Fengqing Golden Buds Ripened Pu-erh Cake 2013

Pu-erh Tea
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by looseTman

• “My neighbor texted tonight asking if I wanted to walk a bit because she was feeling overly full after supper. I had just finished eating and didn’t feel that it was good timing for a walk, but I...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks for the samples, wonderful people at Teavivre! It’s always great to receive samples that I know I’ll love. I’m in love with this ripe pu-erh! I used most of the sample, probably seven...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Producing area: Fengqing, Lincang, Yunnan Tea type:Pu-erh Picking time:March, 2013 Production Date:April 8, 2015 Net wt: 357 g Dry tea: Round compressed cake shape, with evenly distributed golden buds visible on the surface. Aroma: Aged wood scent Liquor color: Bright deep red Mouthfeel: Mild flavor and mellow taste with sweet aftertaste Production Year: 2013 Species: Fengqing large leaf tree Tree age: 100 – 200 years old Tea Gardens: Lida, Dasi, Fengshan tea garden, etc. Caffeine Scale: Low Storage: Keep this tea in an airtight container away from high temperature, sunlight, moisture and abnormal taste. Shelf Life: This tea can be preserved for a long period in good storage conditions.

Description
This compressed tea cake is made from fine leaves picked in early spring of 2013 from Fengqing, Yunnan. It is exquisitely made with fine leaves adopting pile-fermentation method and has glossy brown surface and golden tips visible on the top and bottom of the tea cake body. It yields bright deep red liquor with soft and smooth mouthfeel and mellow taste. Since it is harvested in early spring days, this tea is high in phytochemicals which helps digestion and remove greasy feeling.

About Teavivre View company

My neighbor texted tonight asking if I wanted to walk a bit because she was feeling overly full after supper. I had just finished eating and didn’t feel that it was good timing for a walk, but I waited until she had time to go around the block and texted again and asked if she wanted to join me for tea. She said yes!

Naturally, we had puerh. She has lived all over the world and is very food-adventurous, and she liked it a lot. Best of all, she said that while the walk hadn’t seemed to help, the tea did. She no longer felt stuffed.

The scent of this one was not as nice as some of their other offerings at the start, but the taste was good. It is perhaps not as complex yet as I would like. I will keep aging it and try it again. My neighbor enjoyed the aftertaste and even as she was leaving said she liked how the flavor was still lingering. She felt it “tasted like tea” but had more body. I don’t think it tastes like generic black tea but it does not have the powerful horse barn or cedar taste that I love. That could be simply the way we made it, and I might play with my steeping parameters a bit. I did go light on it since she had never had puerh before,

Since it is late, we didn’t try matcha, but since she was interested in it, I got out several tins of mine so she could see the difference in color and sniff the difference in aroma. When she got to the Harney and Sons mid-grade, she said, “Oh, that smells green!” When she got to the Harney and Sons best grade, she said, “Oh my gosh, that one would be addictive!”

“Congratulations!”, I told her. “You have managed to pick the most expensive one as your favorite!”

We now have an appointment to introduce her to the taste of matcha later this week! Another tea convert in the making…

wooohoo!

Evol Ving Ness

ashmanra, you are dangerous.

ashmanra

Heh heh heh!

Thanks for the samples, wonderful people at Teavivre! It’s always great to receive samples that I know I’ll love. I’m in love with this ripe pu-erh! I used most of the sample, probably seven grams for a full mug (Teavivre suggests five grams). The cake looks lovely with golden leaves threaded through the dark leaves. The flavor is absolutely lovely — all steeps are so smooth and sweet but with a great depth of flavor, but tough to describe specific flavor notes. No offending pu-erh flavors here. The scent of the dry leaves has the scent of hay. This ripe pu-erh is quality delicious. The color of each mug is deep burgundy red. Sitting outside with the mug on a cool day as the cup cools gives the flavor more of a bready biscuit flavor that I just love, with just hints of cocoa. Biscuit bready pu-erh might be my favorites. I don’t think this is a pu-erh that increases my appetite, so I like this pu-erh for that too. I should have steeped these leaves many more times — the flavor would have continued being perfect. I’m not sure if I use too many leaves of ripened pu-erh, but they are impossible to overleaf and I think I prefer the flavor that way anyway. I’d love to buy a cake of this.
Steep #1 // around 7 grams for a full mug// 18 minutes after boiling // rinse // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 minute steep