusions: As the Chinese saying goes, 三道四道是精华。No bitterness this time, just a subtle floral butteriness.

Flavors: Butter, Popcorn

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 88 ML

This came in the Teavivre sample box. It’s the first Tie Guan Yin I’ve had that I liked. It does have a floral aspect, but it’s nothing cloying, and leans toward a light sweet pea. Has some vegetal notes. The Tie Guan Yins I had before tasted like they were on the darker end of the spectrum, but this one seems very green and fresh.