SAÏGON

Green Tea
Bergamot Oil, Cornflower Petals, Flavors, Green Tea, Lemon Oil, Papaya, Pineapple
Fig, Floral, Pineapple, Tropical
Medium
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita

• “Soooo, lotus. I have never (or not yet) had plain lotus tea. I have seen it for sale, plain lotus on chinese grocery stores, but never quite dared (most of tea in the local chinese grocery stores...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thank you Barbara for sending me this sample! It’s fruity, it’s floral, it’s something I can’t quite put my finger on. The smell of this tea brewed didn’t really stand out as anything unique, but...” Read full tasting note
  • “You have to be careful to brew this tea according to the instruction or the lotus and fig will not be noticeable. However with correct brewing temp and time it’s a wonderful and very refined tea. I...” Read full tasting note
  • “I was in mood for green tea; and why not to try a new one from Dustin? Thank you a lot, I wouldn’t order myself there! It was random choice from three being sent, and turned out great. While the...” Read full tasting note

From THE O DOR

Saïgon’ by THEODOR is this flavored green tea, fruity and floral, that makes me want to escape reality and to travel…

When I was a child, I repeatedly and endlessly heard ‘Old times were better times!’ or ‘in my time… we were drinking tea in Saigon with flavors of lotus, lemon and fig and there was no telling what tomorrow would bring…’.

Who do they think they are? Every single day, in Paris, I go shopping, visit museums and stand by the Eiffel Tower to look at the sky… What else could I do?

MAJOR NOTES: Exotic fruits

INGREDIENTS: Green tea (Origin: China), Papaya pieces, Pineapple pieces, Cornflower petals, Flavors (Prickly fig, Lotus), Essential oils (Lemon, Bergamot).

INFUSION TIME: 2 to 3 minutes
TEMPERATURE: 175 °F (80°C)

About THE O DOR View company

Soooo, lotus.

I have never (or not yet) had plain lotus tea. I have seen it for sale, plain lotus on chinese grocery stores, but never quite dared (most of tea in the local chinese grocery stores seems to be intentionally medicinal and/or for slimming and taste even worse than you would expect. Very dangerous places to buy tea if you are not totally sure what you are doing).

I think I am learning what lotus brings as a flavoring by comparing mentally teas that I have had which have had lotus as a flavoring (this, elixir d´amour), though not sure that is leading to the right image. Sultry and floral maybe.

Barbara and I have been swapping teas and since we are both fans of Theodor teas, we have been sharing a lot of our Theodor purchases. This is an interesting blend she sent me, one which I have been half eyeing towards purchase. Green tea with fig, and named saigon, ah, tempting (though admittedly just about everything from Theodor sounds tempting). Barbara has warned me about being careful when brewing this. I got to test with the rest of the sample, but I think I followed close enough. The result was lovely but I think I am probably not a lotus person (if I can figure out what lotus is). The fig was maybe in the background a dried fig like flavour and it was mostly a sultry floral-type. I could not detect the lemon. The tea base was lovely and not bitter.

Not rating this right now, since I want to try brewing this a couple more times to figure out if I am really brewing this right. And what lotus is supposedly to smell like!

Thank you Barbara for sending me this sample!
It’s fruity, it’s floral, it’s something I can’t quite put my finger on. The smell of this tea brewed didn’t really stand out as anything unique, but the taste has much more depth to it. At first I thought I was tasting peaches, but now as I taste a slight perfume like freshness on the sides of my tongue, I’m thinking roses. Not the overdone synthetic perfume rose flavor, but a true fresh rose petal flavor. The more sips I take, the stronger it tastes. My mouth feels a little dry after each sip with inviting me to drink more.

Now I’m reading the description of the tea to see what the flavors were… fig and lotus! Fig?! I mistook fig for roses? Now that I know what that flavor was, I can clearly taste how it is fresh fig off the tree, reminding me of how much of my childhood I spent up a fig tree. It amuses me that fig and rose have similar taste qualities, something I had never linked in my head before and I wonder how well they would pair.

This tea is really well rounded and has a rich quality to the taste that I enjoyed to the last sip. I’m intrigued by the unique ingredients, but I think I need to have another cup before I give it a rating.
Barbara

Funny to see how tastes differ. I put the floral note to the lotus and the sweetness to the fig :-)

Dustin

I don’t think I have ever tried lotus flavoring before, so I really can’t say what it tastes like. I wonder how similar the taste of lotus and fig are.

Barbara

I’d think not too similar, but then again before this tea, I’ve only tasted lotus as part of tea and fig as dried fruit. So who’s to say how the one or other would taste fresh… :-)

I recently discovered Theodor and love the unique and often experimental flavouring and their packaging. I’m less thrilled by the fact that instead of lists of ingredients the website only gives a characterisation of the tea by way of a ‘story’ which does not always include a full recounting of the ingredients.

cteresa

This sounds lovely – but like you I have had some very good experiences with Theodor teas. But you spotted precisely my pet peeve with their site, I could so do without the fancy stories! But my trick is to search for part of a tea name or an ingredient, the search results will be up to the point, short description!

Barbara

Thanks for the tip. I’ll certainly be trying that!

It was random choice from three being sent, and turned out great. While the aroma in pouch wasn’t saying much to me — some floral, perfume like scent, I decided to give it a try anyway.

I have used two teaspoons per 300 ml, while I haven’t checked recommended preparation at all. As a green, I did my best to have water temperature around 80°C. But as it is started to steeping a mellow tropical fruits-floral notes started to waft through all the kitchen where I was preparing my breakfast. After two and half minutes I took the strainer off and took a sniff. Oh my… so wonderfully pineapple scent! With some, again, florals beneath. I coud not wait to take sips of this tea.

In taste it is floral with pineapple notes. They say there should be “Prickly fig” aka Opuntia and while I have very limited experience, I think it’s there! Maybe there are some other tropical fruits in taste too (as it was somehow generic tropical for me, and they say papaya pieces are in).
Lotus? Not sure… but again, very limited experience with this ingredient — only What-cha’s Vietnam West Lake ‘Golden Flower’ Lotus tea.

Hmm… glad I have this tea!

Flavors: Fig, Floral, Pineapple, Tropical