Nonpareil Te Gong Huang Shan Mao Feng Green Tea

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Fruity, Grass, Sweet, Broth, Nutty, Creamy, Smooth, Thick, Chestnut, Floral, Green Beans, Mineral, Sugarcane, Butter, Vegetal, Dry Grass, Spinach, Oats, Sweet, warm grass, Coconut, Sugar, Vegetable Broth, Peas
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Another short tasting note for this sipdown, which people may or may not see with Steepster being so wacky! As I have said many times before, this is one of my favorite green teas. I’m not a big...” Read full tasting note
  • “I feel like such a newbie today. This is the last of the spring samples from Teavivre to review. I think this is the third year I have sampled this. I should know what I am doing. Apparently that...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown! I have no idea what the count on my tea collection is right now, & I’m not going to do the math today. Sil sent me 38, I got 4 from Verdant, & their bundle box is also en route, so...” Read full tasting note
  • “Smells very fresh, nutty, a little sweet and somewhat floral. When steeped the leaves become so green! This is the best green tea I have had the pleasure of sampling thus far. It was lighter than...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Origin: Shexian(歙县) County, Huanshan City, Anhui Province

Ingredients: Tea buds with pure leaves

Taste: High mountain tea has distinct fruity flavor with chestnut fragrance, tastes soft and smooth

Health Benefits: As the major component part, catechinic acid occupies 70% in tea polyphenol. It also takes an important role in effecting the tea’s quality. Catechinic acid provides benefits for immunity system in our bodies, as well as radiation resistance.

About Teavivre View company

Tea provided by Teavivre for review

I’ve been having a lot of good result’s with Teavivre’s steep guidelines. So I prepared this in my gaiwan at first, and tea mug later on.

My first through third steeps were very light and subtle. It had a refreshing, sweet, vegetal and slightly fruity aroma. (Unfortunately it was a type of vegetal flavour I don’t enjoy.)

And just to experiment, I also used my second sample to try it out western style. But really, I didn’t notice too much of a difference.

Overall, I couldn’t get into this tea. I tried, but there’s something about the vegetal aroma that displeases my palate. But aside from that, the other subtle flavours were pretty good. So I’m not a fan, but if you enjoy this sort of green tea it might be worth a try.

100ml gaiwan, 4g sample, 3 steeps (rinse,30s,1m,1m30s)

Thank you Angel for the sample!
So when I opened this and was inspecting the cute little leaves, my husband asked to smell them and remarked that the smell reminded him of licorice. I hadn’t picked up on it at first, but I think I might smell it just a tiny bit as well. Mostly this smells nutty and toasted to me.
The liquor looks extremely light to me. Almost like white wine. It kind of smells like dragonwell to me (forgive my limited green tea knowledge!). I also almost messed up the temp. on this one (165 instead of 185).
I am reeling. This is so amazing. No, really. I mentioned in one of my recent posts that my taste/smell has been off and I’m trying to recover, so these aren’t my most perfect posts, but this is dang good. I’m having trouble describing it, but it is light, roasty, and nutty. I think I’m in love with the nut notes that are coming through on the back end of the sip. Very excellent tea that I will continue to steep and enjoy the rest of tonight.

Woo! One of the stragglers from my birthday order since the others ship so quickly. I’m gonna try to cut down my reviews a bit from now on too.

I really enjoy this tea so I’m glad I purchased a good amount of it. It’s usually difficult for me to find green teas that are really strong, but the only reason I don’t like more delicate ones is because they don’t taste like this! Usually for me, lighter green teas just taste bland and grassy, and literally my least favorite flavor I can find in a straght tea is anything reminiscent of my lawn.

This however is really delicious because though it’s very delicate and not strong at all, it’s SUPER nutty and sweet and has no grassy flavor that I can taste. Definitely getting vegetables, but more like vegetables pan fried with butter than steamed or raw. It just has a very smooth and warm flavor and I absolutely adore nutty green teas so I’m in love. Really delicious and bound to become a staple!

I can really get into a Huangshan Maofeng. The last one sent from Teavivre was quite nice, and this one is even better. It’s very light and crisp, with a simple vegetal and nutty sweetness, a sparkling texture, and fresh aroma. The leaves are consistent and great quality, with fur, not too many blisters from pan-frying, and mainly bud material. They’re quite pretty. While the tea could probably use some depth that the later harvests’ leaves provide, it isn’t lacking much of anything else. It has been a great tea to have this summer for outside sessions, where it really cools me down. It’s simple and it’s good.

175 °F / 79 °C

Water: 8oz at 175 degrees

Leaves: bright green tea leaves

Steep: 1m,2m,3m

Aroma: grassy

Color: almost clear

Taste: I don’t know if it’s just me but so far w/ the green teas they’ve almost all smelled the same regardless of their type. This tea was okay I didn’t get much flavor at all i used started w/2tsp then 3tsp of tea but nothing really changed.

Just opened my order of this tea, freshly harvested at the end of March. Would have loved to get to this sooner, but there are so many fresh greens I’ve been working my way through!

The dry leaves of this tea has a faintly sweet, vegetal aroma and each steep of this pours almost clear. The flavor is light and sweet, with indistinct fruit notes and a bit of a fresh grassy finish. I love how the color of the leaves brighten over multiple infusions as they hydrate, and I enjoyed a good number of infusions of this lovely spring green. I think I will try my next infusion with more leaf and also try this one cold steeped overnight.

Flavors: Fruity, Grass, Sweet

4 g

Another rogue Teavivre sample included in a previous tea swap. This one was different from any other green tea I’ve had before. The leaves looked almost shiny/oily, and indeed when I was brewing the tea, I could see a bit of an oily looking sheen on top of the water. The leaves had a nutty aroma with a bit of grassiness, but really reminded me a bit of peanut butter. After the first brew, they smelled quite savory and brothy as well.

The tea had an intense nutty sweetness, more than in any other tea I have yet to experience. It had a moderately thick and brothy texture to it – I think this was a very savory tea, but the nuttiness provided enough sweetness for it to almost still be refreshing somehow. This is my first Mao Feng Green Tea – I’ll have to try out some more samples next year when fresh greens are coming out again.

Flavors: Broth, Nutty, Sweet

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Thanks for the sample kiwidelight!
4g, 100ml gaiwan, 176F
R/30/60/90 – except I didn’t follow this at all
20s – soft, smooth 30s, 60s – sweet, thick mouthfeel.
1minX3 – springy, creamy, light.

I enjoyed this !

Flavors: Creamy, Smooth, Thick

A free sample from Teavivre!

The dry leaves are a medium long and yellow-green. It’s a very clean and sweet and mineral brew. Notes of green bean, chestnut, and sugarcane with a slightly floral finish. As the leaves open up they become bright green and reveal nice budsets. A nice and refreshing green, mao fengs are my favorite.

Flavors: Chestnut, Floral, Green Beans, Mineral, Sugarcane

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

I wasn’t too impressed with this tea the first couple of times I tried it, finding it fairly bland and tasteless. All of the positive reviews baffled me so I figured it must be me…and it was! I have lately gotten into the habit of brewing green teas uncovered as many greens fare better that way. But this tea works much better with the lid on. I added enough leaves to cover the bottom of the gaiwan, poured in 175F water, and let it go for 2 minutes. This time, the tea was much better. Creamy spinach and green been flavors emerged along with a faint sweetness. Still a very light tea brew though. I may have to experiment with water temperature and brew times, but this is an enjoyable tea for sure.

Flavors: Dry Grass, Spinach, Vegetal