Arakai Spring Flush Black

Edit tea info Last updated by Roswell Strange

From Terroir Tea

AUSTRALIA | QUEENSLAND
With qualities of a Taiwanese black tea, this award winning Australian tea will please your palate with its smooth and malty brew.

Flavour
Wood, walnut, malt, sweet and spice
Harvest
Estate grows Yabukita, Sayama Kaori, Yutakamidori, Meirokyu, Fushin and Okumidori Japanese varietals; tea is a blend from three or more varietals
Leaves are picked using a custom bike harvester with two bicycles supporting a Kawasaki pruner
Processing
Taiwanese-style
Withering – Shaking – Steaming – Rolling – Drying
Slight oxidation during withering
Elevation
580 metres

About Terroir Tea View company

Currently sipping on this one.

This is a really interesting Australian black tea that I got my mom to pick up for me on her vacation to BC; it was one of a couple teas from Terroir Tea Merchant that I was specifically interested in. I’ve had a few green teas from Australia now, but I think this is my first black tea? What’s really interesting to me is that basically Australia is modelling their tea growing after Japanese practices – but Japan isn’t exactly renowned for the black tea, are they? So I’m curious what exactly this will taste like…

The dry leaf is certainly inviting enough though; lots of sweet malt and cocoa notes coming off it, and a bit of an earthiness? I wonder how that will translate flavour wise.

Steeped up, I’m enjoying this one a lot! It’s very smooth and full bodied, with a thick soup that coats the inside of the mouth. The top notes are sweet, and are all elements/flavours that I would sort of associate with being inside of a bakery: malt, cocoa powder, honey, fresh baked bread, molasses, and a touch of cinnamon. The body is a bit deeper, a little more savory while still being sweet: malt, wood, dark chocolate, raisin bread, and maybe even something kind of like leather?

The finish is the really interesting part to me, though. It’s a lot less sweet than the rest of the sip, and has a bit more of a burnt toast and dense black pepper kind of thing going for it on top of that malty quality. It’s tickling the back of my throat in a similar way to how blends with actual black pepper or peppercorn in them do. It’s also a little drying.

I think right now I like this one on the whole, but I’m curious to explore it a little further and see if the flavour profile is consistent to what I’m getting from it now. I wish it was just a touch sweeter going into that finish because the black pepper tickling sensation isn’t my favourite thing ever. It’s not a deal breaker, though.

MrQuackers

Royal milk tea is quite popular. That uses other countries black tea like Assam or Darjeeling. :)