2018 Zhangshu Hu Ali Shan Oolong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Leafhopper
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 4 oz / 120 ml

1 Tasting Note View all

• “Inspired by a recommendation from Liquid Proust, I bought six teas from this company, which I’d never heard of, for Christmas. Even though I’ve tried only two of them, it’s safe to say I made a...” Read full tasting note

From TheTea

Fresh spring high mountain oolong from Taiwan. Low oxidation and gentle roasting. This tea growing near Zhangshu Hu lake is highly flowery with nice oily texture combined with amazing grassy freshness. When tasting this tea you will find orchid, citrusy aromas and sweet notes of almonds and butter. Liquor is sweet and balanced. Bitterness appearing in further infusions makes this tea even more interesting!

About TheTea View company

1 Tasting Note

Inspired by a recommendation from Liquid Proust, I bought six teas from this company, which I’d never heard of, for Christmas. Even though I’ve tried only two of them, it’s safe to say I made a good decision. Following the instructions on the website, I steeped 6 g of leaf in a 120 ml teapot at 212F for 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 50, 60, 90, 120, and 240 seconds.

The dry leaf smells floral, nutty, grassy, and faintly citrusy. I was wary of steeping it in boiling water, but this tea can apparently take it. I get notes of grass and sweet citrus, followed by lighter notes of nuts, orchids, and cream. Even hitting it with boiling water, there’s no astringency. The citrus becomes kind of like a mandarin orange in the second steep and a slight bitterness emerges. The citrus morphs into grapefruit in the third steep, and I get vegetal hints that remind me of spinach. Swishing it around in the mouth reveals the roasted almond in the description. I can kind of see how the body can be described as oily, though I’m not very good at detecting such things.

I let the fourth steep cool and it’s vegetal and bitter with some nutty undertones; it’s probably best to drink this tea hot. As the session winds down through the next five steeps, the tea loses the citrus but retains the floral, creamy, vegetal, and grassy flavours.

I usually find Alishan oolongs to be all about the florals, but this one had refreshingly diverse flavours. (The citrus was a particularly nice touch.) The brewing method let me see how the flavours evolved, although I could have extended the steeps farther apart near the end of the session. It was well worth the $16 I paid for 50 grams.

Flavors: Almond, Blood orange, Citrus, Cream, Floral, Grapefruit, Grass, Nutty, Orchids, Spinach, Vegetal

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 4 OZ / 120 ML
Daylon R Thomas

Out of stock. Crud.

Leafhopper

Yeah, it’s a shame. They seem to keep a lot of their out-of-stock items on the site for some reason. Their Gui Fei is also excellent, though, and I think it’s still available.