Fengqing Golden Buds Ripened Pu-erh Cake 2013

Pu-erh Tea
Organic
Edit tea info Last updated by looseTman

• “Review title: THE DOG MADE ME DO IT or “Why I Am Drinking Puerh At Nearly Midnight?” Hubby and I have meant to get back to doing yoga together. I suggested we really make an appointment in the...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks for the samples, wonderful people at Teavivre! It’s always great to receive samples that I know I’ll love. I’m in love with this ripe pu-erh! I used most of the sample, probably seven...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Producing area: Fengqing, Lincang, Yunnan Tea type:Pu-erh Picking time:March, 2013 Production Date:April 8, 2015 Net wt: 357 g Dry tea: Round compressed cake shape, with evenly distributed golden buds visible on the surface. Aroma: Aged wood scent Liquor color: Bright deep red Mouthfeel: Mild flavor and mellow taste with sweet aftertaste Production Year: 2013 Species: Fengqing large leaf tree Tree age: 100 – 200 years old Tea Gardens: Lida, Dasi, Fengshan tea garden, etc. Caffeine Scale: Low Storage: Keep this tea in an airtight container away from high temperature, sunlight, moisture and abnormal taste. Shelf Life: This tea can be preserved for a long period in good storage conditions.

Description
This compressed tea cake is made from fine leaves picked in early spring of 2013 from Fengqing, Yunnan. It is exquisitely made with fine leaves adopting pile-fermentation method and has glossy brown surface and golden tips visible on the top and bottom of the tea cake body. It yields bright deep red liquor with soft and smooth mouthfeel and mellow taste. Since it is harvested in early spring days, this tea is high in phytochemicals which helps digestion and remove greasy feeling.

About Teavivre View company

Hubby and I have meant to get back to doing yoga together. I suggested we really make an appointment in the evenings so we will be motivated to do it. He agreed.

Tonight is a beautiful night. The sky is clear and the stars are so bright. There is a very light breeze and it is warm for late February, highs around 80F, but that isn’t unusual here. I suggested that we do yoga in the backyard instead of the living room.

When I went out after changing into my stretchy clothes, hubby had hung a candle lantern and spread quilts for us. I brought out my iPad and played Spa Suite on Pandora. And it was so lovely. Then….I notice the dog.

Sam had come out with us as he loves to be near when we do yoga, but when I looked up from downward dog, I saw his squatty position over near the chicken pen and told hubby, “Mark that spot in your mind.” Apparently, it was a very fulfilling poo because he then began to kick the dirt with his back legs with great energy, showering my arms and wrists with damp soil. (It has been very foggy off and on and the soil is a bit wet in spots.). Mmmm. The smell of geosmin! So even though I had just finished my glass of lavender water, I was now craving puerh.

The stillness of our romantic yoga time was then shattered by the hospital helicopter flying back to Chapel Hill for the night. (We live in walking distance of the hospital.). It was flying low and we were even momentarily raked with the lights as it flew by.

A few minutes later when I am turned the opposite way from how I had started, I am hit with the smell of dog poop. Ah well. Nature. What can you expect? It must be wafting over from the recent pile. Then….gasoline. Gasoline? I tell my husband. He says it is probably from the woodsplitter he was using day before yesterday that is sitting pretty close to the dog poop. I tell him I think I preferred Eau de Poop to the gasoline smell.

Yoga done, we gather our things and head back in to the house. “Oh,” hubby says, “there is a gas can sitting right there near your head. And the pooper scooper. With some nuggets in it.”

I suggest that he “romance-scape” a little more carefully next time!

So now that I am craving the lovely, nature-y, woodsy smell of puerh, we are having this lovely cake in the living room with our tea tray on the floor, which is thankfully pretty free of any other aromas.

Lexie Aleah

This was extremely entertaining to read. :)

Ubacat

I really enjoyed reading about your attempt at romantic outside yoga! :-)
My fav yoga music is Yoga Breathe by Chris Phillips & Donald Quan. I tried finding yours on ITunes but but nothing came up.

gmathis

I needed a giggle. Thank you!

Jlvintagelove

thank you for the imagery and the laughs =)

Evol Ving Ness

Ah well, parts of it were certainly idyllic. Thank you for inserting us into your lives for a moment or two.

mrmopar

She was having ‘poo air’ after all….. ;P

ashmanra

mrmopar: I certainly was! Ha ha!

Thanks for the samples, wonderful people at Teavivre! It’s always great to receive samples that I know I’ll love. I’m in love with this ripe pu-erh! I used most of the sample, probably seven grams for a full mug (Teavivre suggests five grams). The cake looks lovely with golden leaves threaded through the dark leaves. The flavor is absolutely lovely — all steeps are so smooth and sweet but with a great depth of flavor, but tough to describe specific flavor notes. No offending pu-erh flavors here. The scent of the dry leaves has the scent of hay. This ripe pu-erh is quality delicious. The color of each mug is deep burgundy red. Sitting outside with the mug on a cool day as the cup cools gives the flavor more of a bready biscuit flavor that I just love, with just hints of cocoa. Biscuit bready pu-erh might be my favorites. I don’t think this is a pu-erh that increases my appetite, so I like this pu-erh for that too. I should have steeped these leaves many more times — the flavor would have continued being perfect. I’m not sure if I use too many leaves of ripened pu-erh, but they are impossible to overleaf and I think I prefer the flavor that way anyway. I’d love to buy a cake of this.
Steep #1 // around 7 grams for a full mug// 18 minutes after boiling // rinse // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 minute steep