Creme Au Caramel Rooibos

Caffeine Free
Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by Mastress Alita
Boiling 6 min, 30 sec 10 oz / 295 ml

• “First to review this in spite of being sent it from not one, but two people?? Ok…! Steeped, the smell is definitely reminiscent of DavidsTea’s Creme Caramel Rooibos. Not surprising. Sweet and...” Read full tasting note
  • “Amanda – Thank you!!! I hope you don’t mind…I’m going to share the batch you sent me – with others :) This has a CRAZY INTENSE Aroma…mostly Caramel and Super Sweet Rooibos prior to infusing. After...” Read full tasting note
  • “I purchased this tea from Steepers, a tea shop in Campbell, California, and I’m not sure where they source their tea from, but from what I can tell, the blend is identical to this one. This is one...” Read full tasting note

From Tropical Tea Company

Country of Origin: South Africa
Region: Cedarberg
Shipping Port: Cape Town
Grade: Choice Grade #1
Altitude: 1500 – 2500 feet above sea level
Manufacture Type: Fermentation turns the leaves from green to deep red and gives a slightly sweet notes.
Cup Characteristics: The opening bars are sweet toffee notes building to a full symphonic caramel. An ‘I want more’ finish.
Infusion: Bright, highlighted with Caramel pieces and Calendula petals.
Ingredients: Luxury rooibos, Caramel pieces, Calendula petals, Natural flavors

About Tropical Tea Company View company

Steeped, the smell is definitely reminiscent of DavidsTea’s Creme Caramel Rooibos. Not surprising. Sweet and caramelly and delicious, but not nearly as strong (DT’s is rather overpoweringly sweet).

Taste-wise, this is definitely a bit different. I can taste the rooibos, but it’s secondary to a light caramelly flavour, which is actually quite tasty. Tasty enough for me to have almost gulped down my whole mug already. I think I could have used an extra 1/2 tsp or so of the dry tisane (I used three heaping 1/2 tsps already in my regular-sized mug) just to make it a little stronger, since I like my teas flavourful.

I can’t recall if I steeped this one for four or five minutes the first time, but the second infusion was for quite a while (i.e. I forgot about it). The second infusion has less flavour overall, but the rooibos is even more in the background compared to the caramelly notes. Probably worth the second infusion, but perhaps in half the amount of water to concentrate the flavour a little more.

Thanks for the sample, Amanda!! I think I’ve almost gone through my whole package from you now :D

momo

problem with constantly trying new things: I have yet to even taste all I ordered from them, ugh

Kittenna

Hahaha, I suppose I have that issue too! I was just surprised!

momo

when I just read the first sentence I went and looked at my spreadsheet for specifically never tried teas and it’s severely upsetting. drowning in tea!

Kittenna

Oh yes. I have bajillions :P Trying not to think about it, but at least I tried four (?) new ones today!

Azzrian

LOL did I send you some of that too? I have some of that.

Kittenna

Yup! You sure did, Azzrian :D I tried the sample from Amanda tonight, but they’re identical. Really, I should just combine them :P

Amanda – Thank you!!!

I hope you don’t mind…I’m going to share the batch you sent me – with others :)

This has a CRAZY INTENSE Aroma…mostly Caramel and Super Sweet Rooibos prior to infusing. After infusing it smells a little more like toffee.

The flavor is pretty good! It’s certainly a caramel flavored rooibos. But it’s a little light on the creme. That’s ok with me, tho!

I guess it has more of a creamy texture than a taste/flavor, if that makes sense. It’s pretty good, tho! So glad I got to try this one!

momo

Share away! I still have way more than what I sent you!

Tea and Trees

That sounds delicious.

This is one of my favorite dessert teas, though I admittedly have to use a lot of leaf to get the sort of nice, rich flavor that I really love. At a tablespoon of rooibos, the tea has this lovely toffee flavor with some subtle caramel notes, while managing to not be overly sweet and allowing just a bit of the rooibos base to come through. I also found that, unlike many of my flavored rooibos, this one resteeped for me fairly well with an increased steep time, perhaps from the increased use of leaf, and I can manage to squeeze a few extra cups out of it while still getting a pretty decent flavor. This is a nice tea to hit a sweet-tooth craving around bedtime, since it is caffeine-free.

Full review: https://teatimetuesdayreviews.wordpress.com/2017/02/07/tea06/