Zheng Wei Tie Guan Yin Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Butter, Floral, Mineral, Mint, Orchid, Rhubarb, Strawberry, Violet, Flowers, Creamy, Cut grass, Gardenias, Sweet
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “This super floral tea has soft notes of lilac, violet, orchid, and other sweet and mild flowers. Second steep has an aftertaste of mint that I quite enjoy. A tart note crept into the third steep;...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea is a light oolong that is yellow in color and has a floral aroma. It tastes light, sweet, and has the flavor of flowers. If you like flowery TGYs you will probable like this tea.” Read full tasting note
  • “I am so behind on tea reviews! Honestly, all of my time has either been spent at the office, or out playing Pokemon Go with my husband and friends. We’ve worn blisters on our feet and every muscle...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thank you for the samples Angel at Teavivre! This was an incredibly smooth cuppa. It was fairly green with lots of vegetal and buttery notes. It is very floral but not cloying or soapy in any way....” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Producing area: Anxi, Quanzhou, Fujian

Dry tea: curled, bold, sand green Aroma: light flowery fragrance

Liquid: clear, light yellowish

Mouthfeel: light sweet, smooth and soft

Tree species: Tie guan yin tea plant

Tea garden: An Shan high mountain ecological tea garden

Zheng Wei Tie Guan Yin oolong tea has classic flower fragrance, without grassy notes, so it is suitable for those who are in fond of flower flavor.

About Teavivre View company

This super floral tea has soft notes of lilac, violet, orchid, and other sweet and mild flowers. Second steep has an aftertaste of mint that I quite enjoy. A tart note crept into the third steep; it has a “fresh” tang that makes me think of rhubarb, with maybe a hint of strawberry. As the cup cools the tart not fades and notes of butter and cream creep in.

Side note to self: don’t start a gongfu session at 10PM. It’s a waste of good tea. Things were just starting to get good too.

Steep Count: 4

(2016 Fall Harvest)

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Mineral, Mint, Orchid, Rhubarb, Strawberry, Violet

205 °F / 96 °C 5 tsp 4 OZ / 118 ML
tea-sipper

Love this tea.

CrowKettle

Teavivre “guanyin” 2/14, and I think I’ve already sampled the good stuff. :)

Flavors: Flowers

205 °F / 96 °C 4 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

I am so behind on tea reviews! Honestly, all of my time has either been spent at the office, or out playing Pokemon Go with my husband and friends. We’ve worn blisters on our feet and every muscle in our legs is sore. We literally climbed a mountain yesterday to get to Pokemon at the summit. I’m going to look like a goddess by the time we finally catch them all!

Anyway, I think I’ve said it before, but Teavivre changed the way I see oolong. Their stuff is truly great. This tea is another very tasty example. The dry leaf smells sweet and fresh, with notes of springlike grass and vegetables. The little green nuggets hang out at the surface of the water before absorbing it and sinking to the bottom. Steeped, they are long and almost all whole.

The water comes out to a light yellowy tan, sort of like straw. There is that distinct oolong pungency in the aroma, but I know it will be more in the smell than the taste. After five minutes, the flavor is light but complex. I get sweet notes of flowers, grass, and a garden right after it rains. It’s very satisfying and light, with a tiny hint of creaminess. The floral taste reminds me of gardenias, but it’s subtle. Basically, this is something that would really cheer me up in the winter when I was missing spring.

Flavors: Creamy, Cut grass, Floral, Gardenias, Sweet

Thank you for the samples Angel at Teavivre!
It is delicious of course.
The resteeps are possibly even more enjoyable than the first cuppa

TeaVivre

I’m so impressed about its floral fragrance in each steep.

Sipdown! I had one more packet left from Teavivre (thank you for the sample!) and passed it down to a friend. Hope she’ll enjoy it too. I wouldn’t personally buy this one but it was a refreshing, green oolong.

Unlike some of the other oolongs I’ve sampled from TeaVivre in the past, this tea has a more monotone flavor, tasting mostly of fresh picked flowers. It lacks the depth some of their other offerings have and I find myself missing the notes of hay, vanilla, and sweet fruit that some of my favorites, such as their Anxi Monkey King Tie Guan Yin, bring to the table. While this classic style of Tie Guan Yin isn’t as flavorful, it does have a fabulously smooth, almost butter mouthfeel and slight sweetness that I’ve found quite addictive. This tends to dissipate slightly with each resteeping of the leaves, but the faintest hints are still noticeable, even after the sixth steeping. The fact that this tea can be steeped so many times alone will insure that I’ll order it again, it’s a great choice when economy is something to consider, although I will admit it’s not my favorite of the Tie Guan Yin teas that TeaVivre has to offer.

You can read my full review on my blog:

Thank you to Angel at Teavivre for this delicious tea! Strangely, I’m blanking on how it actually tasted (probably because I drank it unthinkingly, and have had other oolongs recently too), but I do know it was good. I’ll try to finish off the rest of the packet soon and follow up with a better note at that time.

I liked this better than Teavivre’s Nonpareil TGY. It has the classic TGY flavor profile but mellower and not over the top floral. Just a nice, smooth orchid/violet flavor. It’s a little one-dimensional to me but still a nice every once in a while tea.

Flavors: Orchid, Violet

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 3 OZ / 80 ML

Angel from Teavivre had sent me several samples again. Thank you so much Angel. I need to post more frequently here. I still drink a lot of tea. I just don’t post as often if ever.

Me being an oolong fan, this one did not disappoint. Zheng Wei Tie Guan Yin Oolong Tea is very delicious. The dry leaf was a mix of light to dark green leaves curled up fairly loose with some trace fuzziness to some of the leaves. The smell was very fresh, mild-moderately fragrant – floral. The scent of the steeped tea was delicious and beautifully fragrant when I get about 2 inches away. The tea was a very light yellow. The taste was delicious – yum! The first steep was very smooth, creamy, and had a buttery mouth-feel to it. The taste was slightly sweet with hints of flowers, honey, and very mild grassiness.

This is a complex oolong and changed with each steep. The 2nd steep became less sweet and a bit astringent toward the back of my mouth and a kind of dryness. The 3rd steep was more watery but I don’t think I steeped it long enough. I only did 3 steeps of this tea as I become distracted very easily. I love how tea keeps me centered and focused (for the most part!). My daughter turned 3 a few days ago. I can’t believe I’ve been on steepster for longer than that. Times flies super fast.

Flavors: Butter, Creamy, Floral

Another of my samples from Teavivre. Has a nice floral, orchid scent. There is a somewhat creamy/ buttery flavour. Still floral and lightly sweet. It’s very smooth too.

Flavors: Creamy, Floral, Orchid