Taiwan Monkey Picked (Ma Liu Mie) Tie Guan Yin Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Floral, Green, Roasted nuts, Vegetal, Caramel, Dried Fruit, Fruity, Honey, Lemon, Meat, Smoke, Sweet, Sweet Potatoes, Wood, Baked Bread, Lemon Zest, Smooth, Roasted, Sour, Apple, Autumn Leaf Pile, Grain, Grass, Toasted Rice, Peach, Creamy, Nutty, Cream, Flowers
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “I let my cupboard get out of control. It’s great to have a lot of tea, but it isn’t great to have large amounts of really good tea that you can not ossicle drink while it is at its best. In...” Read full tasting note
  • “Yet another of my free samples from Teavivre… thanks so much for the opportunity to try all these teas! I really consider Teavivre to have greatly contributed to my tea education with all of their...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thankyou Angel and Teavivre for this generous sample! I used 1.5 teaspoons Colour: yellow/amber Dry leaf smell: overwhelmingly like spinach…..I was pretty worried at this point because I don’t like...” Read full tasting note
  • “Seriously, who could resist trying a tea with this clever name? My latest round of samples arrived yesterday. (Yeah!) I did not intend to break into them this soon, but they were there. Well you...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Origin: Lishan, Taizhong, Taiwan

Ingredients: Evenly and tightly rolled tea leaves

Taste: Baked Taste with a smoothly and soft flavor

Brew: 2-3 teaspoons for 8oz of water. Brew at 212 ºF (100 ºC) for 1 to 3 minutes (exact time depends on your taste – a longer time will give the tea a stronger taste and color)

Health Benefits: The substance in the tea helps to prevent the decaying of teeth and halting the plaque build-up and also reduce the growth of glucosyltransferase. Monkey Picked Tie Guanyin contains lots of vitamins. Vitamin A can prevent from scurvy; Vitamin B can help digestion; Vitamin C can enhance immunity; Vitamin E can resist aging. As the saying goes that rarity enhances value, you will benefit a lot from drinking a cup of it every day.

About Teavivre View company

I hate saying this, but the first time I had a similar tea was in Teavana. I am proud to say I have never actually bought one ounce of their tea. I am still so VERY ANGRY over them taking away and buying SpecialTeas. I will always hold a grudge against them…ok, rant over.

This tea fits the bill, and I tend to recommend and sway those away from buying it from Teavana. It’s just a lovely Tie Guan Yin oolong. Gives me a lot of extra brews, lovely spring flower flavor, sauteed greens flavor. It’s been my go to for study breaks.

Surprise! This not your usual Tie Guan Yin. As opposed to it’s ususal fresh notes, this one is darker and fruitier.
I was getting honey and dried fruit notes, but would need to spend some more time with this one, as I have around 50g left.
I would recommend this to those who enjoy black teas.

My method:

Tea Tumbler 250 ml, 6g for 10/15/30/45… sec @ 90°C

Gaiwan 100 ml, 3,33g for 10/15/20/30… sec @ 95°C

Flavors: Dried fruit, Honey, Baked Bread

Flavors: Baked Bread, Dried Fruit, Honey

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

This is a light-roasted Tie Guan Yin. Strong metallic/mineral flavour and not super buttery, more on the fruity and floral side.

Not bad, but I prefer my Premium Tie Guan Yin / Premium Light Roasted TGY from Yunnan Sourcing over this one.

Sweet, roasty, yummy. I like roasted oolongs, but sometimes they get carried away with the roast. It’s nice when other flavors sneak through as they do in this tea. It must be a tieguanyin thing. I’ve only had one other roasted tieguanyin that I can remember and it was sweet too – but more floral sweet where as this one is fruity sweet.

Flavors: Fruity, Roasted, Sweet

190 °F / 87 °C 2 min, 0 sec 4 OZ / 118 ML

Thank you so much Angel for this free sample. I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to get to the review.

This is a nice, very lightly roasted oolong. The floral notes are still very present but not overwhelming, and just the right amount of roasty. Not quite sweet, but really flavorful. It lasted through several infusions Western Style.

I really enjoyed this.

TheTeaFairy

One of my favorite everyday green oolong

TheTeaFairy

Oops actually its not, lol thought it was Monkey King you were reviewing, was wondering why you were refering to roasted notes, lol

Thanks Teavivre for this free sample!

I steeped this following the brewing guide on the website. The only difference was that I’m using a 4 oz vessel rather than 3 oz. The sample was only 7g so I couldn’t add more to correct the ratio.

I really wanted to like this tea but I couldn’t get it to work for me. The flavor was a bit underwhelming, not really for me. Vegetal, a hint of floral, a really tiny hint of roasted flavor. Next time I’ll increase the steeping times to make up for the discrepancy in water/leaf ratio.

Flavors: Floral, Roasted, Vegetal

Boiling 7 g 4 OZ / 118 ML

I told my wife what was going on with my neck/shoulder and she came home from work to make me go to emerg. >.< In her defense, though, I probably would have asked her to take me to emerg when she came home at the regular time because nothing is taking the edge off. But the ER doctor said my spine is fine and neurologically I’m fine, so I just need to rest, keep heat on it, and he gave me an Rx for naproxen, which I keep around for my migraines anyway. So….reassuring that it isn’t anything serious, but frustrating because it hurts like hell.

Anyway, so because my wife panics when I’m hurt or sick, she’s home now and we can share a pot of tea, yay! She had the other Tie Guan Yin provided to us by Teavivre last night (she will review soon, I promise!), and it smelled so good that I requested this when we got home from the hospital.

It is so good. I’m not a fan of straight oolongs, but TeaVivre is making me a believer. It’s sweet and roasty and just plain delicious. It’s creamy and vegetal and perfect.

Cameron B.

Love this one! The Superfine Moderately-Roasted Dong Ding is yummy too. :)

When I was packing up, all in a whirlwind, before catching the plane here, I hectically grabbed a bunch of random Teavivre packets, aiming for the ones I figured I didn’t try yet. Turns out I already did try this one! But no complaints since it’s quite good anyway.

The scent of the dry leaf fools me into thinking that this is going to be monstrously vegetal but luckily isn’t. There’s a fresh floral, yet nutty creaminess here that makes this particular oolong a nice neutral one to grab when you’re not really sure what you want in an oolong at that moment. It’s like a balanced smörgåsbord of various notes.

DeliriumsFrogs

Oooh! Sounds really lovely!

Fjellrev

It totally is! Not sure if I’d buy it, but it makes for a nice relaxing cup.

This very lightly roasted Oolong , I love it. It is exquisite.

Dark green oolong with rolled leaves go for 5 minutes into aboiling water.
The wet leaves look terribly like spinach branchs.

With the taste everything changes. Here is a festival of flavours . Peach succeeds honey, puffed rice to nuts and warm bread… It has also floral notes , characteristic of Tieguanyin but I prefer them in this tea vs the high mountain Oolong tea because these notes are not isolated here.

The texture is also interesting : fluid, light yet creamy , mellow . I really really love this tea.

I cannot resist to reproduce here what Teavivre explains about the name of this tea :
" Legend has it that the cliff is too abrupt for people to pick the Oolong tea leaves. Therefore, monkey is trained to climb the cliff and help tea farmers pick the Oolong tea leaves. Another saying goes that tea farmers need to tie a rope around the waist during the process of picking, just like a monkey. Hence obtains its name"

Lovely tea that offers a very pale yellow liquid.

You can see pics of my session here :http://thevangeliste.wordpress.com/2014/11/29/taiwan-monkey-picked-ma-liu-mie-tie-guan-yin-oolong-tea-teavivre/

Cameron B.

I love this one! I’m becoming quite attached to these light-medium roast oolongs. :)

Ysaurella

it is absolutely a fantastic medium roasted Oolong

I last drank this last mid-November of 2014. This note is for educational purposes. Ratings won’t be deleted to keep the integrity of my first tasting note.

Method: gongfu session with a ceramic gaiwan. 5 second rinse. Steeping times: 25, 35, 45, 55, 65, 75, 100, 120.

The dry leaf and wet leaf aromas smell roasted and bitter, of sauteed dark greens. In contrast, the liquor aroma gives off strawberries.

The liquor has a golden yellow. Full-bodied. The effect feels heavy (as opposed to, say, Teavivre’s Da Yu Ling, which makes me feel energized). The first infusion has a silky and thick texture. The flavor notes are sweet like strawberries first first, then, later, like hard candy, which then becomes flower-like. There is a milk candy aftertaste that is persistent throughout the entire session.

The second infusion is similar overall but tastes more roasted and has notes of tart berries. Three and four: a floral sweetness, also just as tart, though. Five, six, and seven are even sweeter, a little less tart and more flower. Drying mouth. Finally, eight tastes mostly like the milk candy.

How this differs from last time: I stored this poorly. Oh heck, I really didn’t even “store” it. That accounts for the stronger tartness. Can’t really review the quality because of this.

Boiling 7 g 3 OZ / 88 ML
Flyawaybirdie

I think you might have meant mid November of another year, seeing as we’re in Aug of 2015…

KiwiDelight