Anxi Monkey King (Ma Liu Mie) Tie Guan Yin Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Butter, Flowers, Grass, Honeysuckle, Floral, Fruity, Spices, Vegetal, Metallic, Sweet, Wood, Oak wood, Freshly Cut Grass, Peach, Potato, Cream, Hot hay, Creamy, Mineral, Toasty, Grapes, Nuts
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “I am so thankful for Teavivre’s review contest, I have won a 5 tea sampler pack and that makes me really happy this morning! So to honour them, I have decided to drink one of my favourite of...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks so so much to Teavivre for continuing to be awesome, for providing me with this tea to sample, and for sending a completely surprise free (!!!) gaiwan with my last pack of samples. I am, of...” Read full tasting note
  • “I thoroughly enjoyed this well balanced oolong courtesy of a sample sent to me by the thoughtful Dexter3657. This green oolong has a really nice soft, sweet blend of floral notes...” Read full tasting note
  • “What? I am the first to review this! I am not very good with my descriptions, so please forgive me. Thank you so much Teavivre for including this free sample in my order! I used 3 tsp of leaf for...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Origin: Anxi (安溪), Fujian Province, Taiwan

Ingredients: Evenly and tightly rolled tea leaves

Taste: after brewed, tastes smooth and brisk with sweet aftertaste and long-lasting fragrance

Health Benefits: Monkey-King Tie Guanyin contains lots of vitamins. Vitamin A can prevent from scurvy; Vitamin B can help digestion; Vitamin C can enhance immunity; Vitamin E can resist aging. As the saying goes that rarity enhances value, you will benefit a lot from drinking a cup of it every day.

About Teavivre View company

I want to tell you upfront that this is a truly special tea. Every once in a blue moon I feel the need to talk about the texture of a tea because it really stands out. This is one of those teas that I feel the need to hold on my tongue every time I take a sip. It has a wonderful silky mouthfeel that I don’t often encounter. I had to be really careful to remember to take notes on each steep, because last time I came across a tea like this I was distracted by the texture and managed to drink 4 complete steeps without taking a single note. Thankfully Angel at TeaVivre provided me with three samples, one I can write about and two I can get lost in.

The first steep of this tea immediately showed me how special it was. As I mentioned above it had a nice silky mouthfeel to it that just begs to be savored, although the flavor is slightly drying. I did notice that this particular Tie Guan Yin is not as floral as many others that I have had.

Make sure to check out the rest of my review on my blog:

This is simply a bouquet of buttery lilacs. It feels like such a luxury to have rich flowers like this on the verge of winter. I particularly enjoy the sweet, rich scent that the leaves and broth give off.

It’s too bad I put off drinking this one for so long. For whatever reason, I thought it was roasted. Good job for reading comprehension, Crowkettle!

I’ll add more insight to this note if anything interesting pops up in later steeps.

Steep Count: 2

Flavors: Butter, Flowers, Grass, Honeysuckle

Lexie Aleah

Yum I keep adding more wishlist items after reading your notes but I never seem to get to buying them.

CrowKettle

You’ll get there! I 100% recommend trying out Teavivre if you’re just getting into straight Chinese/Taiwanese teas; They have lots of incentives like a cheap free shipping threshold ($30), and sampler options (2 free ones when you reach free shipping)!

Evol Ving Ness

_ It feels like such a luxury to have rich flowers like this on the verge of winter._

Your writing intoxicates me.

I am so looking forward to comparing my perceptions of teas to your insights though I seem to be waffling a bit on oolongs these days and more drawn to my beloved blacks. Or maybe it is that slap across the face from the caffeine that I long for in the mornings.

gmathis

I’ll see that “reading comprehension” comment and raise you one: at first glance, I thought the tea name was Anxiety Monkey.

Evol Ving Ness

hahhaha, and oddly, some of us know exactly what you mean.

CrowKettle

gmathis, you brightened my day with that comment and the ensuing imagery! Now I’m going to always pictures stressed out monkeys when I drink “Iron Bodhisattva of Mercy” tea. XD

Evol, honestly, I can’t blame you for not being into oolongs right now. In my mind I know too that it’s really black tea season; I’m just stuck with a cupboard backlog of all my spring an summer oolongs!

First up today is monkey king Tie Guan Yin Oolong tea from teavivre, I started by brewing about 5 grams of this in a 90 ml yixing pot. I washed the leaves first and the aroma was intense to say the least.

I got floral, fruity notes, a bit of vegetal aromas from it. Brewing the first real steep at just under 200 , the aroma again just utterly popped out of the pots and I got a very clear light yellow liquor. The flavor mostly matched the aroma with just a hint of spiceyness as well. There was also a bit of lingering on the tongue. Which is normal for high quality Tie Guan Yin.

Second and third brewings were very similiar, though a tiny bit stronger as the leaves fully opened up and the pot forces the water to flow all around them. This is what makes the yixing so good with Tie Guan Yin.. you get that beautiful interaction. Im really a little surprised at how intense the feeling of spice on the tongue is with this.

This is a very good tie guan yin and is one of my favorites so far.

I highly recomend this for fans of light green oolongs.

Flavors: Floral, Fruity, Spices, Vegetal

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 90 ML

I suppose I can’t really rate this tea impartially because I didn’t heat the gaiwan and I used tap water for the first 2 infusions (apparently that works better for my partner when he brews tea) but the hard minerality of the water just ruined the tea for me.

Still, I could tell that it was a very buttery, divine-smelling oolong. The leaves were large and high-quality. It wasn’t quite as buttery as Teavivre’s 2015 regular Tie Guan Yin, but had more interesting complex notes besides the butter, and it was not bitter at all.

Will rate when I brew the second sachet properly (with filtered water).

Flavors: Butter

7 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

Smell is very “green” and floral, taste is pretty floral with some hints of nuttiness. After drinking it for awhile some very faint mineral notes come through. I’d consider getting this again during one of their sales.

After noticing the flavors listed with this tea’s description, I almost thought I was still on the page for the Qing Xiang Dong Ding that I just reviewed. I wouldn’t have described this one as nutty or bready. Creamier than other tieguanyins, yes. I suppose the creamy texture can easily lead one to think of a nutty flavor. Perhaps it would stand out more to me if I didn’t sample it in such close proximity to the Dong Ding which is super nutty bread supreme, lol.

The floral in this is sweeter, rather than sharp, relative to some others I’ve had. Not much else to say here. It’s a tasty cup of delicate floral with a hint of cream. :)

This is a very floral oolong. Other reviewers have mentioned buttery notes. I think it’s there but it’s quite subdued to me. Overall this is an excellent oolong and a quality Tie Guan Yin for the price.

I brewed this once in a 16oz Teavana Glass Perfect Tea Maker/Gravity Steeper with 3 tsp leaf and boiling water for two minutes after giving it a 10 second rinse. I think this would be much better brewed Asian style but this morning I am in something of a hurry and don’t have the time. There was a slight bitter note to the tea that I think would dissipate by a fourth steep or so.

Flavors: Floral

Boiling 2 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

I enjoy this a lot. I have tried it western style, and it was very intense that way. It was equal parts creamy and floral for the first western steep – next time I will do shorter infusions, it was almost too intense. It was creamier and sweeter and fruitier for the following two. I am enjoying it gongfu style today, practicing with my new gaiwan, and it is a lot more nuanced this way. Which isn’t surprising. It hopped between creamy and floral the first several steeps, and moved to primarily fruity/floral for the latter. I steeped it countless times and it retained flavor well. I could see this being an everyday staple, as it is pretty inexpensive for the quality.

Thank you to Angel at TeaVivre for this sample!

I have had a few different TGY. Several for me have ended up tasting bitter and not very pleasant to my taste buds. The few that I have gotten right have been wonderful. This tea immediately goes into the wonderful category. I have been sipping on this tea all afternoon with no hints of bitterness. It is sweet and floral. As the infusions go on I get a creamy texture and hints of peach. I have done about 7 or 8 infusions and this tea is still giving! Thanks again TeaVivre for so many wonderful offerings. This is another one that will stay on the wish list!

DeliriumsFrogs

Sounds so lovely!!

Backlog:

A lovely roasted Tie Guan Yin. The roasting process has changed the flavor profile – the floral and vegetal notes that I might normally experience with a Tie Guan Yin are more toasty and nutty now. This adds a really nice dimension to the sweetness of this tea.

Early infusions are creamy and sweet. As it was quite hot, I noticed the tea was on the crisp side, but as the tea cooled slightly, it became softer and creamier. Later infusions became smoother, and the roasty-toasty notes became enhanced. I noticed notes of charcoal and freshly roasted chestnuts. The last infusions that I enjoyed of this tea became a different tea entirely, with a cleaner taste and notes of fruit.

Here’s my full-length review of my adventure with this tea: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/12/28/anxi-monkey-king-ma-liu-mie-tie-guan-yin-oolong-tea-from-teavivre/