Taiwan Monkey Picked (Ma Liu Mie) Tie Guan Yin Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Floral, Green, Roasted nuts, Vegetal, Caramel, Dried Fruit, Fruity, Honey, Lemon, Meat, Smoke, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Wood, Baked Bread, Lemon Zest, Smooth, Roasted, Sour, Apple, Autumn Leaf Pile, Grain, Grass, Toasted Rice, Peach, Creamy, Nutty, Cream, Flowers
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “I let my cupboard get out of control. It’s great to have a lot of tea, but it isn’t great to have large amounts of really good tea that you can not ossicle drink while it is at its best. In...” Read full tasting note
  • “Yet another of my free samples from Teavivre… thanks so much for the opportunity to try all these teas! I really consider Teavivre to have greatly contributed to my tea education with all of their...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thankyou Angel and Teavivre for this generous sample! I used 1.5 teaspoons Colour: yellow/amber Dry leaf smell: overwhelmingly like spinach…..I was pretty worried at this point because I don’t like...” Read full tasting note
  • “Seriously, who could resist trying a tea with this clever name? My latest round of samples arrived yesterday. (Yeah!) I did not intend to break into them this soon, but they were there. Well you...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Origin: Lishan, Taizhong, Taiwan

Ingredients: Evenly and tightly rolled tea leaves

Taste: Baked Taste with a smoothly and soft flavor

Brew: 2-3 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: The substance in the tea helps to prevent the decaying of teeth and halting the plaque build-up and also reduce the growth of glucosyltransferase. Monkey Picked Tie Guanyin contains lots of vitamins. Vitamin A can prevent from scurvy; Vitamin B can help digestion; Vitamin C can enhance immunity; Vitamin E can resist aging. As the saying goes that rarity enhances value, you will benefit a lot from drinking a cup of it every day.

About Teavivre View company

This is amazing. I’m brewing it gong fu style, and each steep just gets sweeter and sweeter. The dry leaves are dusty and brittle, and rolled tightly into balls. When they soak into the water, they unfurl into large, rubbery leaves which have a typical sort of “oolong” scent to them. The flavor starts out roasty and a little nutty, and the third infusion is where it really starts to get going and the sweetness comes out. Fantastic. I’ll definitely order more of this!

Another of my free Oolong samples from Teavivre’s fall contest (thanks again Angel!). It always amazes me at how different tea’s can be within a “family” and this Oolong sample pack has just served to further highlight that for me.

Dry this monkey picked oolong is tightly rolled and has a very definitive vegetal scent to it. Underneath that are some darker roasted notes and a few floral (almost nectarine like) highlights; a vey interesting combination.

A quick rinse lead to my first steeping of 50 seconds; I tried 25 but it gave a very weak looking/smelling tea so I put the leaves back in for a bit (I might have under leafed this a bit… Oh well.) This gave me a light orange-gold liquor that had a very fragrant smell consisting of roasted peaches and cashews. The flavor, while soft and somewhat mild, was as distinctive as the aroma; the dark roasted notes came though first (though they didn’t give any bitterness to the brew) followed by some higher peachy floral notes and under it all was just a touch of the vegetal favors that where foreshadowed by the dry leaves. The mouth feel is rich and creamy and there is a slight after taste reminiscent of peaches left in my mouth. It all mixes for a surprisingly refreshing drink.

The second steeping of 1:30minutes gave me a gold liquor which had a slightly more subtle scent profile. The roasted notes were still there, as was the peach but there was a definite thread of warm honey warped throughout. Flavor wise there are more vegetal favors to this steeping; mixed with roasted notes it made for more of a hearty cup compared to other oolongs I’ve had in the past. There are still some peachy highlights to round out the flavor profile as well but they’re not as predominant, nor is the mouth feel as rich, though it is still creamy.

My third and last steeping was 2:30 minutes long, the color of the liquor lightened to a pale gold while the scent profile had also lightened considerably. There are almost no roasted notes mixed into the vegetal scents and the peachy notes from before were almost completely gone. As in the previous steepings, I found the flavor matched the scent profile; mild vegetal notes with just a touch of roasting on the back end of the sip. Every once and a while I would get a hit of peach but not often and the mouth feel was much lighter while still being somewhat creamy.

In the end, though it was a good oolong and the flavor profile was quite different, it’s not my favorite. The mix of roasted notes with peach and the vegetal favors just doesn’t work for me in the long run. That said I was brewing it at 93C rather then the recommended 100C so I will try it again after Christmas and see if that makes a difference (one way or another I’m getting a new kettle, my old one has got to go!)

200 °F / 93 °C

I got this as a sample from Teavivre. The dry leaves are tightly rolled medium and darker green little pearls. I didn’t pick up much roast-y aroma from the dry leaved, more vegetal to me. I did my first infusion and noticed a definite roasted aroma like roasted Hubbard squash. The infusion is a light yellow green in color and smells similar to the wet leaves but not as intense. The first sip is vegetal and slightly mineral to me with a sweet finish. As the tea cool I pick up more of the sweeter notes.

I drank this with a smorgasbord of Korean and Vietnamese food tonight, which was a nice pairing with the tea. Smell and taste reminds me of mineral/hot rock, which is something I always enjoy in oolong teas. It looks to be priced decently, so I’d probably order it again. Later steepings are bringing out some misc. herb-like notes.

This is my first Teavivre sample. It’s also the first oolong I’ve had recently that I didn’t over-leaf. Agree with the others, it does smell and taste like vegetables. Mmm… veggies.

An interesting tea. Baked, sweetness, with each successive steep providing a stronger and stronger honey flavor. Greener oolongs are still preferred, but I’ll definitely be keeping this around for when I want something different.

Dry Leaf: I get a roasted tea smell with a sweet grass.
Wet Leaf: I get some heat notes like a roasted or baked aroma with a sweet vegetal aroma.
Liquor: It was a reddish type of color.
Taste: There is a roasted or baked taste that comes to the top with a slight sweetness and a very gentle or soft buttery flavor in the background.
Overall Opinion: I enjoy Ti Guan Yin’s so no exceptions here. I give this a solid 90. This is a nice approachable tea you can enjoy just about anytime well at least to me.

I started my day with Anxi Hairy Crab Mao Xie Fujian oolong from Yunnan Sourcing, and I’m finishing with Taiwan Monkey Picked Tie Guan Yin oolong this afternoon from Teavivre. This came as a free sample with my order. Thank you, Teavivre. The anxi hairy crab is much like the morning. Quiet and still. Easy. The tie guan yin is more like the afternoon, bolder, a bit of smoke in the air. Upon opening the sealed envelope and smelling the dried, tightly rolled leaves, the leaves have a lightly roasted scent on top of the fresh green note. This tea is similar to the anxi hairy crab I had this morning. In that review, I said anxi hairy crab was like tie guan yin light. The first few infusions of this tie guan yin have the roasted note, giving it a slightly nutty, grainy flavor, but also still a green note and floral, as well. I prepared this in clay gong fu style with near boiling water with longer infusions starting at 30 seconds. Liquor is a beautiful yellow in glass cha hai. There is a touch of bitterness in the finish. I get no astringency. A nice lightly roasted tie guan yin.

Flavors: Floral, Green, Roasted nuts, Vegetal

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 3 g 2 OZ / 50 ML

This is a great value for money entry level Tie Guan Yin and one to buy for economical daily drinking. The overall flavour profile of the tea was baked and woody with a noticeable taste of dried fruit, a hint of lemon and sweet potato. The texture of the tea wasn’t overwhelmingly astrigent – it did feel like a typical TGY, but it’s also still rather smooth with the third and fourth steep having a more buttery mouthfeel.

My brewing method was gongfu style at boiling, starting off with 30 seconds and adding 5-10 seconds with each steeping, depending on my preference and how the tea responded to the previous infusion. 30 seconds, give or take, is ideal for the first steeping because these leaves do take time to “wake up” and grow. It’s also great when done western style too imo, for whenever you’re feeling too lazy.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Caramel, Dried Fruit, Fruity, Green, Honey, Lemon, Lemon Zest, Meat, Smoke, Smooth, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 125 ML

Not bad. The leaves had a slightly charred aroma to them after a rinse, but also sweet caramel and floral notes. The tea started off sweet and vegetal, with a bit of a floral finish that lasted well in my mouth. It’s quite possible I brewed it too hard or too hot, but it developed a bit of a sour note around the third steep that I was not a fan of. The remainder of this will likely go in my box of teas to drink grandpa style. My indifference towards this tea could be in part due to the fact that I’ve been drinking some really nice roasted, rolled oolongs lately, as I felt this one paled in comparison.

Flavors: Floral, Roasted, Sour, Sweet, Vegetal