Lu Shan Yun Wu Green Tea

Green Tea
Green Tea Leaves
Nutty, Smooth, Sweet, Vegetal, Asparagus, Astringent, Bitter, Butter, Chestnut, Roasted, Salt, Soybean, Green Beans, Spinach, Toasted Rice, Peach, Tangy, Vegetables, Grass, Green, Seaweed, Soy sauce, Roasted nuts
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “All I can say is, wooooooooooooooow! I really enjoyed this tonight. We went to the Asian buffet and got take out. I had made two steeps of this before we left the house and poured it in my...” Read full tasting note
  • “I agree with the other reviews – this is good. What I really want to mention is this is the best example of why I love to use a clear glass vessel when I steep. The leaf is so interesting. It looks...” Read full tasting note
  • “Small, twisty dark green leaves with a nutty brewed aroma and pale green colour. Tastes sweet, and somewhat like spinach, green beans and nuts. Fresh and lively, sweet and nutty – very tasty and...” Read full tasting note
  • “It’s been a cold few days. Pups are very clingy heat leeches lately. :) THere’s nothing like a hot cup of tea on a cold day. It just warms you from the belly out. This is a particularly nice...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Origin: Lushan Mountain (庐山) in Jiangxi Porvince, China

Ingredients: Pure tea leaves

Taste: brisk and refreshing, heavy sweet flavor with light roasted chestnut fragrance. Has sweet aftertaste and long-lasting brisk fragrance in your mouth

Health Benefits: Just like all green teas, our Lu Shan Yun Wu Green Tea has high levels of antioxidants that reputedly help reduce the incidence of cancer, promote good skin tone and help reduce the affects of aging. Also containing vitamin C, fluoride and calcium, TeaVivre’s TaiPing HouKui also promotes healthy teeth and bones.

About Teavivre View company

This is a nice Chinese green—mildly savory and vegetal with a little nuttiness. I’m not sure I would pick this to order over some of the other similar Teavivre greens I’ve sampled, as it’s not super distinctive—but I’m not sure that I wouldn’t, either. It’s very mellow and drinkable. Thanks for the sample, Teavivre!

So, I’ve already had too much caffeine today, but the SO decided she wanted to try a green tea today and this is the one she chose. We couldn’t agree on this one from the get-go. She kept smelling things like rotisserie chicken and other dinner smells, I was getting roasted chestnuts more than anything else, which gave me high hopes for the flavor itself.

I followed Teavivre’s preparation recommendations for this one. She says it tastes like dinner. To me, it tastes like slightly bitter roastiness. Not getting the chestnut or nutty flavors the aroma had me expecting. Neither of us wants another cup at the moment, so I wait an hour to resteep.

The second steep is better, which leads me to believe I didn’t wash this quite long enough the first time around. Smooth in texture, lightly nutty in flavor and lightly vegetal. I guess I’m not used to the concept of the second steep being best applying to green tea. I now take the time to admire the very light golden liquor in my clear cha hai.

The third steep is also light and pleasant, and the leaves seem to have expanded nicely. I’m getting some buttery notes in this steep. Fourth steep is super light and what flavor is there is mostly buttery.

This tea taught me that it needs to be washed in order for me to enjoy it, and for longer than the recommended five seconds. It was a good learning experience, and I’ll finish up the rest of the sample, but I don’t think it’s quite up my alley enough to ever put in a full order of it.

Steep times:
20/30/45/60

Flavors: Asparagus, Bitter, Butter, Chestnut, Nutty, Roasted

185 °F / 85 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 85 ML

A huge thank you to Teavivre for the opportunity to win this tea along with 4 other spring greens in a giveaway!! I have received the teas after a long journey and am excited to get back into tea with some new ones in my cupboard. It’s been a while in a tea rut for me so maybe I’ll spring out of it now!

The dry leaves smell so yummy and vegetal, reminiscent of Laoshan green from Verdant to me, I wonder if it’s coincidence that Laoshan and Lu Shan sound similar haha :) the leaves are fine and slightly curled in appearance. Smellso so fresh! I steeped these Western style for 3 min with 175 degree water.

The steeped liquor smells richly nutty and vegetal, with a slight salted note. I want to say cashews, even though I have never eaten themy cuz of my peanut allergy lol.

As for the flavor, wow this is so rich and good! Very nutty, I’m not sure what kind of nuts but that is the main flavor, with a beany soy and vegetal greens note. The aftertaste is salty nuts and lingers for quite some time.

Overall, this is a very satisfying and rich tasting green tea. Not overly light in flavor, it has lots of body. Hopefully the caffeine doesn’t snack me too hard haha. Once again, thank you Teavivre and especially Angel for ensuring this tea arrived after a long journey :)

Flavors: Nutty, Salt, Soybean, Vegetal

TeaVivre

You’re welcome^^

This is an assertive green tea with a strong vegetal flavor and aroma. Notes I could detect included green bean, cooked spinach, toasted rice, and stewed vegetables. A chestnut or peanut like flavor is present too – especially if more leaf is used – along with a tiny bitterness at the end. This isn’t my favorite, but may be interesting to those who want a green tea that’s robust and less subtle.

Flavors: Green Beans, Spinach, Toasted Rice

175 °F / 79 °C 1 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

Small, wiry, dark green leaves. Primarily vegetal with spinach and green bean notes, but also nutty and roasty with a peach-like fruit sweetness. Not my favorite green tea from Teavivre, but nice nonetheless. I think this would be a good tea to drink with a meal.

Flavors: Green Beans, Nutty, Peach, Roasted, Spinach

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

An OMGsrsly sample.

This one is a pleasure to drink, with a decent second steep. It’s a nice accompaniment to my nothing day. I also lately discovered that Radiohead released a new album. It pairs well too. All I have to do is open this Haruki Murakami book (After Dark) sitting here and the day is set for disconnectedness. Wow.

This tea is nutty, vegetal, and then tangy-sweet, kind of like an unripe apricot or some lemon juice. I’m now going to move onto something more lively.

Flavors: Chestnut, Spinach, Tangy

I requested that this tea be swapped for another that I already owned when I was first offered the sample flight, all for which I’m grateful. Thank you, Angel!

Taken grandpa-style in a glass.

This tea fits the tone of mid/late-spring. I like the appearance of the dry leaf: short, dark green curls. The aroma of the dry leaf is buttery and savory, like a deeply steamed sencha. Of the wet leaf and the liquor, there are sweet notes of sugar snap peas and beans. The liquor is clear, pale green with a creamy texture. Flavorful, tastes briskly fresh, has sweetly vegetal notes, notably beany. Heavy feeling for a green tea.

This is the first time I’ve had a Lu Shan Yun Wu and it’s a good first experience. The heavy/buttery quality in green teas isn’t to my liking, but it’s not exactly repulsive. This is of good quality, one to enjoy every day.

175 °F / 79 °C 2 tsp 11 OZ / 325 ML

The 2014 harvest of this tea was MIND BLOWING – fantastic! I have been drinking from a half gallon to a gallon of green tea a day, every day, for the past six years and this was one of my all time favorites. It was a lovely, intense green with a rich, almost meaty complexity, with an amazing aroma – smooth and sweet.

That said, the 2015 and 2016 harvests have been disappointing. The Lu Shan Yun Wu from these last two harvests lacks depth and complexity of the former years, the color is not very green, and the only flavor I really get now is smoke. Kind of tastes like a Gunpowder tea in that regard.

Sadly, I cannot recommend the 2015/2016 versions of this tea. I am now going to Amazing Green Tea to get it, but it costs so much more there I cannot get very much.

170 °F / 76 °C 1 min, 15 sec 8 g 16 OZ / 473 ML

Another free sample from the ever generous Angel and teavivre. Spinach, green beans…..a little bitterness but a really nice cup.

Thank you for the samples!

an ok tea.

little pitcher method (grandpa style):

when I smell the leaves dry, they smell like veggies and pepper.

when I smell the leaves wet, the smell is intensified.

when I smell the brewed tea, it smells sweet and like veggies.

when I taste the brewed tea, it tastes sweet and like veggies.

the reason I give it a 50, is because it tastes too much like veggies and gets bitter fast.

I shall share the 2nd pack with a friend

many thanks to angel teavivre for this free sample :)

Flavors: Bitter, Sweet, Vegetables, Vegetal