Nonpareil Yunnan Dian Hong Ancient Wild Tree Black Tea

Black Tea Leaves
Maple Syrup, Toast, Wheat, Pancake Syrup, Sweet, Baked Bread, Rye, Yeast, Earth, Apple, Apricot, Astringent, Cinnamon, Flowers, Grapes, Hops, Peach, Potato, Rice, Vanilla, Wood, Chocolate, Floral, Fruity, Honey, Honeydew, Malt, Stonefruits
Bulk, Loose Leaf
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre
195 °F / 90 °C 3 min, 45 sec 5 g 67 oz / 1984 ml

• “As soon as I opened the sample, I was hit with a strong smell of sweet hay from the leaves. The tea has a very pleasing aroma, but not as strong as the leaves. The texture of the tea is amazingly...” Read full tasting note
  • “We are back from the beach! Hooray! It is good to go but oh so good to get back! I missed my tea things so I wanted to have gong fu service tonight. We were having oound cake with strawberries and...” Read full tasting note
  • “I was ecstatic to discover this unused tea sample while I was taking inventory of my tea cabinet! I’ll never know how I missed it before since I am a big fan of Teavivre black teas and usually...” Read full tasting note
  • “Current Session I swear I’m drinking homemade rye bread. Very yeasty and malty. Going to make this last after this session by grandpa styling it for the rest of the day until it’s no more.” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Origin Place: Xiaowan & Pinghe, Fengqing County, Yunnan
Dry Tea: tight and wiry with plenty tips, even shape, dark and smooth.
Tea Liquid: bright in orange yellow color.
Flavor: strong floral fragrance, tastes mellow, rich and full with strong sweet aftertaste.
Tea Leaf: after brewed, the tea leaf is complete and glossy.
This Ancient Wild Tree black tea comes from Fengqing, Yunnan. The tea garden is at 2000 meters high, is renowned as a good place of growing good tea.
The local tea tree is Fengqing large leaf species, can produce thick tea leaf. Our Ancient Wild Tree black tea then has large, strong leaves. The dry tea is glossy and dark, covered with thin pekoes. Its full aroma and bold taste can be revealed when brewed, as well as the particular strong taste which brings a characteristic of raw pu-erh to this black tea.
Yunnan Province has an abundant resource of wild tea trees, some of which have been lived for over a thousand years. These trees are protected and regarded as treasures to live to this day.
Wild tea trees are often used for making pu-erh tea and black tea. For making black tea, the result product can have a very distinct combined feature of Yunnan’s black tea and Yunnan’s pu-erh. Just as the name indicates, this black tea is made of the leaves from ancient wild tea tree. Being processed in the traditional way of crafting Dian Hong tea, this wild tree black tea has been given a unique charm of being bold but delicate.

About Teavivre View company

As soon as I opened the sample, I was hit with a strong smell of sweet hay from the leaves. The tea has a very pleasing aroma, but not as strong as the leaves. The texture of the tea is amazingly light, it takes a second or two for the flavor to hit after a sip, gradually growing. It is sweet with flavors of wheat toast and maple syrup. This tea is complex and tasty, definitely a winner.

Flavors: Maple Syrup, Toast, Wheat

205 °F / 96 °C 5 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

I missed my tea things so I wanted to have gong fu service tonight. We were having oound cake with strawberries and whipped cream, so that cries out for black tea to me. This is one of the very few black teas that my husband likes without milk and sugar.

The first steep was so silky, and the aroma was honeyed. It is rather light in color for a black tea but has plenty of flavor. At times it tasted rather savory, while having sweet and coppery aroma.

Subsequent steeps were much the same, but there were fleeting changes. Around steep four, there was a nice burnt sugar taste and the briskness increased a little. Perhaps I steeped it longer but it was really delightful that way. A steep or two later and it was suddenly very floral. Then at the very end, the lingering aftertaste has a touch of orange peel notes – a slightly bitter or brisk citrus. It still has a creamy body and this must be about the tenth or eleventh steep. The flavor really lingers.

I don’t know if I am tired from the packing up and trip home and unpacking, or if this has tons of GABA, but I am mellow, peaceful, and sleepy. Time to sit in my rocker and read Good Omens!

I have made this western style and it really wasn’t nearly as good, so this one is reserved for gong fu.

tea-sipper

I’m trying to read Good Omens soon too..it’s on the giant LIST.. and avoiding everything about the TV series as much as possible before I read it. Don’t want to ruin the images I have while reading…

ashmanra

I am about halfway through, tea-sipper! My daughter is really after me because she wants to go ahead and watch it, but she is waiting for me!

I was ecstatic to discover this unused tea sample while I was taking inventory of my tea cabinet! I’ll never know how I missed it before since I am a big fan of Teavivre black teas and usually start drinking them as soon as I pull them out of my mailbox. Maybe the tea fairy brought it to me. It doesn’t matter. I am just thrilled that I found it!

When I opened the small silver package, I was greeted with dark brown twisted and glossy leaves. The aroma was slightly sweet and earthy.

I steeped the leaves for about 5 minutes at 190 degrees. The brewed liquor was a light golden orange. The odor was like sweet wheat.

Beginning with the first sip and ending with the last, the flavor was consistently mild and smooth yet full and complete. The taste reminded me of pancakes lightly slathered with maple syrup. The sweet flavor was delicately balanced and not overpowering. The aftertaste was also mild and did not wear out its welcome. There was no astringency whatsoever.

This is simply another fantastic black tea from the folks at Teavivre. It is one of those exceptional selections that seem to get even better after the first steeping. The maple syrup/pancakes flavor attributes make this offering perfect (in my mind) for breakfast. However, I wouldn’t turn this one down at midnight either.

Flavors: Pancake Syrup, Sweet

TeaVivre

This is my favorite black tea and I do appreciate its wonderful taste and fragrance!

Stoo

Hi Angel! This is definitely a great black tea! I was amazed that the flavor was still bold and smooth after the fourth steeping!

TeaVivre

Because it used the Ancient Wild Tree as raw material, so it can endure multiple tasty infusions!

Stoo

That’s good to know! I’ll keep it in mind when I drink Ancient Wild Tree tea in the future! Thanks!

TeaVivre

haha, enjoy your tea time!

Current Session

Flavors: Baked Bread, Rye, Yeast

S.G. Sanders

Fjellrev Yes, very nice!

A sample from Teavivre. The first thing I noticed about this one, other than it’s long, thick, twisty leaves, was how light it is. Even after 3-4 minutes, it’s still a medium golden brown. Most of the Yunnan/Dian Hongs I’ve tried have been similar, but still usually darker (at least on first steep) than this one gets. It’s actually quite refreshing, because there’s none of that black tea “heaviness”, and (of course) no bitterness or astringency. There’s no impact on the flavour, either – that’s still full and surprisingly fruity.

I was expecting bread/chocolate, but this one’s a little different. I’m getting mostly stone fruit flavours – apricot, maybe a touch of plum. There’s also a mild earthiness that reminds me a little bit of ripe pu’erh, but it’s by no means overpowering. Subsequent steeps have a little breadiness in the mid-sip, and a touch of honey towards the end of the sip, but the main flavour for me is the fruit. It’s light and juicy, perfectly smooth, and just right for a warm summer afternoon. Another win from Teavivre!

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp
TeaVivre

Lots of my teavivre colleagues enjoy this tea quite much, including me!

Good flavour and sweetness.

Reviewing a sample of this graciously provided to me! Dry leaf is very small pieces, with a warm chocolate and fruit scent. Wet leaf has the usual black tea smell to me, and the tea brews up dark quite quickly.

First steep is really quite good—definitely much better than other Dian Hong I’ve tried. I’m not an expert on black tea, but I’m enjoying the overall light profile, with a little bit of play in the high notes with a fruitiness and tanginess in the back of the throat, and overall low “burnt-ness” that I usually get with black teas.

Second steep is much more viscous and bready, and flavor wise is much more like I would expect. There is a definite high note here of fruit, and overall I find this to be quite an easy tea to drink. Very full in the mouth and heavy in its low notes.

Overall quite an enjoyable black tea! I find its overall mouthfeel to be quite heavy with a hint of fruitiness to keep it from being just heavy.

Wow, this is a very different-tasting black tea (to me).

Up until now I’ve mostly drank Assams and a few black Chinese teas – nothing too crazy, usually quite smooth and subtle. This is a lovely surprise.

It is certainly smooth and with very low bitterness and astringency, but you can taste a wild earthy note in it immediately. I actually really like this. It is also a lovely amber colour, which adds to the “I am drinking tea leaves from a wild tree” feeling, so to speak :)

It doesn’t replace a good Assam as my favourite, but I can definitely see myself fancying a cup of this over something else from time-to-time.

Flavors: Earth

This is a little bit sweet but mostly earthy. It’s just not for me.

I’ve played with 4 different orchestras over the last month (4 different programs as well). This weekend marks the 5th orchestra. We’re playing The Nutcracker.

Here’s my favorite link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk5Uturacx8&t=482s
I love this rendition, because everyone is so animated, they all play so well, and the Conductor is so awesome and uninhibited. :)
Note: the above link is NOT the orchestra I’m playing with!

Anyway, I’m taking break from practicing to enjoy multiple steepings of this tea.

Sweet stone fruits, honey, hops, bee pollen, and a little eucalyptus. It’s very sweet. The energy of it reminds me of a Sheng, and the mouthfeel is smooth, thick, & tangy like grapes. The aroma is rich & fruity, and lingers in my sinuses like a primo incense.

Very satisfying! Something about this tea reminds me of those alcohol drenched fruitcakes my mom used to make during the HoliDaze (back in the 60’s). They were loaded with dried fruits, soaked in Brandy, and then allowed to ‘cure’ for a few weeks.

gmathis

This is your busy season, isn’t it?

tea-sipper

Yum, this is one of my favorite teas. :D

Terri HarpLady

@Gg, it is definitely one of my busy seasons, and the action will be practically non-stop until xmas day! Which is good for my bank account :)

Terri HarpLady