Ya Shi Xiang Phoenix Dan Cong Oolong Tea

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Butter, Hay, Honey, Sweet, warm grass, Fruity, Gardenias, Leather, Floral, Green, Nectar, Peach
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “Before this sample from teavivre I hadn’t had the chance to try duck shot oolong but after being amused by the name so many times I had it added on to an order at teavivre. Normally I prefer...” Read full tasting note
  • “So at long last, I finally got my hands on some duck shit oolong. I have long been intrigued by this funny sounding tea, but couldn’t bring myself to commit to a 50g bag. Thankfully I was able to...” Read full tasting note
  • “Very buttery taste and a strong floral aroma that lingers in the mouth. Slightly “green” taste due to the light roast, and a mild fruity sweetness. I’m having a hard time picking out any specific...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks for this one Teavivre! I believe that this is my first Dan Cong. I’m looking into exploring oolongs this year, which I’m learning is a lot more expensive than the black teas I’ve been...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Origin: Fenghuang Town, Chaozhou City, Guangdong Province, China

Plucking Standard: Two to four leaves

Fragrance: Light/Green oolong (slightly baked twice)

Dry leaf: Fat and bold strips, slightly twisted, dark green in color

Aroma:Fragrance of Gardenia flowers, fruits and milk

Liquid:Bright golden yellow

Mouthfeel: Taste mellow and sweet with floral fragrance filling in mouth, and delighted aftertaste. Be able to brew many steeps.

Tree Bush: Wuye Dan Cong (over 40 years old)

Tea garden: Shi Tou Jiao Tea Garden, about 950 meters altitude

Teavivre’s Duck Shit Aroma (Ya Shi Xiang) Dan Cong Oolong Tea belongs to light oolong. After first time baking for the raw leaves and second time for the dry leaves, the fragrance of this tea becomes especially prominent and long-lasting. Some tea lovers may compare this tea with Tie Guan Yin, since these two teas are all belong to high-fragrant oolong. However, compared with the “Guan Yin Yun” of Tie Guan Yin, Dan Cong also has a special “Shan Yun”, which endows the tea a fuller taste and a better balance between tea aroma and taste, so that creates the intoxicating scent and sweet liquid.

About Teavivre View company

Before this sample from teavivre I hadn’t had the chance to try duck shot oolong but after being amused by the name so many times I had it added on to an order at teavivre. Normally I prefer greener teas as a whole, less oxidized, etc but the warm honey and light hay notes I get from this oolong are excellent. It holds up to repetive steeps in my gaiwan and continues to deliver sweet warmness even later on. As I get into later steeps it become deeper and a little more pungent. I would whole heartedly recommend this tea.

Flavors: Butter, Hay, Honey, Sweet, warm grass

3 g 2 OZ / 70 ML

So at long last, I finally got my hands on some duck shit oolong. I have long been intrigued by this funny sounding tea, but couldn’t bring myself to commit to a 50g bag. Thankfully I was able to get a sampler recently from Teavivre. The ability to sample any tea is another reason why I love this tea shop.

This tea has a honey-gardenia flavor profile. It’s on the greener end of the oolong spectrum but has an ever so subtle roast that brings out hints of warm spice, honey, and almond. I enjoyed the crispness and mellow florals of this tea. Mouthfeel is rich and buttery. However around the 4th steep, it began shifting to a more savory flavor. It develops a bit of pungency and leaves behind a leathery aftertaste.

I had mixed feelings about this tea. It starts off great, but eventually turns soup-like with some odd flavors. Nevertheless, as a green oolong lover the roast on this tea is on point. It retains the delicate flowery notes and has a caramel edge without ever tasting roasty. I’ll likely revisit this tea somewhere down the road, this time with a fresher batch and/or a higher grade of duck shit.

Flavors: Butter, Fruity, Gardenias, Honey, Leather

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 4 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
Evol Ving Ness

Yes, agreed. The ability to sample any of their teas speaks to both the generosity of the company and to the fact that they believe in the quality of their teas. There is so much to love about Teavivre.

Very buttery taste and a strong floral aroma that lingers in the mouth. Slightly “green” taste due to the light roast, and a mild fruity sweetness. I’m having a hard time picking out any specific notes on this tea, but it’s quite nice.

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Green, Nectar

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Thanks for this one Teavivre! I believe that this is my first Dan Cong. I’m looking into exploring oolongs this year, which I’m learning is a lot more expensive than the black teas I’ve been getting.

This one is nice: buttery, florals, and a hint of peach. I’m drinking it Western this time, which I think I prefer.

Flavors: Butter, Floral, Peach

This tea is a medium oolong with a baked floral aroma, which is contrary to its name. Ya Shi Xiang, according to Teavivre’s description, translates to Duck Shit Aroma. I guess the person who named this tea only fed his ducks flowers. It has a buttery sweet taste with flavors of flowers and a little creaminess. There is a touch of savoriness and the flavor is quite complex. This tea is definitely something I would drink again.

Flavors: Butter, Floral

205 °F / 96 °C 4 g 5 OZ / 147 ML
Rasseru

The story goes that the farmer had a tree of such amazing aroma that everyone came from miles around to take illegal cuttings. So when they asked where the good tea came from he told them the wrong tree.

If they asked about the right tree he would say ‘no, not that one, it smells like duck shit’ and the name stuck

A-House

Thanks for the back story. I figured there was an interesting tale behind the name.