Menghai Golden Buds Tribute Ripened Pu-erh Cake 2009

2 Images

From Teavivre

Origin: Man’en Village (曼恩村), Mengzhe, Menghai, Yunnan

Ingredients: Yunnan large leaf species

Taste: carries a typical strong aroma of ripened pu-erh, tastes mellow, smooth, thick with sweet aftertaste.

This Menghai Golden Buds Tribute Ripened Pu-erh Cake tea is made by Ding Lanxian, a descendant of Mabang people, who has over thirty years of experience in making tea. Using the tea leaf of Yunnan Large Leaf Species from Lantsang basin as material, the cake was properly fermented, carefully compressed after high temperature sterilization.

About Teavivre View company

119/365

I’m much more comfortable with ripe pu’erh these days, although it still seems to be something that goes in phases with me. I’ll drink a lot for a while, then none for ages, but I know I’ll usually come back to it at some point. This sample has been sitting in my cupboard for a while, in amongst some other Teavivre samples I’d also long since forgotten about. It deserves to see the light of day, let’s say!

In flavour terms, I don’t find this one to be particularly exceptional (although I’ve been spoilt a lot by teas from Dark Matter recently). It’s smooth and fairly creamy, with an underlying earthiness that prominent without being overbearing. A good shou, in my book, but nothing amazing. A flavour like this is generally what I’ve come to expect, although with varying levels of mud/earth. This one strikes a nice balance.

It’s not a shou I’d go out of my way to keep around, but it’s a pleasant addition to my drinking choices nevertheless.

When I first got this cake, I was new to pu-erh, didn’t really know how to brew it, and thought it tasted like dirt. Now that I’ve learned more about tea, I think it tastes like earth. Which is way different than dirt! This tea has a sort of spicy sweetness that comes on in later steeps, as well as a sort of fruity taste that I can’t really describe. I’m not sure this is a phenomenal tea objectively, but it got me into pu-erh, and I’ve grown to love it. It’s tasty, reliable, and forgiving to brew!

Tried this tea both yesterday and today. It’s much better today since it’s had a chance to air out a bit. I also rinsed it a lot more before drinking today than I did yesterday.

Somewhat smooth and earthy. I get what other people are saying here about camphor. Still more of a sheng lady, but this isn’t so bad.

This is almost a perfect ripe in my opinion, it just does not stop giving! 10 steeps in the liquor is still dark as night.

Flavors: Wet Wood

0 min, 15 sec 10 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

Water: 8oz

Leaves: large tea block

Steep: 3m

Aroma: Earthy

Color: dark reddish brown

Taste: This time i came across cake from of pu-erh, i tore off a piece hoping it wouldn’t be too much for a 8oz cup. With a rinse done i was ready to brew 3m for starters. This brew was bland with no bitterness at first then upon cooling i noticed a slight bitterness that faded in and out as i sipped on my cup. Not much of an after taste left but it had a bit of a cooling sensation at the back of my throat.Overall i don’t quite know how i feel about this particular pu-erh.

Boiling 2 min, 45 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

I have the day off from work today! Not only is that a great thing by itself, but it also means I can really concentrate on this new tea sample from Teavivre. Thanks, Angel!

When I opened the sample package, the “cake” had the expected matted, grassy, compost-like appearance. The aroma was strong, leather, and earthy, but there was also a sharp edge to it.

I steeped the entire sample package in 16 ounces of boiling water for eight minutes. It seemed like a long brewing time at that high temperature but I was game since I like strong robust teas.

The brewed color was a muddy brown. The odor was, surprisingly, much milder than the unbrewed smell. It was undeniably Pu-erh, but not unpleasant.

My first sip was loaded with the unmistakable Pu-erh taste that I’m accustomed to and actually like. It was deeply earthy and leathery. This selection also had a slightly sweet attribute that I found quite enjoyable. The whole concoction was very smooth. Each swallow streamed gently down my throat with delightful bliss. No astringency appeared on my taste buds and the aftertaste was equally sweet and pleasing.

In summary, this is a very nice Pu-erh from Teavivre. It’s not the strongest one I have encountered (even after brewing at 212 degrees for eight minutes) but it is among the sweetest and most satisfying that I have experienced. Great flavor with no face-scrunching bitterness.

Flavors: Compost, Earth, Leather, Sweet

Boiling 8 min or more 2 tsp 16 OZ / 473 ML

Thank You Angel at Teavivre for this sample. This tea was very good. It was sweet in nature and had very little fermentation flavor. It had almost completely cleared as far as fermentation goes. I think I could describe the sweet notes to this tea as dates or plums what have you. This is one I will look into buying a cake of.

I steeped this eight times in a 220 ml gaiwan with 9.5g leaf and boiling water. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, and 2 min. The tea was by no means played out there was plenty left to it but I had had enough caffeine.

Flavors: Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 9 g 7 OZ / 220 ML

I drank this again last night and this morning. I must say I think I have to order it while they are having their sale.

I am finding that I taste so much more in my puerh teas when I let them cool a bit. When they are hot, they are so similar but as they cool I detect more flavors and more delicate nuances. This one developed the wonderful cedar oil flavor that I adored in Mengku Palace Ripened Golden Buds, which is no longer available but was my favorite puerh of all time. Perhaps the elusive flavor is coming from the golden buds.

This is a small beeng which I think is really nice. It makes the price very similar to the one I bought myself for Christmas, which was double the price but also much heavier.
I plan to get this one, the rice-ripened (which I loved and wish came as plain loose leaf and not just as bags!), lots of the plain tuocha, and maybe some rose or chrysanthemum! I think I have until the 20th to decide what to buy on their sale!

Thank you Teavivre for sending this sample my way!

I was in the mood for some shu this afternoon and hopefully this caffeine will not keep me awake later… instructions say to brew this at 212 F for 3 to 10 minutes? That seemed like a lot to me.

I decided to dump my whole sample in a little yixing and I have been doing steeps for 30 seconds. This is a very nice shu, has pleasant flavors of coffee, cocoa and a fruitiness like dates. This is a very clean tasting tea, without any musty flavors or odors that would signify a bad tea. The reviews on Teavivre’s web site, a couple of people had different opinions and remarked on the fermentation flavor and a mustiness but I didn’t pick this up.

Lately I’ve been wondering about shu pu’erh as it’s fermented with bacterias which might be good (like probiotics) but also aspergillus niger which is a fungus/mold and one I might be allergic to. Right now I don’t notice any bad effects from drinking shu and I know it is supposed to be healthy… so I will keep drinking it anyway.

This is a very good tea. I would definitely consider buying a cake of it for drinking now.

Boiling 0 min, 30 sec 1 tsp 4 OZ / 118 ML

From the Unflavored TTB.

No yixing teapot of my own, so ceramic it is! 5 second rinse. Steeping times: 10, 10, 15, 20, 30, 45, 60, 120.

I’m inexperienced with shu pu-erh. So what did I get? Mostly EARTH. All around. The wet leaf aroma, however, also contained gentle notes of plums and grapes. Such a lovely combination! I kept sticking my nose into the bowl.

At first the color of the liquor was copper, which then deepened to dark orange. The intensity of the flavor throughout the session was basically shaped like a percentile graph. The first infusion was light-bodied and a little astringent, and the earth was muted. The second and third infusions were more developed: full-bodied, flavorful with coffee and bitter notes. These notes in subsequent infusions became softer, and inevitably weakened.

I like this. I wish I were more experienced to get more than just earth and coffee. Also, I think I prefer shu to sheng (is that weird?). Mostly for the taste, but especially for the effect. As soon as I finished the first infusion I felt as if this tea were giving me a hug. And then halfway through the session I felt serene yet energetic. Every time I heard the water boil for the next infusion I ran to the sauce pan like a puppy.

“Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee I like teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeea”

Boiling 10 g 3 OZ / 88 ML