Spicy Chocolate Rooibos

Herbal Rooibos Blend
Ancho Chili, Cinnamon, Cocoa Beans, Dark Chocolate, Flavors, Organic Honeybush, Organic Rooibos, Saffron
Chocolate, Cinnamon, Spicy, Sweet
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet
Caffeine Free
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita
Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 4 g 16 oz / 473 ml

• “Trick or Treat! This sampler came from the Here’s Hoping Teabox, so thank you to tea-sipper for organizing and all teabox contributers! I prepared this as a small pot of tea in the evening, to hit...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks so much, Angry Tea Room! This is a tea company I feel doesn’t find enough notice on Steepster. They have so many delicious sounding blends! Here is a lovely no caffeine option that I was...” Read full tasting note

From The Angry Tea Room

A spicy chocolate tea made with organic rooibos. This combo is winner! Inside this blend are chiles that have a sweet and fruity flavor with a spicy finish. Dark roasted cocoa beans and cinnamon balance out this tea. This tea definitely has a kick. Delicious on a cold day! Even more wonderful with milk and a touch of sugar.

Brewing Suggestions:

1½ tsp. tea

8 oz. boiling (212°) water
Steep for 5 minutes

Ingredients: organic rooibos, cocoa beans, organic honeybush, cinnamon, flavors, dark chocolate flakes, ancho chiles, pasille chiles, saffron [Contains Dairy]

About The Angry Tea Room View company

Trick or Treat! This sampler came from the Here’s Hoping Teabox, so thank you to tea-sipper for organizing and all teabox contributers! I prepared this as a small pot of tea in the evening, to hit that evening sweet-tooth craving while not having to worry about caffeine.

The dry leaf had a very sweet chocolately scent, a bit like cinnamon and nutmeg mixed with powdered cocoa, and it also came off as just slightly floral to me. The steeped cup has a very nice cinnamon spice aroma with a hint of cocoa in the background, but I’m a bit of a spice-wuss, so I’m a bit scared of the amount of chili in the blend… But it honestly did not have the kick I was worried about. Really, the tea just has a warmth to it that ends up feeling quite cozy. The rooibos/honeybush base has more of a sweet chocolately note than tasting much like either of the base teas, though I wouldn’t say the chocolate is extremely strong, either; present and noticable, sweet, but not rich or overpowering. The cinnamon is the dominant flavor, and it starts off quite sweet on the tongue, but then the warmth of the spicy chiles settles on the back of the tongue, leaving the finish of the sip slightly spicy, and with a warm, satisfying feeling down the throat and in the stomach. The spiciness doesn’t unpleasantly linger, but I’m sure the tea would also take a bit of milk well to taste, for those even more spice sensitive than myself (and I consider myself pretty sensitive!)

I had my reservations, but this turned out really nice. I’m glad I decided to try this despite the scary “spicy” word and two types of chiles in the ingredients. It reminds me of Mexican cocoa, if the chocolate notes were toned down a bit.

Flavors: Chocolate, Cinnamon, Spicy, Sweet

Boiling 5 min, 0 sec 4 g 16 OZ / 473 ML
derk

I’m a sucker for chocolate and chili combinations in food and drink. This sounds delicious.

Mastress Alita

I love Mexican Hot Chocolate, but I’m a spice-wuss so the kick can’t be too hot. I was surprised how tame this one turned out, but it was really nice. There is a tea that has slight more kick, so I usually make it latte style just to hit my personal comfort level, that is divine, which is Portland tea shop Tea Chai Te’s Rainforest Chai. It has Guittard cocoa powder and chai spices… and it is their “mild” chocolate chai, they have a “Chipotle” blend that is similar (and still has that yummy Guittard cocoa!) that they describe as a “spicy kick in the pants.”

derk

Oh glob, a chocolate chipotle chai? Yes please.

Blergh, they’re sold out :( Going on the wishlist.

Mastress Alita

Tea Chai Te is? I always thought they blend to order, so that is unusual. They make the best chais, though! I love making golden milk out of their Parvati’s Golden Chai, which is a turmeric base.

Thanks so much, Angry Tea Room! This is a tea company I feel doesn’t find enough notice on Steepster. They have so many delicious sounding blends! Here is a lovely no caffeine option that I was very interested in trying. It sounds like a Mexican hot chocolate: plenty of chocolate ingredients, plenty of spicy ingredients with a rooibos and honeybush base. I love the addition of the saffron…it gives the blend a look of flames! I went with one heaping teaspoon as I didn’t want to overdue it with the promise of spicy ingredients. However, I shouldn’t have worried. The spiciness isn’t too bad. I could have handled a little more heat. It isn’t like some heat blends that use a lot of cayenne pepper powder. If anyone is worried the spices will be too much for you, don’t! The flavor has a nice cocoa flavor to it. Plenty of cocoa! The rooibos/honeybush base is of the very smooth sort. None of that offensive rooibos. It’s the good stuff, which is probably helped with the additional honeybush. On the second steep, the cocoa takes a backseat and the spicy flavors turn up. More cinnamon than heat, but a nice balance anyway. A unique blend I haven’t seen anywhere else. I’m not sure why this wasn’t called ‘Angry Chocolate rooibos’ though!
Steep #1 // 1 heaping teaspoon for a full mug// 8 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Steep #2 // just boiled // 4 minute steep

MrQuackers

Did they give you a free sample?

S.G. Sanders

I need to try this company’s teas soon. I’ve had such a long wishlist that I often don’t get to the ones that I want to try for a while. I might knock them up on the list for Autumn/Winter. This sounds like it’d make a great tea for those seasons. :)

tea-sipper

I did ask about samples because I was planning an order (especially for the Maple!) and Angry Tea Room was awesome and sent some over. They said they don’t mind sending samples within the US. There is also a coupon code for 10% off: tea10